Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My classes are pretty easy and not all that interesting this quarter, and the homework assignments to them aren't required for a few days but they are time consuming. I find I'm putting them off because I enjoy dissecting my thoughts and theories here on PerC. Besides the classes getting more serious and requiring more of me, I don't see myself growing more urgency towards my studies.

I think the main reason I like the Enneagram is because it helps understand how others become motivated and I try to summon that within myself.

I've been wrestling with this feeling all week and its frustrating me that I can't follow my own discipline when it comes to school. Not that I'm a hypocrite, but I will be the first to admit that getting absorbed by your work isn't always easy, you have to summon up the passion.

I can't find magical words to say to myself to focus better, I would rather be learning things about the personality types or talking to people about how they are, in hopes of finding something to better myself. I think its a matter of trying to find a greater truth, but on the other hand maybe my talking on here is just a way to escape work :sad:

Got any inspiration for me?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Well, I will say that I had one semester in college where I had such a difficult time making myself do the work because all of my classes were pretty easy but tedious (except I had one that was so insanely difficult that I didn't know what was going on most of the time). That was pretty much a horrible semester. But, when I got better subjects the next semester I really loved learning about then, and everything went a lot better.

I wish you the best of luck, but I have no advice?

How would you say your type 1 enneagram affects your attitude towards studying?

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would you say your type 1 enneagram affects your attitude towards studying?
Well I have word processing. LOL they're teaching me how to use Word 2008, problem is I know how to use Word well enough to not take the class, but it is what it is. Being dragged through tutorials for hours bores me. There is no incentive besides getting the A.

That was a great question though, and really makes me think. The way an enneagram type 1 gets hyper motivated in this situation is to prove he's the most dependable, will always do correct, will always put in 100% effort, and would be the student for it. Perhaps I shouldn't just expect the easy A to come to me, but understand I need to go get the A no matter how many blasted tutorials I must suffer through.

I wish my parents just expected a lot of me, but thats not the case. The parents think I'm odd for pushing myself as much as I do, and all I want them to do is lean on me to better myself. Perhaps if they did I could feel the pressure of a type 3 and have superior work ethic. Granted if they did this all my life I could have become a type 3 and I wouldn't be the person I am now, which would be a downgrade from my perspective.

My feeling about college has been that 50% of the battle is motivation, and the rest is a matter of processing information to the correct degree.

Thanks for helping me pinpoint what isn't present for me to do my best.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I'd say it's more 80% motivation, 20% understanding the information you motivated yourself through. If I can force myself to read the chapters and spend an hour or two studying I make an A everytime. I have a hard time finding the motivation to even do that. Wish I had some advice to tell you to help you. Caffeine helps me to focus more. Putting yourself in an enviornment with no cell phone, no tv, no computer and your textbook in your hand couldn't hurt.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
*I* think you are escaping--putting off the drudgery of work you don't like for an interesting topic that you want to learn more about here. I've done it too.:blushed:

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*I* think you are escaping--putting off the drudgery of work you don't like for an interesting topic that you want to learn more about here. I've done it too.:blushed:
Ya. I think I kind of acknowledged that passively as I decided to put myself through it for the A. It's good for me to admit that stuff.

This thread is nice in the way its reminiscent of my first thread on PerC same subject, same problem, same raw emotion. Of course its frustration, thats the only one I feel comfortable sharing :tongue:

Alright no more PerC, no matter what. Off to studies I go for the night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts