Not attached to it at all?

Would you sell your eggs or sperm?
Would you be a surrogate mother?

Why/Why not?

Reactions: Berdudget and Sina

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
@Khys - Good question. I'll try to answer in the morning. My brain is shot ... hmm, maybe I'm not that genetically worthwhile. :kitteh:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
I'm not tied to my sperm, however I tend to operate under certain social and other contraints when it comes to who I deliver it to.
Oh Lord. New meaning to the milkman. Okay, time for me to go to bed.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
The attachment I feel for my eggs and uterus could probably be filed under civil liberties. I just don't want it or them to be invaded at all. There's no real emotional attachment for my eggs as I would typically release one each and every month if I ovulated. It's the size of a full stop (period), it's not something I can really see anyway.

No. I would not be comfortable with tossing my genetics out there for someone to use however they want (more than likely they'd be makin' a baby). I also would NOT be happy if my partner sold their gametes. I don't care if it's going to benefit some childless person out there. I'll admit it now, I'm selfish and I want their gametes for myself.

No I would not.

Why/Why not?
I would not wreck my body so someone else could have a child. There are women out there that will happily take your money to be an incubator but I'm not that kind of person. Again, I'm a selfish person. I won't pretend that I could do something that I'm not comfortable with. I have nothing against surrogates, more power to 'em. Then again, it doesn't make all surrogates selfless, especially if they're getting paid.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
While I am attached to the civil liberties that allow me to make choices with what I do with them, I am in no way attached to my genetic material.

Yes I would. I've attempted before, IDGAF about my eggs and I needed the money, but I was not in a position to attend all the necessary appointments to be approved for the procedure. Also they probably wouldn't have wanted my eggs anyway because I'm kind of defective and crazy.

No. No no no. Pregnancy is not going to be a part of my life experience. If I didn't have a debilitating fear of pregnancy or even thought I'd enjoy it, then I probably would be willing to do it for a friend.

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
I'm so attached to my eggs! Like Voldemort and his horcruxes!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Why are you attached to it?

I'm attached only in so much as I wouldn't want any of it to be used without my consent.

Absolutely not. Egg donation is a complicated, lengthy and sometimes painful process. The money's nowhere near good enough to compensate for the inconvenience. More importantly though, the absolute last thing I would want is for someone to show up on my doorstep in 18 years looking for "bio-mom" - definitely not something I would want to deal with.

No. Pregnancy is not something that I have any desire to experience. Ever. As with egg donation, there is also the likelihood of some kid showing up on my doorstep looking for "bio-mom" in the future. Not a risk I'd be willing to take.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm attached to my eggs from a civil liberties standpoint.

Also the thought of an adult child seeking me out also freaks me out as others have mentioned.

I would not be a surrogate unless there was some serious cash involved. $20k =no way. $100k = I'd think avout it

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts

Absolutely not. Egg donation is a complicated, lengthy and sometimes painful process. The money's nowhere near good enough to compensate for the inconvenience. More importantly though, the absolute last thing I would want is for someone to show up on my doorstep in 18 years looking for "bio-mom" - definitely not something I would want to deal with.
That's exactly how I feel. I wouldn't want to deal with being the biological mother and what that would entail. It's very likely that most children that are from a sperm or egg donor are interested in pursuing their biological parent. It's just not something I would want to have knocking on my door in however many years it takes them to find me.

I also have read that some children from sperm donors have behavioral problems due to the circumstances of their conception. Of course there will be people who grew up with no problem but others struggle with that. I don't want a resentful egg coming after me demanding to know why I donated them.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hehehe...a "resentful egg" coming after you...that made me lol

Reactions: Fizz

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Not remotely attached to my sperm. I could not care less what anyone does with it after it has left my body, as long as I do not have to pay for or take responsibility for it. I am quite averse to responsibility.

If I could find a buyer, certainly, as quickly as I can manufacture the little bastards. It pains me to think of all the money I have let slip through my fingers over the years.

If such a thing were possible, no. Too much headache, not enough return. I might do it if the money were right, and there were absolutely no chance of my being contacted in the future.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I kicked my genetic material's ass. And no, I would not sell any of my in house products, since the factories have permanently closed up shop.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
I seriously considered being a surrogate for a gay couple that I know. They're both good men, and their standards of raising a child meet my personal values. They would never hit the child in any way, shape, or form, and that's a huge deal to me. We also agreed that I would be able to be a part of my child's life, practically assuming the motherly role I would want. I would be able to spend one-on-one time with my kid often. Basically, instead of one or two people raising a child, there would be three of us... two dads and a mom. I almost agreed to it until I thought about the possibility of having a real family of my own with a partner who loves me on a deeper level. That's what I really want. I also didn't want my child to have to face the questions and the judgments... How come you have three parents? Ewww, his/her parents must be polygamists. And the bullying... your family is disgusting... your family is going to hell, etc. I don't want my child to have to face those types of things. I do want a child, but under the right circumstances.

More on topic, I couldn't simply sell my eggs or be a surrogate knowing that I don't have control over what's going on in my child's life. I am responsible for protecting that child. That child is a part of me, and if I'm not going to be able to be there to protect it and take care of it, then no one else can either. I would die if my egg went to a family that abused my child. I would never forgive myself.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Eggs/sperm/fetus.

I'm not attached to my eggs. I've never understood the need or desire to pass down genetic material. There are enough people destroying the planet without my kids' contribution.

Why/Why not?
I would not sell my eggs because the process is highly invasive and would require hormone treatment, which I'm not okay with. I wouldn't be a surrogate mother because it would be risking my own health and destroying my own body for something I don't even really support in the first place.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I just want sex and I will ride on whatever platform that gets me there. :wink:

Reactions: twoofthree

·
Registered
285 Posts

I am attached to it to a certain extent, in that it is mine, and how it is used should be entirely up to me. So, I guess I would have to go with the "civil liberties" angle...

I can't see myself selling my eggs... The entire process just seems like a hassle. And I'm uncomfortable with the thought of having offspring somewhere out there, whom I don't know and have never even seen before. I wouldn't like the idea of my partner selling his sperm either. Sorry, but the idea of other women having his babies all over the place just doesn't sit too well with me. And there's the issue of whether or not the children would eventually come looking for me, or my partner (depending on who did the gamete donation...)

No. I'm not interested in messing up my body so that some other couple can have a child... and the compensation is not good enough, in my opinion. I'm not going through pregnancy and labour unless it's for my own child. I don't have a problem with surrogate mothers, mind you... I just have no desire to be one.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I would consider selling my eggs simply because genetics don't define who your child is. I know families where the adopted kids are closer to the parents than the bio kids. The eggs aren't my kids yet.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts