Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, INFJs! This INFP is very, very, very much a perceiver. Because my letters are so similar to yours except in this one regard, I feel it would be a taddddd bit easier to comprehend the enigmatic judging trait if I heard your perspective. It's not so far away!

So, INFJs, why do you love being a judger? :3 Why are plans important? (I don't know much about the judging trait, but "likes routines and is not spontaneous" seemed like such a dry description. I could look it up and read more into it--but I want to hear stories and your personal experiences!)

·
Registered
322 Posts
1. save time, I don't need to think about what I should do next.
2. keep myself busy, when I finish my work, I will know what I'm going to do next by looking at my plan.
3. neat, I can get anything I want without searching for it in a messy place.
4. keep everything up to date.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
It kinda gives me a sense of control over things bcz i know that even if i plan, something might happen that will mess with my planing . So this way i will feel prepared. Otherwise i'm stressed. I also do it so i won't forget doing something that is important .

Reactions: Alaya

·
Registered
27 Posts
true, spontaneity isn't our strongest suit. the J part indicates our preference for structure and a level of organization in our lives. we want that sense of closure, for things in life to be settled instead of just left open and undecided. we have a fetish for orderliness. there, we said it! :angry: predictability just makes life 10 times less stressful than it is, i suppose. i know that not all things can go exactly my way, but it doesn't mean i can't still try :tongue:

i wish i was like you perceivers who aren't control freaks but can just go with the flow and don't mind trying to adapt (really, how do you guys do it? bastards.), but life is kinda crazy as it is, and our desire for order is just because we want to make it out alive. i prefer to know whats coming next and what i'm up against so that i can figure out a way to deal with it beforehand. its just helpful in getting me through the day. having to deal with things on the spot and out of the blue with no form of preparation whatsoever will just force me to turn to alcohol.

still, like you said, INFPs and INFJs are obviously not very different, but you guys probably get invited to parties more. again, bastards. :dry:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I find that my judging nature and tendency toward planning and organizing, affords me extreme efficiency in handling the more mundane aspects of my life, and grants me great latitude with concerning the manner in which I dispose of my personal time. I am actually extremely lazy, and want nothing more than to indulge that laziness, which has lead me to a pattern of what Heinlein labels “constructive laziness.”

It likewise assures that I manage my income such that I am well prepared for possible financial misfortunes, whatever their source. It allows me to hedge my bets, and arrange my income such that I have sufficient funds available for any eventuality, while simultaneously granting me a comfortable, if simple, lifestyle. And it lets me splurge when and where I wish, and still pay my bills on time. Most importantly, it guarantees me utter independence, something that is very important to me. I’d rather eat shit than have to ask someone, anyone, for money or support.

My penchant for, and expectation of, punctuality assures that no one’s time is wasted, and builds a pattern of trust on both sides that such time will not be wasted in in the future. As you can tell, my personal time is very valuable to me, even if I end up doing nothing more exciting with it than wasting it…. Being late for something, regardless of what it is, makes me feel antsy and defeated.

It is very difficult for me to function without a plan. Much of what must appear to others as spontaneous decisions on my part (such as suddenly flying to southern Mexico), are almost always the result of a plan, if only hastily cobbled together over the course of a few days. Usually, they are the result of serious planning and list making, sometimes years.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I think a lot for me comes down to efficiency. I even plan in video games, if you can believe that. In World of Warcraft, your character can amass currency, and use this currency to buy better armor. Better armor = stronger character. I plan out which pieces I am going to buy in what order to maximize efficiency in time investment and getting the most "bang for my buck" so to speak. There are other ways to get armor in the game, a lot of which involves random factors, so I even consider that. I would hate to spend 2 hours gaining currency for a piece of chest armor only to get an equal piece randomly a few minutes later. You can't plan for randomness but you can take it into account.

That is just a silly example. I have to keep in mind that everything can't be planned for, and not to stress out when I can't plan for specific stuff. I can however plan for unknown things in some ways, such as saving up an "emergency fund" of cash. I may not know specifically what the emergency is (such as a washing machine going out) but I can tuck away cash to help cover it. Cash doesn't cover everything, but you get the idea.

I sometimes don't plan my meals and I end up spending way too much on food. If I don't plan my day, things that are time sensitive get neglected sometimes.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Reactions: Ntuitive

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Planning is the only way to get something (important) done (imo). If I don't plan I don't know what I'm doing or where I'm going. These days I haven't been planning very much. I can be very spontaneous about little things. When it comes to things that don't matter a whole lot then I don't even bother planning certain details. Someone might say to me,

person: what are you doing saturday
me: I have nothing planned
person: oh ok do you want to see a movie?
me: ok
person: what movie do you want to see?
me: i don't know we'll decide later
person: alright cool
me: bye

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
planning reduces anxiety for me. I'm not a fan of uncertainty.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I feel like it prepares me mentally for whatever is ahead. I even plan conversations and such. I will think of what I'll say, what they respond and all the possible outcomes and what then. Part of that is probably caus we INFJs tend to be misunderstood a lot, so I want to make sure to minimize the chances of miscommunication. Therefore, I plan.

I also love making lists, they make my time feel purposeful. I feel like I'm getting things done if I'm able to cross things off a list etc.

And all in all, I like to know the schedule of my day. Everytime I'm meeting up with friends I want to know the exact time we're supposed to meet. Often my boyfriend will tell me that he'll be "over my place tonight", but for me tonight is really vague! I want to know exactly when and what time so I can plan the rest of my day and relax without having to wonder about it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think judgers, in general, are the ones who make things happen. We're the ones who make the plans, nail down times, locations, and keep to those plans. We organize, delegate and arrange, and make sure everyone is where they need to be.
It's the perceivers that keep us grounded, remind us that change is okay sometimes, and keep things fun.
We're both needed in society- it would be a very rigid power-struggle in life if we were all extreme judgers, and not a whole lot would get done if everyone was an extreme perceiver. ;P

As a person with very strong judging preferences, I find that planning and scheduling keeps me prepared and calms my anxiety. "Not knowing" is extremely uncomfortable for me, and, essentially, to compensate for that, I try to control the situation.
But I also find that I'm rarely unprepared. I don't procrastinate (unless I'm under extreme/chronic stress, bringing out my ESTP shadow, etc...), and I get things done before I relax. I feel that I'm a productive and successful person because of my judging preferences.
It's just all about keeping it under control...I love having a perceiver around to help remind me to relax and go with the flow!

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
A few things..

I know... Here comes Arclight with his quest for accuracy. I'm sorry.. If you are an INFJ.. it will happen to you too. Your tertiary function WILL rise one day. :)

So.. INFP and INFJ are not at all alike functionally. It's more than a one letter difference.

INFJs are N doms INFPs are F doms. INFJs are functional opposites to INFPs.. Ni/Fe/Ti/Se Vs Fi/Ne/Si/Te
You should be able to tell them apart with ease.

Now for some J and P info.

J and P like I and E are more about the direction flow of your functions.. N/S and F/T..
Although there is truth to the standard descriptions of J and P.. Saying it's all about "planning" and "going with the flow" is not entirely correct.
J's direct their main action function toward the outer world.. P's main action function is directed inward.

For example.. INFJs will appear very flexible due their J.. crazy eh? J determines that their action function is extraverted. Their main action function is F Extraverted F.
INFPs will actually appear more rigid because their main action function is directed inward.. Introverted Feeling.

It's fascinating stuff.

This page is quite good at explaining it.

Myers Briggs Personality Types Code, page 2

·
Registered
275 Posts
Plans get things done. With a good plan, not much can get in the way of a goal. What I think is weird/cool is that plans actually tend to make me more flexible in turns of events. If something comes up, I have a way to work around it intuitively and still get whatever I was set out to do accomplished. Shuffling things around in my mind is kind of fun too...

·
Registered
545 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm organized or planned out to a high degree. It does lessen my anxiety if I get things done, so there's nothing hanging over my head. Being late and/or missing deadlines does also irritate me. When there isn't anything important, however (which is a reasonable amount of my personal time), I prefer to kind of go along with things. It's part of the reason I'm a big fan of ENFPs, since there's always an adventure to be had going along with their whims. I also enjoy lazing around with my INTP.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
I love love making plans. I plan for everything. It keeps me structured and gives me direction.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
So, INFJs, why do you love being a judger? :3 Why are plans important?
Plans aren't important, I don't like them nor do I do it often. The only plans I might do are related to work, and occasionally when I have a series of tasks to do in my free-time. "Do X first, then drive here and do Y."

The reason I've gotten away from planning is because INFJ's have a tendency to get carried away with their future plans in life. It was an unhealthy habit of mine because I routinely failed to realize those plans.

I am not spontaneous. I'm a person of habit. I also like events to be arranged in advance... not because I can plan them out, or schedule... I just hate being surprised with something, having to do it right now. It's calming if I can think, "Well at least I have a couple of days before this happens."

It's just a mental thing rather than anything practical.

I don't really love being a judger or not... not really sure what a judger is because when addressing the cognitive functions, there's no such thing as a judging function. Though, often the J/P distinctions have some truth to them, it's just not absolute.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
because they are a way of placating Ni into believing that we really have ultimate control over our future and can prevent all of the worst potentialities it has generated

because they satisfy the J impulse to leave nothing everlastingly open-ended, to order the external world in line with the internal

because with plans a busy person may fail to complete everything, but without plans such failure becomes inevitable

·
Banned
627 Posts
Plans give me a reason to get up in the morning, instead of sleep in.

It makes me look ambitious to others and gives me the recognition I crave.

I live each day as if it were my last one, and ask myself what do I want to be remembered for. This is my guide for planning my day.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
If you fail to prepare........

prepare to fail!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts