Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear, every time I catch the cold/flu I stay sick for at least a week and it's bad. It's the same virus going around. I don't understand why the people around me aren't get it as bad as me. Even if we're in the same house sharing the same air, I have it worst. I take good care of myself by getting plenty of sleep, drinking plenty of water, and eating super healthy. I just don't get it. Do I just have a weak immune system?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...eficiency/basics/tests-diagnosis/con-20031958

To help decide whether recurrent infections could be due to primary immunodeficiency, your doctor will ask about your history of illnesses and whether any close relatives have an inherited immune system disorder.

Your doctor also will perform a physical examination. Tests used to diagnose an immune disorder include:

Blood tests. Blood tests can determine if you have normal levels of infection-fighting proteins (immunoglobulin) in your blood and measure the levels of blood cells and immune system cells. Abnormal numbers of certain cells can indicate an immune system defect.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,476 Posts
A week is the common duration for the cold or flu, maybe your immune system is fine but other people's are a little stronger. I rarely get sick and usually it's very light and it can last a few days but sometimes symptoms may remain up to 2 weeks which is still normal. I hav an autoimmune and my doctor says it may be why I don't get sick easily, cause I got an overacting system.
Zinc is found to positively contribute in cold/flu so maybe you can try eating more zinc-rich foods or taking a supplement as soon as you get symptoms. A diet low in zinc is directly related to lowered immune system function. So make sure you consume enough.
No 1 best zinc source is oysters, then meats especially beef & lamb, beans (garbanzo) and lentils, spinach, asparagus, pumpkin and sesame seeds and other fish.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
I second seeing your doctor about it.
I also second the advice about Zinc.

Consider an slight change in diet to allow for a more alkaline diet. A quick google search should bring up enough info about it to make some slight changes.

Drink plenty of water daily

If you aren't, get a bit of exercise/activity daily

B vitamins for stress

Magnesium is a vitamin I take which helps with my energy levels and is associated with a stronger immune system, but I'd recommend researching it before taking. I take Magnesium Taurate.

Buy some kid's vitamins (I get Equate similar to flintstones chewables) and take one a day as "insurance". I keep the bottle where we eat and at least one of my kids reminds everyone to take one at dinner.

Meditation, relaxation, and anything to relieve psychological stress may help, too.

Hope you get it figured out. A week isn't that long for a cold, but if you're getting them over and over again, it might be something to see a doctor about.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
eating super healthy.
Expand on this. Are you getting all the necessary food groups required alongside the ones you would need depending on the daily work you do?

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
Drink green tea. 1.5liters.

Eat meals. Don't get hungry.

Exercise. Don't sit for too long

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm glad you're taking care of yourself.

Personally, I've found that Sambucol works wonders for a cold (along with plenty of chicken noodle soup). Sambucol is an elderberry supplement, and doesn't taste gross like Zycam or many other Zinc tablets (actually, it tastes pretty good—just don't take it right after brushing your teeth)!

Also, avoid eating sugar when you are sick, as this weakens the immune system. And try to take it easy with dairy too—milk can stimulate the production of more mucus, which means more gunk to hack up. :sick:

And make sure you wash your hands well! Especially after touching things you wouldn't think about as having germs, like your phone, keys, or the steering wheel and knobs/buttons in your car.

Also, if you are around kids a lot, you're gonna get sick. (I currently work with children, and no matter how careful I am, I seem to end up getting some of their crud when it's going around).

·
Registered
ISFJ
5,197 Posts
I swear, every time I catch the cold/flu I stay sick for at least a week and it's bad. It's the same virus going around. I don't understand why the people around me aren't get it as bad as me. Even if we're in the same house sharing the same air, I have it worst. I take good care of myself by getting plenty of sleep, drinking plenty of water, and eating super healthy. I just don't get it. Do I just have a weak immune system?
do you eat a plentiful amount of dark leafy greens? those are super important for your health and resistance to infections and such. (also good for the skin and joints) also good vit c and iron levels help.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Not much to do when the flu hits. Preventative medicine is best 'treatment'.

I can add:
Exercise your immune system by moving around in public settings or simply meeting more people.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts