Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was listening to the Death Note OST on YT and I noticed that a hell of a lot of people like and cheer for Light, and how sad they are he died.
What is bloody wrong with these people?
Light was sick as fuck. He thought himself to be justice? A god? Hell no.
For starters, let's leave the criminals alone. Why did he kill the people after him? What injustice had they committed? They opposed this so-called god. Yeah, surely that has to be justice beyond reasonable doubt.

Now the criminals. Supposedly he never killed guys that felt remorse or admitted their guilt, yeah right. But what about the rest? They never were given a fair trial to prove their innocence, were they? There's bound to be some people that were innocent, but were arrested by the police due to circumstantial evidence. Where is the justice there?

Also, he thinks he is a "god", for god's sake. Isn't that thing enough to classify him as batshit crazy? There are just so many things wrong with him that I don't even know where to start. I was simply disgusted with the protagonist.

Now, people that like Light, explain what is it that is likeable in him. Be warned that I may judge you that there is something terribly wrong with you.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
He became really arrogant towards the end (and that's what killed him), but in the beginning he seemed like someone who tried to make the world a better place by killing criminals ,so people who support corporal punishment saw his actions as justified.

As about the innocent people he killed...I guess his fans think they were necessary sacrifices for the "greater good".

I personally found him annoying and too much of a Mary-Sue(a teenager who tricks everyone, including the Interpol? Really?) and I didn't agree with his opinions in general.

·
Registered
872 Posts
He was pretty much an asshole, perfect example of power corrupts. I never finished the series because I hated him for killing literally everyone! Even L, which I found out prematurely thanks to stupid YouTube comments.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
i thought he was an interesting character, extremely intelligent and resourceful, so i can see why people might be upset he died. you dont have to morally agree with everything he did, in order to enjoy the colour of having a egotistical character can give to a story

·
Registered
859 Posts
Meh, a lot of people are rotten anyway. Also, I like rooting for the underdog, in this case, things that aren't human, like plants and other animals. Why do we as a species get to wipe everything else out for our own benefit? Down with anthropocentrism!

·
Registered
872 Posts
i thought he was an interesting character, extremely intelligent and resourceful, so i can see why people might be upset he died. you dont have to morally agree with everything he did, in order to enjoy the colour of having a egotistical character can give to a story
True this. Even though he was 'evil' he was still a well written character.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True this. Even though he was 'evil' he was still a well written character.
No. Johan from Monster is an example of a well written character. Light is not.

i thought he was an interesting character, extremely intelligent and resourceful
Except, I was not impressed by his "intelligence" at all. The plan with the camera in the bag of chips was retarded. The plan where he used the bus to get the FBI agent to reveal his identity was one hell of a big stretch. There are waaaay too many things that could've gone wrong there. Thus, I could not identify his so-called intelligence.

To me, it seemed the anime made itself over-complicated, when in truth, it wasn't much of an anime. The only part that really amazed me was exactly at the beginning, when L was first introduced and determined that Light was somewhere in certain region of Japan.

On a side note, why the hell is everyone in high-school or in their 20's in anime?

Reactions: ForestPaix

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks Death Note is a really overrated anime? The characters were unrealistic and I couldn't like any of them (except for L maybe, he was pretty unrealistic too but at least I could tolerate him). It also became really boring after L died (it's not only my opinion, lots of people I know think so).
Also, am I the only one who really hated Misa?

Reactions: Noir

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Am I the only one who thinks Death Note is a really overrated anime? The characters were unrealistic and I couldn't like any of them (except for L maybe, he was pretty unrealistic too but at least I could tolerate him). It also became really boring after L died (it's not only my opinion, lots of people I know think so).
It's the most overrated anime of all time. Oh, and I hated almost all characters, ranging from Rem to Kira.

·
Registered
872 Posts
No. Johan from Monster is an example of a well written character. Light is not.

Except, I was not impressed by his "intelligence" at all. The plan with the camera in the bag of chips was retarded. The plan where he used the bus to get the FBI agent to reveal his identity was one hell of a big stretch. There are waaaay too many things that could've gone wrong there. Thus, I could not identify his so-called intelligence.

To me, it seemed the anime made itself over-complicated, when in truth, it wasn't much of an anime. The only part that really amazed me was exactly at the beginning, when L was first introduced and determined that Light was somewhere in certain region of Japan.

On a side note, why the hell is everyone in high-school or in their 20's in anime?
Hmm never heard of Monster.
Yeah, I tend to agree with you as well, in that light, what teenage kid thinks of perfect set ups, and stuff like the camera in the chips, and stupid bus incident which he used that girl, realistically, he would have left some loophole and screwed up somewhere. He was 'too' smart to be a realistic character, he could have been better written, as he was an interesting character, in that light, but he's too 'smart' too powerful. It's definitely not the greatest anime out, but then again most animes have very frustrating bit, probably most of the reasons people hype it, is the concept of the Death Note, and L and Light fangirls.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Having only seen about 1/4 of the anime, I can only judge what I've seen, but yeah, Light was too powerful with basically no weaknesses to be realistic. L was a memorable character, the only characters I really remember are him, Light, the guy and his fiance that Light killed. Once I knew L was doing to die, I quit watching. Most animes are full of unrealistic characters, but then again, this one is set in the real world, so hence it kind of calls for believable characters.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having only seen about 1/4 of the anime, I can only judge what I've seen, but yeah, Light was too powerful with basically no weaknesses to be realistic. L was a memorable character, the only characters I really remember are him, Light, the guy and his fiance that Light killed. Once I knew L was doing to die, I quit watching. Most animes are full of unrealistic characters, but then again, this one is set in the real world, so hence it kind of calls for believable characters.

This is actually 1000x better than the series. And this guys is more interesting than Light.

Reactions: ForestPaix

·
PerC Waiter
2,398 Posts
I can't say for sure, but I think that the reason people root for Light is because it's basically part of the premise of the show: the choice between very many extremes on the morality spectrum. We have Light, the representative for "do anything to make the world a better place", though corruption and egocentrism tainted that; L, "do anything to solve the puzzle", because he saw the whole thing as one big game; Soichiro Yagami, the classic "do the right thing at all times"; and so on and so forth. Making the characters unrealistic, the way I see it, was to further accentuate this idea to make it easier for the fans to choose a side without explicit laying out what side is supposed to be good. As far as why everyone's so "smart", I can only guess that that's to keep the story moving. Had they not been, we would've either been stuck on one stupid plan for a long time, or everything would go so smoothly that the story would be over before it actually started.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Light was the first Walter White. In the beginning we're behind his cause, however we slowly watch his power corrupt him and he goes from being a protagonist to an antagonist. The true tragedy was his fall, someone so intelligent and full of potential so easily corrupted and no redemption. That is why most, I wager were sad when he met his demise.

Both Light and Walter start upon their paths with good intent, Walter wanting to create a nest egg for his family before he dies and Light wanting a world without evil, however they both end up becoming the very monsters they're trying to rid the world of.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Light was the first Walter White. In the beginning we're behind his cause, however we slowly watch his power corrupt him and he goes from being a protagonist to an antagonist. The true tragedy was his fall, someone so intelligent and full of potential so easily corrupted and no redemption. That is why most, I wager were sad when he met his demise.

Both Light and Walter start upon their paths with good intent, Walter wanting to create a nest egg for his family before he dies and Light wanting a world without evil, however they both end up becoming the very monsters they're trying to rid the world of.
Your premise is wrong. Light did not start with good intentions. He was just an insane serial killer. People that commit different crimes deserve punishment, after a fair trial and after everything was taken into account.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Your premise is wrong. Light did not start with good intentions. He was just an insane serial killer. People that commit different crimes deserve punishment, after a fair trial and after everything was taken into account.
I'll have to disagree, Light wanted to rid the world of evil and he was given an opportunity to do so via the Death Note which ultimately corrupted him. His noble quest turned into a vanity project, it was no longer about ridding the world of evil but outsmarting L. If Light was insane from the off, he would have killed people indiscriminately, regardless of whether they were innocent or criminals.

The story is one of a fall from grace, the slow and eventual corruption that power brings.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll have to disagree, Light wanted to rid the world of evil and he was given an opportunity to
Not every criminal is evil. Read "Les Miserables". And do not tell me he checked what everyone was doing, because that would be impossible. Therefore, the criminals do not entirely represent evil. Some of them might have "noble" goals of their own. Some might've killed to prevent someone else from being killed and so on.

via the Death Note
Everyone has a right to live and to die, if they wish so. No one else gets to decide who lives or who dies.

His noble quest
There is something terribly wrong with you. There wasn't anything noble about his stupid fantasy. He wanted more "to become a God" than the cheesy bullshit of "ridding the world of evil".

outsmarting L
Yeah, L lacked the benefit of having an overpowered weapon AND an invisible being. So, L kind of outsmarted Light by a lot.

If Light was insane from the off, he would have killed people indiscriminately, regardless of whether they were innocent or criminals.
In, like, episode 2 or 3, he kills the fake L because he "dared oppose his highness the God Light". That was his crime.

So, to me, Light wasn't at all someone with "a noble goal". But then again, I'm from Romania.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Not every criminal is evil. Read "Les Miserables". And do not tell me he checked what everyone was doing, because that would be impossible. Therefore, the criminals do not entirely represent evil. Some of them might have "noble" goals of their own. Some might've killed to prevent someone else from being killed and so on.

Everyone has a right to live and to die, if they wish so. No one else gets to decide who lives or who dies.

There is something terribly wrong with you. There wasn't anything noble about his stupid fantasy. He wanted more "to become a God" than the cheesy bullshit of "ridding the world of evil".

Yeah, L lacked the benefit of having an overpowered weapon AND an invisible being. So, L kind of outsmarted Light by a lot.

In, like, episode 2 or 3, he kills the fake L because he "dared oppose his highness the God Light". That was his crime.

So, to me, Light wasn't at all someone with "a noble goal". But then again, I'm from Romania.
You seem to applying Lights mental state to my own world view. I agree that not all criminals are evil, I'm simply speaking from Lights point of view. He saw them as an evil and that the world would be a better place without them, I however; do not share this view.

You seem to be applying too much emotional baggage upon a simple work of fiction. I reiterate, the story is one that highlights how power can corrupt and the very thing we set out to destroy, we inevitably become. "He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."

No, there is nothing wrong with me, please refrain from using argumentum ad hominem, again Light himself saw that ridding the world of those that do evil was a noble undertaking, and again this is NOT a view that I share with the character. I reiterate AGAIN the story is highlighting a protagonists journey to becoming the antagonist.

Indeed, L had Light on the ropes for a lot of the narrative and Light was simply playing an intense waiting game, finding the opportune moment to pen L's name in to his Death Note.

And again... Light killing the fake L is showing Lights slow corruption out of the starting blocks. He justifies it by believing anyone standing in his way to rid the world of evil is an enabler of evil, until L becomes so much of a hindrance to his plans that L becomes the main focus of his machinations.

So, I say again, I'm not aligning myself with Lights world view, I do not agree with his motivations or methods, I'm simply arguing from his point of view which he meant well, but was corrupted by his power.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You seem to applying Lights mental state to my own world view. I agree that not all criminals are evil, I'm simply speaking from Lights point of view. He saw them as an evil and that the world would be a better place without them, I however; do not share this view.

You seem to be applying too much emotional baggage upon a simple work of fiction. I reiterate, the story is one that highlights how power can corrupt and the very thing we set out to destroy, we inevitably become. "He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."

No, there is nothing wrong with me, please refrain from using argumentum ad hominem, again Light himself saw that ridding the world of those that do evil was a noble undertaking, and again this is NOT a view that I share with the character. I reiterate AGAIN the story is highlighting a protagonists journey to becoming the antagonist.

Indeed, L had Light on the ropes for a lot of the narrative and Light was simply playing an intense waiting game, finding the opportune moment to pen L's name in to his Death Note.

And again... Light killing the fake L is showing Lights slow corruption out of the starting blocks. He justifies it by believing anyone standing in his way to rid the world of evil is an enabler of evil, until L becomes so much of a hindrance to his plans that L becomes the main focus of his machinations.

So, I say again, I'm not aligning myself with Lights world view, I do not agree with his motivations or methods, I'm simply arguing from his point of view which he meant well, but was corrupted by his power.
Sorry if I offended you, but I've had really rough day and things are not looking like they are about go get any better. Still, that is no excuse. I apologize. Do not get me wrong, I stand by my point, though I've conveyed it in a bad way.

EDIT: I thought your views were the same as his. Your post kind of makes me think that way, especially the bolded words. Guess I made a wrong assumption.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts