Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking a very small sample here, so bare with my theory-crafting.

Positive Threads stickied:

If I had a choice, I wouldn't be anything but an INFP
date - 03-21-2010
posts - 101
views - 7,042

Negative Threads stickied:

The (stream of conscious?) venting thread for infps.
date - 06-06-2010
Posts - 350
Views - 7,791 <- after just one month

What pisses you off about INFPs?
date - 01-24-2009
Posts - 630
Views - 55,573

Yep..very ambiguous figures indeed, that really may or may not amount to much, but what i have noticed is that we tend to embrace the negativity in these forums while the inspirational/positive threads are left to collect dust. What does this mean? Well i dont really know what to say now because i lost my train of thought thinking which figures to bold and which to mark with wat color n so on. But i think it has something to do with our approach to life. We thrive on negativity, failures, set backs just as normal people thrive on positivity, success, and fulfillment. We always ask ourselves whats holding us back from happiness? Well i say it's because we think happiness is boring and mundane. That if one was truly happy, it means he/she is ignorant, shallow, and blind to the ugliness in the world. We love the ugliness, just as they love beauty.
anyways, i think im going to make this paragraph purple.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
It's just feels better to vent and discuss the negative and insecurities. I like happiness, but it feels better to get out the bad stuff so I can feel happy.

4,757 Posts
I feel that, in general, we love to dwell and to wallow in the negative. Also, we tend to be very self-critical and tend to want to improve ourselves - as well as it seems like there is a lot of mental illness among INFPs. Another thing is that we value depth of emotion and it can be easier to achieve that when you're talking about negative things.

For me, personally, I feel like being too positive about myself is a slippery slope to arrogance and over self confidence even though I've been assured by my friends that I will never, ever be like that :tongue:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Okay, bear with me, sometimes I used mythological figures to describe archetypes. I think INFPs in particular are like Persephone.

Persephone was abducted and taken to the Underworld by Hades, and he eventually raped her. Zeus intervened and Hades was returned to her mother (Demeter, great Mother Earth). However, Hades had tricked Persephone into eating some pomegranate seeds, so Persephone had to return to the Underworld for a season each year, where she eventually married her former kidnapper and rapist, Hades, to become Queen of the Underworld.

Yeah, okay, that's not the most pleasant story in the world. But, as this site describes it:

So as in the myth, this [...] archetype is split between the innocent, naive and impressionable maiden, and the wiser, initiated, acquainted with 'darkness and death' Queen of the Underworld.

The Underworld in this myth symbolises many different things;

• the unconscious
  • the collective consciousness of humanity
  • our demons
  • the spirit world
  • dreams
  • the darker side of life
  • the realm of the psychic, unexplainable phenomena.
Through a tragic or traumatic event, Persephone is transformed from the innocent maiden into the Queen of the Underworld. This often occurs in the lives of women who strongly resonate to the Persephone archetype.
Though she didn't choose it and probably wouldn't have chosen it, Persephone has an affinity with and attraction to the Underworld, which includes, yes, darkness and pain. We are the ones with the great victim/martyr complexes from our time in the Underworld, but we are also the ones with the great compulsion and ability to guide people through the Underworld. It is our gift, our power, our essence, and yes, our burden, too.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
For the "stickied" part I don't know, but I'd suggest that in general I'm more likely to post something positive or supportive in someone's negative thread than a thanks message in a positive thread. I mean, how can we "heal" someone who is already positive? There are more needy causes (people) that require our help. I read such threads and press the thanks button, but rarely post.

The venting thread is great in that we don't have to feel bad for posting attention seeking (or so we generally see it) threads for every issue we face, they can just be lumped in together. Also I may "vent" then go and do something else and on turning my computer back on it reloads the thread, thus counting as a second view? Not sure on how the counter works, but it's a possibility?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also have to point out that the (stream of conscious) venting thread isn't all negative, It is actually one of my favorite threads in this forum because it gives me a little bit of insight to the thoughts, feelings, and ambitions of my fellow INFPs. Sure, there are plenty of negative (vent) posts there, but there are also a lot of hopeful, understanding, and inspiring replies.

·
Registered
926 Posts
For the "stickied" part I don't know, but I'd suggest that in general I'm more likely to post something positive or supportive in someone's negative thread than a thanks message in a positive thread. I mean, how can we "heal" someone who is already positive? There are more needy causes (people) that require our help. I read such threads and press the thanks button, but rarely post.

The venting thread is great in that we don't have to feel bad for posting attention seeking (or so we generally see it) threads for every issue we face, they can just be lumped in together. Also I may "vent" then go and do something else and on turning my computer back on it reloads the thread, thus counting as a second view? Not sure on how the counter works, but it's a possibility?
I agree. If it ain't broken don't fix it. Negative threads show danger. And danger needs to be dealt with. Happiness comes by itself ;)

·
Registered
622 Posts
I feed on negativity, and insecurity.
The more re-assuring I can be towards un-assuring my conversational partner, the more I enjoy myself.

Honestly, would you rather talk about someone who wants to get with a guy, or a girl complaining about her guy?
Neither 0_o?

Well sorry ~_~ I have no capacity for examples right now.
I'm at work, which means I need to work.
Don't you understand?

Geez...people don't have any sympathy anymore.
What's the world coming too?

...no seriously...let it go allready.

I said I was sorry...
What? You need a better reply than that? 0_o
What the hell dude. I'm just...okay fine...allright. Give me a moment to think! Dammit!

So okay, my examp...
What? I didn't get time to finish my sentince!
What do you mean theres no time?

Okay dude you need to calm down.
This is just a forum...no need to be so damn ser...
I get what you're saying...
...just give me a...

You know what! Why don't you go #$(# yourself!
...oh me first? :angry:

Well your mother then! There!
...err...dude...
...sorry I didn't know she's dead.
...what you were kidding :angry:

AAAGGGHHHH!!!

*Time for coffee ^_^

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I feed on negativity, and insecurity.
The more re-assuring I can be towards un-assuring my conversational partner, the more I enjoy myself.

Honestly, would you rather talk about someone who wants to get with a guy, or a girl complaining about her guy?
Neither 0_o?

Well sorry ~_~ I have no capacity for examples right now.
I'm at work, which means I need to work.
Don't you understand?

Geez...people don't have any sympathy anymore.
What's the world coming too?

...no seriously...let it go allready.

I said I was sorry...
What? You need a better reply than that? 0_o
What the hell dude. I'm just...okay fine...allright. Give me a moment to think! Dammit!

So okay, my examp...
What? I didn't get time to finish my sentince!
What do you mean theres no time?

Okay dude you need to calm down.
This is just a forum...no need to be so damn ser...
I get what you're saying...
...just give me a...

You know what! Why don't you go #$(# yourself!
...oh me first? :angry:

Well your mother then! There!
...err...dude...
...sorry I didn't know she's dead.
...what you were kidding :angry:

AAAGGGHHHH!!!

*Time for coffee ^_^
Ladies and gentleman, the inner voice of INFPs far and wide. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
First thread is kind "one-time-using". It was really good & uplifting story to read, but this thread is not place where you can randomly go and release your negative feelings.
The other two are like "recycling" threads where you can let out your negative feelings come out over and over again. When we are depressed or sad there is something inside of us what wants to come out and we just want to get rid of it. That leads us to sharing.
Yeah it's actually weird to think about this overwhelm of negative threads but when we are happy we don't feel very often a need to write something down...

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
First thread is kind "one-time-using". It was really good & uplifting story to read, but this thread is not place where you can randomly go and release your negative feelings.
The other two are like "recycling" threads where you can let out your negative feelings come out over and over again. When we are depressed or sad there is something inside of us what wants to come out and we just want to get rid of it. That leads us to sharing.
Yeah it's actually weird to think about this overwhelm of negative threads but when we are happy we don't feel very often a need to write something down...
thats basically what i was going to say. the ngtive ones are more reusable. and i'm not sure it's really negative, it's really valid alot of the problems we have,and when i'm happy it's simple-something good happened i can in point what it is and it's simler and less interesting to read.Alot of the time we jsut need to see someone cares.

Reactions: Coccinellidae

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
What can I say, I'm a sucker for the melodramatic.

Reactions: paperlily

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Reactions: Acey

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL but it is tru, it's weird reading my old threads cuz well ... half the time i was flippin high...(i.e this thread..)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Nice one Acey. I think it has something to do with the coffee: it's unhealthy and thus promotes negative talk :tongue:.

I think I need to find other colors for this forum heh :laughing:

·
Banned
982 Posts
I sure as hell am not. I like humorous threads. I guess I'm in the wrong section.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts