Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What caused you to take the MBTI?
How did finding out you were an INTJ effect your perception of yourself?

I took it for a college class on creating systems. Basically a how to create and manage projects.

I was always looking for an excuse to be accepting of the way i am and not think my social ineptitude was irregular. But i also started asking myself did i want to be this way and could i/should i change. Thats a bumpy road to travel, to activly try and understand your own emotions especially if your good at pretending you don't have any.

So i'm curious to know what your experiences were.

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
What caused you to take the MBTI?
How did finding out you were an INTJ effect your perception of yourself?.
It was all a big "coincidence" in the first place. But I liked the whole system and it helped me a lot back then. I was in need to understand why "I am weird" and why "I don't mix well with others". Heh.

I still can't believe that at first I was just browsing the internet for Halloween-Candy; and then I ended up here through another forum who had MBTI ads allover. Weird.
However, it was one of the best things ever that happened to me. The MBTI system helped me to fill in some of the last blanks I had about people and myself. Plus I met some very extraordinary people because of it. There is 2 of them that are very special to me, even though I am antisocial. =P

Now I need to get a bit more into the other stuff, I guess. Makes a good combo.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Just randomly took the test on similarminds and then I got really into it around 8 months later I have learned functions as if they're the back of my hand, and I can type pretty much anyone fictional or real.

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
an INFP friend of 8 years forced me to do it because she said it would help her understand me better. Now I'm drifting between 4 types and she still can't understand me.

Reactions: Linesky

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
an INFP friend of 8 years forced me to do it because she said it would help her understand me better. Now I'm drifting between 4 types and she still can't understand me.
LOL, well you tell me how you want me to treat you and thats what ill do

·
Registered
606 Posts
My brother showed me a random personality test (the humanmetrics MBTI one) so I did and I got ISTJ. Nothing too exciting there.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I haven't taken the MBTI, but I've taken a lot of free online tests. I discovered it through Wikipedia. I like to read articles and follow wikilinks around until i'm on a page that has nothing to do with the original article I came there for. I ended up, somehow, on the Keirsey Temperament Sorter. While I was reading it I tried to determine my own type by figuring out for myself whether I was abstract or concrete, cooperative or pragmatic, etc. I ended up with Architect. The only online test for the KTS I could find was from the official website, but you have to pay five bucks for even the most basic results. Thanks to the "See also" section on Wikipedia, I found MBTI. I did the same thing as I did with the KTS -- trying to deduce my type on my own based on descriptions of the dichotomies -- and came up with INTP, which I found correlated with the Architect. This led to months of using INTP as a placeholder while researching the MBTI. The first free MBTI-based test I found gave me INTJ, several others gave me INTP. After a long time of research, I decided on INTJ but I'm still skeptical of the MBTI's worth.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
My career guidance teacher took classes individually and had us take the test to determine what jobs are personalities were most suited to.

I didn't think that was the proper way to do it since your personality develops as you get older.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I saw the test in mypersonality.info in someone's sig, clicked on it, took the test there. Got INFP, but I payed more attention to the percentages that to the combination of the four letters. I read some suggested jobs, but didn't explore the theory. I took it again about half a year later just so my banner would be up to date, got INFP again, took it again about another half year later, got INTP. Actually read about the type description this time. It suited me, but when I read INTJ it suited me more. I begin clicking the links to the different sites and exploring the theory behind MBTI and in order to determine my true type. By the time I'd taken all the information in in order to accomplish this, I was hooked.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I took a random personality quiz that told me I was an INTP, but didn't give me the name of the theory. For some reason, I looked it up on Google, was redirected to the mypersonality.info test, and got INTP. It was like love at first click. :proud:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd heard of it a few years ago but I decided to get around to taking a MBTI-based test after a conversation in the coffee shop with a dear friend who mentioned it.
So there you are.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I saw the badge from mypersonality.info in someone's sig on a different forum, and took the test just for "fun." After I read about INTJs and realized that there were other (slightly weird) people like me, I started doing more research and got addicted. Also, my AP Psychology class took the test last year, without knowing what it was testing. The teacher was pretty surprised when I told her I already knew we were getting typed. =P

I think it helped me come to terms with my social awkwardness, and it pinpointed what I had to improve on. I always knew I had to be more "social," but I never knew how to do it--and often felt bad about being introverted. I think that by understanding and accepting myself, I was able to start balancing my personality. And knowing how other people think helped me get a lot better at dealing with people.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well I took it because I was interested in how other people saw me, and personality all together. I just researched different tests and such,
I think it is pretty accurate.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I just stumbled upon an MBTI test while browsing the internet. I scored as a strong INTJ and the description was remarkably accurate, as it seemed to put into words feelings and ideas about myself which I had never been able to articulate. I agree that one should not use type as a crutch, but it can also be used in the opposite manner: to hone established strengths and to shore up weaknesses. True self-awareness is never a bad thing. Also, I think most, if not all INTJs like to be able to rationally systematize and categorize things. What is better than a way of logically systematizing that most confounding and illogical of all phenomena, human behavior? In subsequent research I am confident that I have determined MBTI's capabilities and its deficiencies.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I was seeking an answer to something that has frustrated me for years- I have always wanted to be an Idealist, but I am NOT an Idealist, I am actually a realist. I was wondering to myself, "Well, maybe I can get away with being an Idealist-Realist, wait, no, that is completely contradictory! I can't get away with that... It's no wonder that I am so frustrated, then, trying to be 2 things at once which just do not mesh. Well, let's see what the internet has to say about that." So, I googled these 2 concepts and... found Personality Cafe.

I then quickly had to accept that I am not an Idealist by nature, though I might wish this were so, it would require me to develop parts of my personality that have felt like shoes which are too big for my feet. It explained why I would attract an Idealist to me and be attracted to him and marry him. I was in a shocked awe at the irony of that. It made me laugh. I began to feel relieved. At the same time, I began to feel dread. I had chosen to pursue a relationship that would be fraught with conflicting ideas and had been so. My laughter faded to gloom.

INTJ fits me perfectly, except for the stereotype of being emotionless which does not apply to me. I've had to deal with depression since I was a very young child, probably since age 4 or so. I felt a lot of internal conflict and it showed on the outside, most often as frustration and anger. I could not talk to people with the rationality which I knew I possessed, because socializing requires a little something more- charm, charisma, confidence. Depression distracted me from learning socializing techniques... my different interests served to further distance me from classmates and family members.

I never did care to justify to people why it is that I would be just fine spending time alone (They thought I was weird- I laughed, I'm weird? YOU'RE the weird one, what's so bad about being by yourself? It's peaceful.) I felt like I was normal, but everyone else kept sending me signals that I was weird. I finally just said, "F*ck it, I'm weird, yeah that's right, I am weird. So are you, so, we're even. I don't have a problem with being weird, but for some odd reason you sure seem to. What's the big deal? Get over it." LOL.

Now that I am much older, the INTJ designation combined with my history explains a lot of why I did what I did, acted and reacted, leaving me to feel far less bizarre and much more at ease. I am able to accept specific causes for why I am who I am, because it all makes much more sense to me. I can understand that genetics combined with environment and diet among other factors are what caused my depression so young, and that I can change some of those factors to reduce the depression. I can understand that when I am able to make these adjustments, I have more emotion and energy to channel toward further personal progress. I can be myself, I can have emotions, without seemingly being a robot and without resorting to anger.

The INTJ personality designation is the piece of a puzzle which has allowed me to see my developmental progress in a cohesive fashion, at last. Also, as often as I've wished I could better understand people and how to deal with them and appropriately approach different types of people, I felt overwhelmed by the prospect. With MB I have a new set of tools with which to observe, interact with and learn from the people around me. This is a good foundation for me to have in any relationship, whether previously established or newly pursued.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts