Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is generally speaking, I'm sure there are guys that are proud to admit it. I know one guy who clearly is an ISFP but just doesn't admit it. Sometimes he would even try and change his behaviour (it's really painfully obvious) to sound all rational and shit (don't get me wrong though feelers can be logical too, but he sucks at it). I'm pretty convinced I'm an ENTP and he is sooo in denial that I'm not and calls me an ENFP JUST FOR THE SAKE OF IT WITHOUT GIVING ME A PROPER REASON BECAUSE HE IS A WANNA BE THINKER. He even criticises other feeling dominated types and calls the stupid. Why can' he just embrace it and start acting like a smart ISFP?

Apart from social expectations of men, could there be other reasons?

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
Ego

Because who wants to be feeler right?? '

Same with intuition vs sensors

Sensors description are not that good

Feelings too

Feelings description is underrated without understanding that feeler types have high EQ.

It's like they overlooked the fact that EQ is actually better than IQ

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe he doesn't want to feel emotional pain so he is trying to stay all rational.

I'm saying that becouse that's what I do, I'm not to giving space to feelings ...I want to have control over everything in order to avoid pain, all kinds of it. (I know its not a good thing and I'm working on it already) It's not good becouse you can not feel joy without feeling pain. That's like leaving all the fun by the door when you enter life.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Because there's cultural factors in play. Boys are trained to be logical and active while girls are trained to be dilligent and sensitive.
Even if your brain isn't wired that way, everyone can learn to behave in a certain way.

Besides: "Feeling" is a very bad word for the function. You could call it "values" or something like that and it would cover it much better (although I'm sure there's a perfect word out there, begging to be used).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Perhaps because strong feelings cause people to act irrationally/appear vulnerable? Two qualities I've learned that the sort of men in question do not like.

I've always had problems will 'tough bloke types' and their hesitation to show any emotion, and it honestly just comes off as a matter of pride + control. It's hard to justify questionable actions if one's motives are purely emotional, and displaying such emotions proves that you're not bulletproof/totally in control of yourself - it's generally just very common for men to be terrified of showing either of these weaknesses, because of how it will look to other men (as you've said).

Other than that, and since the examples of emotionally-stifled men I have in mind are all rather extreme (I'm from a little village in the North of England where these guys are rife), perhaps there's a fear of what opening up that box might do to their character in the long-term? I can hardly relate because I have little to no issue whatsoever with displaying emotion, but if I'd maintained a pretty hard no-emotions stance, as a man, for much of my life, I think the concept of opening up to the alternative might make me worry that it might change me or something, or send me spiralling. Who knows.

I hope that insight was of some interest to you!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Ego

Because who wants to be feeler right?? '

Same with intuition vs sensors

Sensors description are not that good

Feelings too

Feelings description is underrated without understanding that feeler types have high EQ.

It's like they overlooked the fact that EQ is actually better than IQ
For an ISFP to do that I think it's this.^^^

By my own opinion though, some male feelers can fear that if they do "embrace" it, it will still be looked down upon, and the solution that "embracing it" seemed to promise, wasn't a solution at all and you really find out ppl don't respect you as a male feeler even after you've embraced it. An inflated fear perhaps but that can be the case.

One can say, well don't hang around those people, now how do you accomplish that if those people are the majority. So one resorts to suppression and seeking out intimate relationships that allow themselves to "embrace" this aspect of themselves.

@Mortifere
"it's like leaving all the fun by the door when you enter life." God damn dude lol. I feel like you described all my interactions with adults when I was a child lol.

·
Registered
301 Posts
We hide it because societal expectations pressure guys to be rational thinkers, and women to be feelers. A feeling man is thought to make irrational decisions, and to be generally too soft to do what a man is expected to do under pressure and in crisis. This pressure to conform to the norm can be intense for F guys who play sports or join the military. It is an incorrect assumption that F guys are weak, of course. Also, some of us male F types have a fair amount of rage that we've learned to use to convert fear into productivity in sport and under crisis.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The words "thinking" and "feeling" are faulty as descriptors. I've seen plenty of people of both sexes (though certainly men more than women) resist typing as feelers when they definitely were, because they did not want to be categorized as emotional and irrational. The names of the types provide a certain prejudice towards wanting to be labeled as a T-type, and people will go out of their way to try to get that label.

·
Registered
ISFP
3,109 Posts
Maybe he doesn't want to feel emotional pain so he is trying to stay all rational.

I'm saying that becouse that's what I do, I'm not to giving space to feelings ...I want to have control over everything in order to avoid pain, all kinds of it. (I know its not a good thing and I'm working on it already) It's not good becouse you can not feel joy without feeling pain. That's like leaving all the fun by the door when you enter life.
It is interesting to read that, because I am a thinker and the opposite. It is not that I try to stay all "rational", that is kinda how I am. I actually want to give my feelings space to "talk to me", but I am really bad at that. My feeling function, Fe, is my inferior function and accessing (usually outside of my control) just makes me feel uncomfortable and vulnerable.

But I am not male, so perhaps that is why.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,511 Posts
It depends on the guy's fragile male ego or lack thereof.

I made several guys take the test and the only one who adamantly went against, it was an ISFJ friend who typed himself as ESTJ, you know, a DOMINANT thinking type because I know he hates when people call him sensitive.

I also made this ISFP young guy who's all you know, Eminem, street thug kinda guy and he had no problem typing himself (correctly) as ISFP. Although sometimes I feel like you have to explain it to them ''It's about following your own values rather than objectively dissecting things''. That often helps clear things up but you risk leading them to another type.

I for one openly admit that I'm a big sissy who's afraid to confront people, but I'm still a T type. People need to remember that T/F is all about your judgment process, not how you behave and even less about the image you want to send your peers.

·
Banned
3,620 Posts
I notice that, people try to say you're not x cause they're x therefore you can't be x. What it comes down to is he sees himself a certain way and he thinks if he's a feeler that he must not be that way. I'm guessing at least.

I had the same problem only I wanted to be a feeler but it was obvious that I wasn't.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Feeling preference is seen as a sign of weakness, it's not though. Who ever is unaware of their own emotions is weak to me because they don't know how to guide themselves well under duress or stress. Those tend to be pencicale moments in life that make or break you. It's also associated with lack of leadership and most people look to have someone guide them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think that this also got to do something with the current gender "roles". Females are not supposed to show rage and males are not supposed to show that they are feelers. Neither of this is leading to something healthy but that's how it works currently. :(

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Often times is cultural aughts and shoulds that make them feel as if it is wrong to be a male feeler. For instance, in most cultures that I know men are supposed to be the tough ones and women are supposed to be the emotional ones (not saying that that's actually how it's supposed to be. That's just a cultural thing).

Also, when people hear "feeler" they wrongly assume emotional person that struggles in the logic department. And for guys in some cultures feeling is bad and thinking is good.

So really it's a combo of a missunderstanding of what the two mean, and culture shaping people's perceptions of what they should and should not be.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,469 Posts
What do you mean by "feelers," (?)

Do you mean to ask:

Why do guys never admit to being "feelers" (in a general) sense:

Or

Why do guys never admit to being "feelers" (re: typology):

I find the former related to non-typology related cultural/sociological/psychological factors:

And the latter, related to unskilled (knowledge-gaps) within typology itself (re: and other psychological-biases/human cogntive-defects):

I reckon; if the knowledge gaps between the (F/T) dichonomy were breached (re: involving a deeper analysis); Thus, learning what the "feeling" function is; and that this function is of logical-judgment processing, and hasn't much to do with "irrationality", which belongs to the perceptive-functions, knowledge-gain via typology will reduce susceptibility to irrational-thinking/psychological bias pits / emotional-reactionaries regarding typology: (See my posts #9, #10) in this thread:

(Reduction of human-stupidities/intellectual laziness + reduction of cognitive-biases / magical- ape-thinking) - will drastically improve the reflexive-repulsion to "Feeler" identification (re: typologies):

Reminds me of those folks; that are convinced (T)-women have "more testosterone," (re: hormonal-levels) than (F)-males, and this is why they are (T) not (F). Humorous, indeed!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts