Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so first why I posted this thread here.
It might escalate (it sure has the tendency), so I figured I will put it here, unless some mod / admin or other members think it should be moved. However, better safe than sorry.

So, this is something that was brought to my attention (again) because of the Astrology-Thread we have. And I think I kinda have to side with the Fs for a moment here. Because I am curious.

So, why is it, that everything that is *unlogic*, such as Para-Sciences or also more simple stuff like Astrology, Numerology etc; is supposed to be "something Fs believe in"?
It's like saying "Yeah, well, Fs are totally unlogic (because feelings are sooo unlogic), so it must be them believing in this *stuff*".

Now, I am not gonna say that only NTs think that stuff (because it's untrue and it would only be feeding more stereotypes). But I would be interested in your theories about the why. Or, if you are one of those persons who believe Fs are unlogic yourself, please feel free to elaborate. I am curious.
Also, all you Fs out there: Feel free to share any *accusations* like those you have heard as well. I am highly interested.

·
Wizard
3,135 Posts
I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to say this before I can let myself address any of the many lovely points I'm sure you just made. After which, I'd be more than happy to oblige any and all questions you may have.

Unlogic?

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
She means Illogical, Trope.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Not only is unlogic misnomer:

Para-Science? As in counter-science?
Don't you mean Pseudo-science?

Aside from that, I would say that pseudo-scientific beliefs are not F-type typical.. There are T-types that fall into such categories also.. Need I mention conspiracy theorists? Apocolyptic prophets and a number of snake-oil merchants.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Umm, did you mean Unlogic, Nephilim? Illogical is the correct phrase for that sentence, unless she wants to get technical and I've seen more NTs call NFs stupid idiots than illogical morons. So stupid might fit better.

However, I don't believe NFs are illogical as I already explained to her.

I also didn't know INTJs made up words.

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also didn't know INTJs made up words.
Hehe, yeah we do. At least all the ones I have met so far.

Umm, did you mean Unlogic, Nephilim? Illogical is the correct phrase for that sentence
Enjoying making fun of my *nickname-word*? =P

Not only is illogical a misnomer
Jzst using the word that other people like to use to betitle the Fs. But I put the word into Asterisks anyways, which means that it's a quotation or a "nickname". Should have specified I guess.

Well, I mean anything. Wormholes, Time-Travelling, Astrology, Numerology, Tarot, Conspiracies, Aliens, Ghosts, Demonology...everything.
Not sure how to call those to express that I mean EVERYthing on that branch. Is there even a name yet?

Aside from that, I would say that pseudo-scientific beliefs are not F-type typical.. There are T-types that fall into such categories also.. Need I mention conspiracy theorists? Apocolyptic prophets and a number of snake-oil merchants.
Great to hear. Thanks, I appreciate this input. It's what I have experienced as well so far =)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would guess that F's have a greater tendency or are more inclined to believe (...though I think there could be a better term) in things such as the paranormal, para-sciences, Astrology, Numerology, etc. because these areas have a 'knowing' about them which does not correspond to any empirical paradigms or processes. Psychic phenomena and occurrences have little or no logical or reasonable explanations, which would appeal more to T's perhaps than taking them on their own merit. Astrology works (...when done properly and within its own parameters), yet there is no rational or logical reason why it should work. Similar for Numerology, the Tarot and other such mediums of divination. Channeling, when engaged in by one who can truly channel (...and these people exist), cannot be explained by science or logic, yet channeling occurs.

Such 'systems' and occurrences as these are not acted on by thought, but by a 'feeling' which seems correct. (...this is difficult to explain :frustrating:) Does a Tarot reader know what one is saying is correct? Yes. How does this person know? There is no explanation, there is just this 'knowing'. Where does this 'knowing' come from? Unknown. One just 'knows'. Collective Unconscious?

I don't think that F's are so much 'unlogic' (...I like this word, btw :wink:), as more inclined to trust what they feel over what they think in cases where thinking provides no answers to what one confronts. It is more an approach to the world. F's approach the world from a feeling standpoint, T's approach the world from a thinking standpoint.

·
Premium Member
10,519 Posts
I thought this answer would be quite obvious. Like EloquentBohemian says, most F types are more into subjects such as the paranormal because the answers to a given question is not absolute while there is no denying numerology. This is why you see more F's suffering from math than their opposite T's. I'm not saying all of course. This is just a general sense I get from all my speculations.

Reactions: vanWinchester

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'll come up with new words based on other words all of the time, but I always try to find the correct word so I don't sound dumb. I think it's our knack with systems that make us create plausible words based on the rules of our languages. I can see where "unlogic" would come from.

·
Wizard
3,135 Posts
So, this is something that was brought to my attention (again) because of the Astrology-Thread we have. And I think I kinda have to side with the Fs for a moment here. Because I am curious.

So, why is it, that everything that is *unlogic*, such as Para-Sciences or also more simple stuff like Astrology, Numerology etc; is supposed to be "something Fs believe in"?
It's like saying "Yeah, well, Fs are totally unlogic (because feelings are sooo unlogic), so it must be them believing in this *stuff*".

Now, I am not gonna say that only NTs think that stuff (because it's untrue and it would only be feeding more stereotypes). But I would be interested in your theories about the why. Or, if you are one of those persons who believe Fs are unlogic yourself, please feel free to elaborate. I am curious.
Also, all you Fs out there: Feel free to share any *accusations* like those you have heard as well. I am highly interested.
In two words? Intellectual rigor.

NTs draw distinctions, defining their world evermore whereas NFs strive toward the convergence of their many-faceted Truths. NTs poke holes in their own ideas and those of others, invalidating as much as possible so that whatever remains is strong enough to hold up to scrutiny. NFs seek to validate as much of any sentiment as they possibly can, only discarding when it becomes entirely necessary for the sake of the whole.

The other thing I wanted to bring up was that feelings aren't inherently illogical, but alogical. Illogic implies a poor or warped use of logic, whereas I don't believe feelings quite operate on those basic tenets to begin with, nor, for the record, do I believe they should. They're simply two diverging courses toward the same end goal.

Regardless of whether any of this makes sense, I'm going to bed now. It's 7 am.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Not only is unlogic misnomer:

*Raises Hand*

That would be I, William Wolfe, the Pseudo Science loving and Conspiracy Theorist ENTP. Now where in the world is Carmen Sandiego.

Anyways, now that the illogical or 'unlogic' point is out of the way I'll start my ramble.

NF's tend to be more drawn to the world of imagination more than any other type. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. This leaves them more open to believe things like 'Astrology' and 'Religions' without putting any 'logic' behind it. They look for ways to make them feel better, and/or feel closer to their imaginary world.

This doesn't apply to all NFs.

SF's are known to be the most emotional of all types. That's why every description has them as 'Cry Babies' for a lack of a better term. Not all SF's are this way but a great majority are. Their lead by their emotions. They seem to lack common sense sometimes because of it.

This doesn't apply to all SF's.

Anyways, and most Ts dislike people who follow things blindly. Rather that thing be something like astrology, or their emotions. This is actually quite hypocritical of us being we follow logic blindly sometimes. STs see NFs using no facts to back up their dreams or the things they follow and tend to get annoyed. NTs see SFs blindly following their emotions without putting thought into their actions and tend to get annoyed. The downfall of Ts are that we're arrogant. We thank because we're T's we have a right to always be right.

This doesn't apply to all NT's.

Well I hope that sums it up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think it is interesting to note that the way in which different F types approach the Para-normal, psuedo-science or the "Unlogical" is not the same. NF types in general seem to be more facinated by it's mystery and use to it explian their "unspeakable" knowledge but are still skeptical in their belief of it. While SF specially with Fe may tend to believe in the "unlogical" such as good luck charms without much speculation.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Reactions: Kevinaswell

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I can fix both of your systems, and make them better. That's why my system has no knacks except getting my thoughts to process clearly, but I think that is a trait not a knack.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey, hands off buddy, that belongs to us.
My bad. I guess I was just going by this description of INTJs.

...its source lies in the specialized knowledge systems that most INTJs start building at an early age...

INTJs are known as the "Systems Builders" of the types, perhaps in part because they possess the unusual trait combination of imagination and reliability. Whatever system an INTJ happens to be working on is for them the equivalent of a moral cause to an INFJ...

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I would guess that F's have a greater tendency or are more inclined to believe (...though I think there could be a better term) in things such as the paranormal, para-sciences, Astrology, Numerology, etc. because these areas have a 'knowing' about them which does not correspond to any empirical paradigms or processes.
I thought this answer would be quite obvious. Like EloquentBohemian says, most F types are more into subjects such as the paranormal because the answers to a given question is not absolute while there is no denying numerology. This is why you see more F's suffering from math than their opposite T's. I'm not saying all of course. This is just a general sense I get from all my speculations.
+1

Psychic phenomena and occurrences have little or no logical or reasonable explanations, which would appeal more to T's perhaps than taking them on their own merit. Astrology works (...when done properly and within its own parameters), yet there is no rational or logical reason why it should work. Similar for Numerology, the Tarot and other such mediums of divination. Channeling, when engaged in by one who can truly channel (...and these people exist), cannot be explained by science or logic, yet channeling occurs.
I disagree that it is not knowable/logical...There is some incredible work going on to show that it DOES work, and now they are starting to explore How. I'm going to have to break down and get a thread started on the science and pull my references. Sigh that's a lot of work and I'm mentally exhausted. So I'll do it when I hit a rare good day.

Reactions: PeacePassion

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Okay, so first why I posted this thread here.
It might escalate (it sure has the tendency), so I figured I will put it here, unless some mod / admin or other members think it should be moved. However, better safe than sorry.

Fs react to emotions, not thinking. That sir is illogical. They may not all do that, but it is their preference, so they do it more than often.

This makes them weak, their mind is WEAK, hense all the pictures of that crying person in the photo thread... So i bet Fs are bound to believe in religion or anything else that seems "happy" in their image. They think emotions are "logical" in their own way, maybe they are. But "logic" overrules emotions.(logic is in quotes because it is not something you can feel, you have to process it through yo head.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
This makes them weak, their mind is WEAK... But "logic" overrules emotions.
You are being one arrogant biggot. Do you really believe that because someone is different from you they are inferior? I find you logical types devolve into such illogic that it becomes the same as the NF "fantasy"... it just is a "logically" constructed fantasy. You sir do the same thing just from a different angle!

Example: the holocaust where they "logically" experimented on the "weak" and "inferior." They were so wrapped up in their warped logical fantasy they could not perceive the horror and atrocity of what they were perpetrating!

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Dude.

I'm kinda drunk still.

But.

I feel like this is just an INCREDIBLY redundant topic XD

Haha.

But I can see where your curiosity is coming from.

I'll respond much better later, 'eh? :) For sure.

P.s. My not-J ass makes up words too.

I disagree that it is not knowable/logical...There is some incredible work going on to show that it DOES work, and now they are starting to explore How. I'm going to have to break down and get a thread started on the science and pull my references. Sigh that's a lot of work and I'm mentally exhausted. So I'll do it when I hit a rare good day.
You'll NEVER convince the NT's anyway. Pretty frustrating?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts