Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
If you're gone

I'm not. I have tons of information on my facebook. Quotes... my favorite books...

I'm psyched at the opportunity to represent myself. I figured most INFJs would be the same because in general, we feel so misunderstood.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Answer me these questions one:
-why are you scared of facebook?
INFJ's are generally loathe to reveal themselves and rightly so.
Your "Live and Let live" istp philosophy is not shared by the majority of the populace.

Facebook as an entity is where the jerkiness can be turned up to 11, normal social games of ostracism can go from a very local "had to be there" phenomeonon to a 50 people in 50 countries just participated in some type of orchestrated jerkiness. In short it amplifies human foibles via groupthink and pseudo-anonymity.

Facebook would be vastly improved if people were randomly picked and punched in the face.

·
Registered
440 Posts
pros
-it's sort of fun allowing me to type in whatever unique thought or phrase pops up in my head
-i can reunite with old friends
-i can look into fragments from many different interesting lives

cons

-distracts my mental processes that are better allocated to work
-it hasn't got a decent managing function where i can delete and add things more flexibly... and sometimes it's spooky when i thought i cleaned and deleted everything on my wall once in for all, and suddenly pops up details from my dirty past!
-sort of eats away my time and feeds my already too big ego, makes me more self conscious or even care about other people's reactions
-makes me envious of other people's lives at times -stupid
-it could be a bit shallow way of interacting with people.. things like 'like' function for example
-sometimes naked old strangers wants to add me and i get surprised

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Why do you think we're scared of facebook?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was never a fan of it, I only recently got one to keep in touch with some people who live far away, but I still rarely use it and my privacy is as private as it gets:tongue:

Idk why, but I just never wanted to add hundreds of people on facebook who I don't give two shits about and who don't give two shits about me. When I read the description of an infj and some mumbo jumbo about not liking superficial relationships I thought about facebook.

thats all I got

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so "afraid" might be the wrong word.

how about the word "Averse"?

I just feel like all my INFJ friends have this attitude of, "its dumb" or "it makes no sense."

I'm just curious what makes them act this way. I travel a lot so its the perfect way to keep in touch with people from long ago, its about as important as my cell phone.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's superficial - people can manipulate their profile/ posts to portray any sort of image they want. It's all about connecting to people on a surface level, and I don't really like this sort of connection. And I don't really get why wall posts are public so that anyone can view your conversation with someone else. I don't know, I prefer something more personal and less.. contrived/fake??

I guess it's good in a sense that I can find old friends and see how they're doing. I don't see how reading about other people's lives is so interesting though.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I already know Facebook is not exactly the place to seek meaningful connections. But I don't know about other people, I usually do not add random folks. Most of my 'friends' are old schoolmates, people I've known from one place or the other through one person or the other.

I go there to have a lil bit fun, cracking jokes, updating my status with weird stuff and what not. I'm away from lots of people i know, so it's a nice way of keeping in touch.

Also i just recently met a guy i really like off FB so, no, i'm not going to knock FB. I think it's one of those things in life that is really nothing but the value you place on it and the way you react to it. People join facebook, no one is recruited by force.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Not afraid, or averse... I do use it, by try to do so less... It takes up time, and is just a game to me anyway. For real relationships I need time one to one, so Facebook is to public for me. But it is a great tool for certain purposes, so I won't stop using it either.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'll be the first to nod to 'afraid' then :p I don't want my past finding me, the people including. I'd much rather focus on what I have now and new things. I use Facebook but under a false name and to keep track of companies, blogs and same-interest groups all in one place. There's a lot of useful information there, you don't need it to connect with people.
ETA I also have an issue with privacy, which I find is hard to control there and I also think FB is more unneeded 'work'. Like I have mail to check and other things, and now I have this. I guess you can put that app on your phone but I don't know, feels like too much to do and time. I get overwhelmed easily. Even the cell phone btw is something I haven't caught on with XD I used to not even have a home phone, I prefer e-mail.
I'm psyched at the opportunity to represent myself. I figured most INFJs would be the same because in general, we feel so misunderstood.
I also thought this. I love making profiles. I enjoy looking for new avatars and things to write about myself (._.) And if I'm in a different mood, I can change it right away. I remember liking Myspace more because you had the option of adding a background and music.. Facebook is so plain^^;;. I still have my space but I lost the password... I might just get a domain name instead.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
After moving around a lot, facebook to me was just a daily reminder of people I will never see again. It actually made me feel more lonely, not less.

Getting rid of my facebook was an excellent decision for me.

"But how will you stay in contact with your old friends?"

I wasn't doing that on facebook, anyway.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting responses.

Actually there have been times when I look at my pictures and say, "I look like a loser" and just delete them all and start over.

It is also kinda sad how I'll look back and say, "those people used to be my best friends, now I never see them anymore."

The false name thing is another thing that I've noticed 2 of the INFJ friends doing. I always wondered why.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
internet acquaintance interaction will never replace real interaction for me

my sister has an account on FB and she made one for me at the same time, but I never really developed it
all I see people doing there is exchanging short phrases and posting pics once in a while, something that says something about who they are - i can do this perfectly well all over the internet - discussion boards and mailing lists, forums, mmorpg games, etc. - in fact sometimes you can have discussions with random people over the internet whom you have never met before that will be better than discussions you can have with acquaintances you added to your facebook - so then what's all the hype about? i mean i'm not totally against it - has its uses - just that nowadays people think you're weirdo of some kind for not subscribing to one of these type of sites

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
yeah, i just have one so people will leave me alone. and i can be considered 'normal.' i rarely use it though, and i don't put any personal information on there beyond my name and contact info. acquaintances, friends, classmates can find and add me , but it's pretty deserted. it's useful for "social networking" - you know, people you want to "keep in touch with" but don't really have a deep relationship with. not my thang, but if it works, whatevs!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts