Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just an ESFP who is extremely interested in learning about your type! I love you ISTJs hahaha! It's that darn mysterious aura you all have that makes me keep wondering all the time... :blushed:

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
... because we're robots. :crazy:
Oh wait, robots don't smile. /Does not compute/

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
It's our curse. Because we are quiet, reserved, and think and feel deeply, people find us dark, mysterious and intriguing.

Or they may view us as robots.:tongue:

Reactions: Sela

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
It's our curse. Because we are quiet, reserved, and think and feel deeply, people find us dark, mysterious and intriguing.

Or they may view us as robots.:tongue:
Interesting that some people may view us in that light; I've always thought of myself as rather easy-to-read. What I say is what I mean, and I wish everyone else would, too (although I would never TELL someone that, so maybe that's where the "mysterious and intriguing" part comes in ... ???).

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
I'm just an ESFP who is extremely interested in learning about your type! I love you ISTJs hahaha! It's that darn mysterious aura you all have that makes me keep wondering all the time... :blushed:
we're bad motherfuckers.....oh, we're bad.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hahaha I think it's amazing how you all are such....robots. The main reason why I joined this forum is because I wanted to figure out my ISTJ ex. I find myself just examining his actions and motives everytime because he keeps to himself a lot. I'm very expressive...while he, on the other hand, is very aloof and seems emotionless. He talks in a monotone voice too, so I can never tell if he's happy, mad or sad. I'm also amazed at the ISTJ work ethic too; you all work so hard to achieve goals no matter the cost.

Maybe I love you guys because my mom and ex are ISTJs and I somehow get along with them lol. But sometimes I ask "what gives with the robotic tendencies? Live a little and show SOME emotion at least!"

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Hahaha I think it's amazing how you all are such....robots. The main reason why I joined this forum is because I wanted to figure out my ISTJ ex. I find myself just examining his actions and motives everytime because he keeps to himself a lot. I'm very expressive...while he, on the other hand, is very aloof and seems emotionless. He talks in a monotone voice too, so I can never tell if he's happy, mad or sad. I'm also amazed at the ISTJ work ethic too; you all work so hard to achieve goals no matter the cost.

Maybe I love you guys because my mom and ex are ISTJs and I somehow get along with them lol. But sometimes I ask "what gives with the robotic tendencies? Live a little and show SOME emotion at least!"
All kidding aside, I can assure you that we're not robots and we DO in fact feel ... in fact, our emotions run very deep and intense. I'm sure that you'll get a different opinion/reply from everyone here (because well, we're all different!) but FWIW, I would rather not get caught up in them to the extent that they control me.

Anyway, I generally don't talk in a monotone voice; I can get very animated depending on what's being discussed. However, when it comes to work (or household management, which is really work too, if you think about it), I'm of the mindset of "Do the steps. Get it done."

As far as the work ethic, it's just something that we do. If I'm not dead, I'll be at work on time and when scheduled. I figure that I can take care of myself once I get home. It's not someone else's job to take care of me; it's MY job to take care of me and if I AM sick, just leave me alone to recuperate in peace.

Also, when I'm working, I get paid to do a specific job. "An honest day's pay for an honest day's work" is the best way I can explain it. Granted, in my current job I get a LOT of leeway as to WHEN I complete my tasks (as long as it's done before I leave) but I have had jobs in the past where it wasn't so relaxed, and I've had to do things according to a rigid schedule (which suits me just fine ... ISTJ's ARE known for being comfortable with rules/policies/procedures!).

If a goal is important to us, we'll sacrifice in other areas to make sure those goals are met. If we don't think it's important, we'll put no energy into it. In the case of interpersonal relationships, if a partner specifically voices that they NEED (whatever it is, fill in the blank here) we'll move that up to the "priority list" and make sure that we put energy into that, also.

At my job, for instance: I'm VERY good at what I do (I am in charge of making sure that statistics/paperwork are done correctly/on time and documented correctly). Everyone there knows it. However, three years ago, we got a new Supervisor, who was the exact opposite of our previous Supervisor. Our new (current) Supervisor places more emphasis on interacting with our clients, which is NOT my strong point. It has taken me a while, but I realized that it was important to her that I do this. Therefore, I've made the effort to talk to them more, interact with them, etc. The other night, I sat in the common area with them and watched a movie and we all sat around and talked. My efforts have not gone unnoticed; the Supervisor mentioned to another coworker that she was impressed with me "coming out of my shell" ............. the coworker replied that "believe it or not, she (meaning me) doesn't have ice instead of blood if you get to know her." :crazy: :confused:

Hope this helps.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
@Sela--

You can leave my head any time now...:crazy:

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
@Sela--

You can leave my head any time now...:crazy:
We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. :tongue:

·
Registered
139 Posts
All kidding aside, I can assure you that we're not robots and we DO in fact feel ... in fact, our emotions run very deep and intense. I'm sure that you'll get a different opinion/reply from everyone here (because well, we're all different!) but FWIW, I would rather not get caught up in them to the extent that they control me.
Very good point. There are times when I'm kicking myself for not saying what was on my mind because I felt the cons would outweigh the pros going along with expressing it. When this happens I usually work to let things out subtly over time so that I still feel in control of how I'm showing them.

Reactions: niss and Sela

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Very good point. There are times when I'm kicking myself for not saying what was on my mind because I felt the cons would outweigh the pros going along with expressing it. When this happens I usually work to let things out subtly over time so that I still feel in control of how I'm showing them.
Me too. About 2½ years ago, I was SO angry over a situation that happened at work. Looking back, I know it was not the best way to handle it, but I felt like I'd followed the rules and was furious that someone had the nerve to try and throw me under the bus.

Here's what happened:

I was REALLY sick (more on this later) and called in to work two days in a row. The third day, I dragged my rear end out of bed and somehow managed to make it in (although I really SHOULD have stayed home). Anyway, of course I started feeling worse so I called in again on the following two days. (Recap: called in sick on Monday/Tuesday. Went to work on Wednesday. Called in sick on Thursday/Friday.)

Our employee handbook states that if an employee misses three or more CONSECUTIVE days that he/she must have a doctor's note to return to work. Since I didn't miss three consecutive days, I was not required to have a doctor's note.

One of my coworkers (she no longer works here, unrelated reasons) took it upon herself to tell the person that works the shift before me that I would HAVE to have a note to return to work, that she'd spoken to the boss, etc.

I called the boss directly and quoted the handbook verbatim regarding the attendance policy, as well as reminding her that I never call in unless I really AM sick (which everyone knows anyway; why this one employee was being snarky was beyond me), and cleared the matter up.

(As an aside, I DID end up going to the doctor, but not because of what the other employee had said. I was feeling really terrible and KNEW something was seriously wrong. Turns out I had the flu + upper respiratory infection and so yes, I really WAS ill.)

Getting back to the point, when I returned to work that following Monday, (and on three different prescription medications) I had to deal with this coworker. Instead of getting into a shouting match with her and pointing out that she'd WAY overstepped her authority, I simply did not speak to her. Period. For like ... two weeks straight. My message to her was very clear in my own mind; that I was displeased with her, and that I didn't need to interact with her in order to do my job.

It was a very immature reaction on my part, but I was SO angry I didn't trust myself to say anything logical, rational, and reasonable to her, so instead of getting into a shouting match with her I chose to just report to work, do my job, and leave.

So to the OP ... as you can see, we DO feel, and very strongly at that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Me too. About 2½ years ago, I was SO angry over a situation that happened at work. Looking back, I know it was not the best way to handle it, but I felt like I'd followed the rules and was furious that someone had the nerve to try and throw me under the bus...So to the OP ... as you can see, we DO feel, and very strongly at that.
I definitely see where you were coming from in that situation. I'm always prone to just ignoring direct confrontation as well. I KNOW it's a bad idea to bottle things up but at the time it always surfaces as the path of least resistance so I usually go with it. Because I'm prone to this I've worked hard to let go of grudges, though I still seem to allow the grudges to creep in initially. :dry:

I certainly relate to the frustration you had with this particular situation because I also hateee missing work or classes and things like that. I'm basically dying if I do (like when my gallbladder tried to kill me...but that's another story, lol). So I understand that you were already stressed because of this and very sick and adding someone overstepping their bounds to your disadvantage...a formula for an ISTJ nightmare. I mean...we have to do lists and schedules...they do not wait for illness or other inconveniences! Lol.

Reactions: niss and Sela

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
@ Sela--

BTDT. I agree it is not the best way to handle it, but then I've not always handled things the best way possible. In fact, it sometimes feels like I am sabotaging my own efforts.:frustrating:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Maybe because we don't follow the script that most people do and use mindless chatter.

Or that we think before we say something and makes sure that something has meaning.

That we choose not to have some superficial cheesy smile attached to our face when we don't feel like it.

Reactions: niss
1 - 20 of 33 Posts