Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
ISTP 5w4 sx/sp 583
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm arguing with someone on Personality Database and she is so obtuse to what the wings are. She thinks they're arbitrary and loose compared to tritype--even though, she arbitrary applies tritype based on wings (Like 5w4 has to be 54x). She totally misses the point of both Enneagram wings AND tritypes.

Can I get the best reason for why Enneagram wings have to be adjacent so I can let her know that it isn't arbitrary as she thinks (and meanwhile, how tritype truly works)?

Reactions: Reginer

·
Registered
330 Posts
Alright, I'm arguing with someone on Personality Database and she is so obtuse to what the wings are. She thinks they're arbitrary and loose compared to tritype--even though, she arbitrary applies tritype based on wings (Like 5w4 has to be 54x). She totally misses the point of both Enneagram wings AND tritypes.

Can I get the best reason for why Enneagram wings have to be adjacent so I can let her know that it isn't arbitrary as she thinks (and meanwhile, how tritype truly works)?
You can tell her this excerpt from enneagram.net :
Another Enneagram Type flanks each Enneagram Type on either side. These two types are known as the primary Enneagram Type’s ‘wing’ types. One’s Enneagram Type is a result of the tension between these two adjacent types; your dominant type emerges to manage the conflicting needs of the types on either side. Your dominant wing influences the expression of your primary type.

Both wings are always present, however, one of the wing types may be more expressed and influential. For example, all 5’s are focused on gathering information to be safe and secure in the world. A 5 with a 4 wing may be more romantic and creative, than a 5 with a 6 wing may be more scientific and focused on loyalty

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
She totally misses the point of both Enneagram wings AND tritypes.
So do I.

Just base your logic on how the numbers are placed on the symbol and the patterns that appear then make up some BS that sounds good (as exampled by the post above). That's what everyone else does.

The truth is that the man who evolved the personality types into what they are finally admitted in a YouTube clip from an interview about 10 years ago that the symbol has nothing to do with the types. Funny thing is that no one seems to want to acknowledge that and the BS continues with a life of its own.

Many Enneagram concepts are arbitrary because they're based on patterns on a symbol that originally had nothing to do with the types. People sure do love their patterns. The logic: there's a corresponding pattern on the symbol so it must be true and the symbol is of ancient origin so don't question it because these ancients were so much wiser than we are (even though the concepts are of relatively modern origins and only associated with ancient origins because it sounds better).

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,865 Posts

The term "wing" clearly indicates it has to be to one side or the other of ones core type. Why call it a "wing" if it isn't adjacent?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I don't think there's a good reason to use "wings." I mean, is your type gonna make you fly now? xD

Really, enneagraminstitute (riso/hudson) never explains why they use wings - aside from "because those types are RIGHT NEXT TO the other type, duh!" If you read their wing-type descriptions, they are so stupid. Throw it in the trash!

·
Registered
202 Posts
The reason is that the wings are defined as the types adjacent on the Enneagram circle. There is literally no scientific basis for Enneagram, so what argument are you looking for except that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts