Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently took a test on cognitive functions and got:
Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Sensing (Se) ****************** (18.3)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************* (21.1)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************************** (35.5)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************* (33.8)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************** (23.1)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) *************************************************** (51.7)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************* (19.8)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************* (37.1)
excellent use

I've never been quite sure whether I'm an INTP or an INFP, mostly because of my Fi (values). Perhaps it's because I had a religious upbringing, and all I wanted to be was "good". An example of this would be:

1. Always be honest w/ yourself,
2. Avoid using curse words,
3. Don't do drugs and alcohol,
4. Don't permanently mark your body,
5. Stay religious etc.

I was very gullible and naive back then, and had no idea that the last one would clash with the first one. Even after my deconversion I still kept a lot of values that are based on religion, though I don't use it to back up my moral guideline anymore:dry:. I never was the person to conform either, even outright ignoring several expectations. What I spend most of my time doing is thinking, analyzing, sorting through what I know, checking consistency and of course taking in new information. My Fe on the otherhand is kind of awkward, all I know is that I tend to be a people-pleaser (not expecting much in return). But I view it as a bad trait, because I never got respect for it (regardless of the bullshit they tell me) but I still wind up doing it anyways.

Inb4 INxP, just no.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I was told that because of your very high Ti, that makes you INTP. Even if your Fi is 1 point lower, Because Ti is dominant, you are INTP.

however i cannot put credence on those tests as it suggests i am INTP and have Ti,Ni and Fi , when being an INTP i think it should be at least Ti then Ne. But my understanding of this system is rather limited at the moment

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Aw... poor robot... sounds like you need a system reset due to Fi memory leakage.

Have a seat. A sub-forum nurse will be right with you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aw... poor robot... sounds like you need a system reset due to Fi memory leakage.

Have a seat. A sub-forum nurse will be right with you.
Hahaha, come to think of it - I'm kind of messy when it comes to figuring out what's important to me, yet I feel inclined to follow them. Wonder if other INTPs got high Fi as well.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
My Fi is pretty high, too. It's not a bad thing. I can related to
I never was the person to conform either, even outright ignoring several expectations. What I spend most of my time doing is thinking, analyzing, sorting through what I know, checking consistency and of course taking in new information. My Fe on the otherhand is kind of awkward, all I know is that I tend to be a people-pleaser (not expecting much in return). But I view it as a bad trait, because I never got respect for it (regardless of the bullshit they tell me) but I still wind up doing it anyways.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So after the past two days of constantly studying the cognitive functions and how they work I came to the conclusion that you can't have a high Fi, and be an INTP. An INTP is Ti>Ne>Si>Fe, it's what makes up the INTP. Now I cam across how flawed the Myers, and keirsey's tests really are and how people may misjudge them a lot.

I thoroughly read through a lot of information on cognitive functions and if you have a high Fi (High being anything above your Fe function, which is our least used) then you may be a different type, most likely INFP. Not every` INFP is all emotional and developed, I have an INFP friend who could mistype herself to be an INTP, because of her similarities to an INTP, but her Fi is developed well, she just knows how to hide it from being walk all over on.

Now if you claim your cognitive functions are Ti>Fi>Ne>Si>Fe, or something that resembles that, you would literally go insane, suicidal type insane, it would rip you apart from the inside. Your taking the analytical, critical skills of Ti and mixing it with the "gut reactions, and feeling tones" of Fi. Then your using your Ne to support both your Ti and Fi with reality in the way of many perceptions at once. You would be so emotionally gone, simply said you would lose your mind. Now is this possible to happen, I'm not sure, I can't say nothing is possible, because to me everything is possible to an extent.

I'm just saying if you have a high Fi you may have mistyped yourself, because at this moment in your life you feel more INTP but you could easily be INFP or even INFJ (not likely). Im still studying these cognitive functions tho, so everything is subject to change but I feel pretty confident I am on the right track with Jungian Cognitive Functions. Nevertheless, they are still functions of a theory not proven by science yet, but by how people act and why they act the way they do in their daily lives.

Now, I've gone through asking myself a million times if I'm an INTP, but after reading and understanding the cognitive functions, after test after test after test (constantly getting nothing but INTP while answering as honestly as possible without keeping myers in mind), I realized that I am no doubt an INTP 100%. What I'm trying to get at is these tests, they're main problem is they are answered in a subjectively vague way, one day you may feel more to one side while the other you may feel more to another side depending on the events of the day and the mood your in. If your truly an INTP though, you would neglect emotions and subjective feelings while answering these tests (these are my opinions only, I could be wrong). Also while reading the cognitive functions I came to the conclusion, that there isn't a sliding scale of functions, their can't be, because people would always be subject to change, your cognitive functions are functions you develop at an adolescent age, maybe even birth, but they develop throughout your life, but they don't change. So yes your Fe could develop quicker then your Si given circumstances, but your Si would be easier to develop under normal environment for an INTP (it's rare for the Fe to develop quicker then your Si but not impossible).

There is so much more to this, but I'll leave it at this for now. Again these are my opinions that came from an objective POV while reading and of course the metacognition kicking in high gear to find the most logical precise answer to this dilemma of being an INTP with a high Fi. Correct me if you know more of cognitive functions then I, and you have seen some inconsistencies that I didn't pick up on.
(...) That's wrong. If someone had both high Ti and Fi (or Te and Fe, and so on), they would be in such an awful inner conflict that society would put them in madhouse. (...)
Out of frustration I did the test again, and I seem to be doing alright - I haven't learned to appreciate Fe just yet. Topic is still viable for those who are INTP w/ high Fi.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************** (17.1)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************* (21.2)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************* (43.4)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************************** (30.9)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************** (22.1)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************************ (48.5)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) **************************** (28)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************** (29)
average use

I'll just focus on Ti/Ne right now, I'll have to wait with the feeling business.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Okay, the main reason you're testing so high on Fi is that THESE TESTS SUCK. Even the ones based on functions. Testing for something just doesn't work, because we're not objective robots that can accurately introspect and understand things about ourselves. Because feeling is a low preference for you, you're not going to be very good at understanding your feeling function (especially since, as an INTP, if that's correct itself, it will not be the type of feeling that allows you to tune in to your own emotions).

Inferior Fe can often seem like Fi because it's not very large on your function order. You don't display it a lot, which is a more common Fe trait, but that's less because it's self-focused but more because it's not a huge thing for you. However, when you do use emotion as a judging function, it's going to be spread to consideration of multiple people, focused externally, rather than internally on the self.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
5. Stay religious etc.

I was very gullible and naive back then, and had no idea that the last one would clash with the first one. Even after my deconversion I still kept a lot of values that are based on religion, though I don't use it to back up my moral guideline anymore:dry:. I never was the person to conform either, even outright ignoring several expectations. What I spend most of my time doing is thinking, analyzing, sorting through what I know, checking consistency and of course taking in new information. My Fe on the otherhand is kind of awkward, all I know is that I tend to be a people-pleaser (not expecting much in return). But I view it as a bad trait, because I never got respect for it (regardless of the bullshit they tell me) but I still wind up doing it anyways.

Inb4 INxP, just no.

The only thing that seems Fi-like to me is always being honest with yourself. Usually all your other moral guidelines will be based on that personal honesty if you have a well-developed Fi. Infps don't necessarily endorse religion; they just do if it isn't in line with their own personal value systems. I think the most attractive element of religion to an infp is obtaining personal harmony by developing a spiritual connection. If you have a hard time developing that spiritual connection from religious values then that doesn't necessarily mean your Fi is less developed. You just achieve personal harmony from some other means.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only thing that seems Fi-like to me is always being honest with yourself. Usually all your other moral guidelines will be based on that personal honesty if you have a well-developed Fi. Infps don't necessarily endorse religion; they just do if it isn't in line with their own personal value systems. I think the most attractive element of religion to an infp is obtaining personal harmony by developing a spiritual connection. If you have a hard time developing that spiritual connection from religious values then that doesn't necessarily mean your Fi is less developed. You just achieve personal harmony from some other means.
No, it's actually more about finding out the harsh truth rather than believing a comfortable lie. E.g I have to mold myself around reality, not the other way around. As for being honest in general, that's more of a principle, I was sick and tired of being lied to (constantly). I'm not interested in telling someone they look great in a dress unless I really think so, if that isn't the case I try to come up with other solutions and never answer directly - I'm not that guy.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Don't rely on the tests. Just read the descriptions and figure it out on your own.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Heh, last cog function test I did my Fi was only 1 point higher than my Ti :). I chalk it up to the reason INTPs can stand me at all.

Or...maybe I only THINK they can stand me...

Reactions: kikikins

·
Registered
947 Posts
5. Stay religious etc.

I was very gullible and naive back then, and had no idea that the last one would clash with the first one. Even after my deconversion I still kept a lot of values that are based on religion, though I don't use it to back up my moral guideline anymore
:dry:.

Whoa, probably I have a pronounce Fi too. But definitely not because a religious upbringing, more a blend of poor parenting and lack of self knowledge.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,631 Posts
5. Stay religious etc.
I don't want to call you out indiscriminately or anything but its sounds like you might be a type 1 or at least a type5 with 1 gut fix. It sounds pretty 1 influenced to me. Just a thought :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I don't want to call you out indiscriminately or anything but its sounds like you might be a type 1 or at least a type5 with 1 gut fix. It sounds pretty 1 influenced to me. Just a thought :)
I'm 6w5 actually, I can see why you'd guess type 1 but I was never dogmatic or demanding.
As for being influenced, my ENTJ mom made sure of that. - I just wanted to be a "good" boy.

EDIT:

Type 4 Individuality |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 5 Rationality |||||||||||||||||||| 90%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||||||||| 70%

I get mixed results. I feel like a type 6w5, but I my desires are mostly in type 5. What I don't like about type 6 is anxiety, which I dread more than anything because it's irrational. It mostly just makes things worse, and "I told you so" is always seems to be hindsight. As for type 4, I could be a type 5w4 seeing as I am artistic as well. But I don't know nearly enough about these types yet, can't really find a good description that doesn't sound like a horoscope.

inb4 don't trust tests, I know. It's just to give me the idea where I should start looking.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Those results (even the first one) are very typical, and fit Lenore Thomson's "ship model". When judged in terms of behavioral "use", the inferior is actually the weakest, and its shadow (which "should" be "#8") is strong. It's the "right brain (P) alternative" or "Crow's Nest" that fills in when the dominant can't solve a problem. So this test apparently picks this up.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
As an INTP, I can guess your gut thoughts about the tests.

The tests are BS, stop using them, just learn the functions and their order.

The reason you probably *feel* Fi is... that everybody *feels*, and those test questions correlate to Fi, you might feel this as strong as it ebbs and flows in you, so when you notice it... you NOTICE it, the thing is, for FiDom's or Aux's... that FEELING you have when you notice it is there with them all the time bearing down on them, influencing every aspect of their life.

Also, Fi *conclusions* could come to the same *conclusions* as Ti... not always, but they will. The thing is Fi will also also often know and STRUGGLE with the Te 'objective' logical answer... at least balanced ones will. They might know the Te clear as day, they just don't like USING Te on people, such as making decisions in the outer world, being a judger of people such as a lawyer/judge/cop would do. This is why the question of Mercy over Justice is so fitting in the determinations. I would assume it is also why an Fi type would hate utilitarian philosophy for instance (very Te) and possibly even disagree with Kantian ethics (very Ti)

Again also, Fi shouldn't be correlated emotions, especially roller coaster emotions... which often does on here, and why you have all these people going through emotional phases testing as F's. Fi is more about the understanding of supreme personal values and moral implications of the human condition. Fi usually picks what is *right* for the individual, often something transcendent and *pure* hence "idealism", while Fe picks what is going to work best for the *group*.

You could view Fi as an internal building system, for the ultimate moral truth of your personal journey, while Fe would be seeking the ultimate harmony. An Fi user would be, I know all of my morals and values are correct, and I am going to follow them regardless if everybody else isn't as moral/enlightened as I am. The Fe user would be... I seek harmony, and don't want conflict, so I am going to find a group compromise Fe Value, and seek to always establish harmony.

INTP's, in theory... should use their Ti/Ne strengths, towards Fe ends... I.E. I have all this knowledge know, I might as well help people with it.

Your Ne is also probably going off all the time, bouncing out possibilities like "damn, I could be an F, I do have feelings, and other "what if's"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts