Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night, I was on a bus ride on my way back home. The bus was getting crowded and an old uncle came up and asked the guy sitting beside me to get up (as those seats I and he were sitting on were reserved for senior citizes or physically disabled I forgot). The guy next to me replied to him that he had a problem with his knee. The old uncle(not that old, maybe in his 50's) made a snide remark saying him to get up and prove it! Then he turned towards me and asked if I could shift. I was wearing my headphones and at once got up (despite having an internal bleeding on my left knee). The reason I got up was I could feel him returning from a long day of work supporting his family and it would be more frustrating for him and I absolutely hate taking benefit from my problem(Hemophilia) until absolutely necessary.

When I got up and began to stand He asked me to sit with him. (There could be some space created for another person between the two seats) So I accepted. When I sat in between I asked the other guy if he was comfortable, he was okay. I felt really happy seeing how we were able to serve each other in this situation.

*Sorry for grammatical mistakes or if you had difficulty to compehending my middle school writing skills.:crying:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Keep doing good stuff. It's good for you.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
<3

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I believe it is good for the humanity as well. :p

Here's the effect it can have. Some time ago, I was on the Metro. By a certain point, all the seats were taken, though when I had gotten on, there were plenty of seats, and so I had taken one. At the point at which it had become SRO, a woman well advanced in her pregnancy got on. To my surprise no one offered her a seat. I of course jumped up and motioned her to mine, which she took, after a moment of hesitation. Now to my point: Within moments, seeing what I had done, half a dozen other sitters stood up and offered their various seats to elderly, or disabled, or whatever. Doing the right thing encourages others to do the right thing too; not doing the right thing encourages others not to do the right thing too. I don't know if you'd call this being a showoff; but, to use the term, there's a societally beneficial reason to be a showoff in many cases.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the effect it can have. Some time ago, I was on the Metro. By a certain point, all the seats were taken, though when I had gotten on, there were plenty of seats, and so I had taken one. At the point at which it had become SRO, a woman well advanced in her pregnancy got on. To my surprise no one offered her a seat. I of course jumped up and motioned her to mine, which she took, after a moment of hesitation. Now to my point: Within moments, seeing what I had done, half a dozen other sitters stood up and offered their various seats to elderly, or disabled, or whatever. Doing the right thing encourages others to do the right thing too; not doing the right thing encourages others not to do the right thing too. I don't know if you'd call this being a showoff; but, to use the term, there's a societally beneficial reason to be a showoff in many cases.
No way I would call it a "showoff". If the something needs to done it should be done! You did a great thing! :)
To quote batman: "A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended."

I love people like you. Makes me feel good to be a human being! :')

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,601 Posts
In some ways, it's good that you are unique. People like you are very hard to find but it feels good when you do find them. It's better than being a run-of-the mill person. Those people who are not as thoughtful as you don't take the time to comprehend people like you. Some other people are just selfish and caught up inside of themselves. It's good that you remain thoughtful through all of this. Don't change who you are.

·
Banned
745 Posts
True. Empathy inspires empathy. I was watching a tv series about the human brain recently and one of the episodes was about empathy. They did an experiment where they brought people in and placed them before three bowls of chili - mild, medium and extremely hot. Their job was to decide which bowl of chili was going to be given to another test subject on the other side of a two-way mirror.

What they didn't know was that the other test subject was in on it. The other test's subject's job was to act like a total jerk to the subjects who made the chili decision when they were all entering the building together. Invariably when the test subjects recognized the guy who acted like a jerk, they chose the extremely hot chili to feed to him.

However, when they changed up one variable in this experiment, the test subjects were invariably more lenient and offered the moderate or mild chili in spite of the fact that the guy had acted like a jerk toward them. What did they change? They had administrator of the test show empathy to the test subjects as they walked into the room by exchanging pleasantries with them and offering them water. Before the administrator was very matter-of-fact and did not offer water. He had a neutral demeanor. But when he changed his demeanor to be more empathetic, it inspired the test subjects to be empathetic to the "test subject" in spite of the fact that he had treated them poorly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts