Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the culture of it: anime, the movies, even the music, the nature, the people and all... and i'm not the only INFP do so... Why are so many INFP's attracted towards Asia? What does Asia has to offer to INFP's?

Reactions: Kazuma Ikezawa

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Uh... I don't like it that much. Do we like Asia? I don't really like the cultural anti-individualism present in some societes. As a Korean INFP friend of mine told me it works, "Fit in or fuck off." not really a fan of that generally. Also the population is very high and having been to Vietnam while it was beautiful in some ways I don't like loud traffic noises 24/7 or generally a dense urban environment. Lots of people and little nature aren't very nice to me. Also it depends if you mean East Asia or South Asia (India etc) or even West Asia (Middle East) as to the answers, but most people seem to mean East Asia nowadays. To be clear I appreciate movies, music, people and many things from East Asia, but I wouldn't really like to live there generally, unless it was possibly a smaller city in Japan with lots of nice trees. Also I'm sick so pardon if that influences my response and makes it seem weird somehow.

edit: 7 thanks in one day, that is the most I ever got. Thank you, thank you, truly tremendous.

·
Registered
600 Posts
INFP's idealize, so they look at what's best in something, someone, or somewhere. They ignore what isn't pleasing until it bites them in the butt. :exterminate:

Every society has their ideal parts of it, and that's what INFPs are drawn to.

Eg. I don't follow Islam, but I do love a lot of their architecture and art. :heart:

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Fi-Ne probably likes the out-there humour and feel good playfulness. I like the humour and "innocence" of Korean and Japanese pop culture.

It's totally overromanticized though. As @Adonnus mentioned, "fit in or fuck off" - think of the amount of plastic surgery and suicide rates in Korea. The pop culture gives off a show of care-free and love but it's just a show. The groups pretend to be best friends with each other but they're not. It's a business. I've known people go over there expecting it to be wonderful then realise there is still a lot of sexism and racism and shallowness.

9,999 Posts
When people say Asia, they usually mean East Asia - and I seriously doubt many INFPs would like it if they ever spent any serious amount of time there. I've been to many corners of the planet, and East Asia is about as anti-INFP as it gets - covered in a thick fog of Fe/Si: fit in or die.

·
Premium Member
15,241 Posts
I am always searching for pictures and videos regarding life in Siberia (surviving a brutally cold winter appeals to me, I love snow images), I am absolutely obsessed with Shirakawa-go and every single snowy, small Japanese village out there and I do watch a lot of NHK television (today at 12:10 is Ten Years With Hayao Miyazaki. Woo!) But my heart and love of the land and culture, goes to Scotland first, Ireland second. I had a DNA test completed and I'm loaded with Europe East/West, Scotland/Ireland/Wales, Great Britain. My DNA has memories of this place. What I view, as that place, very much appeals to me.

9,999 Posts
Do we?

I much prefer New England. Or old England even. Not much hugging. Cultural expectations are that you are allowed to keep to yourself. Solitary outdoor pursuits are expected. Cheerfulness optional.

Having lived in both England and East Asia, I can guarantee that 101 out of 100 INFPs will prefer England.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
The good thing about China, Japan and Korea is that introverted and highly sensitive temperaments there are viewed as assets. In America, both are usually considered liabilities and those who have these traits will usually feel out of place. I still imagine Russia and the other Orthodox-Slavic civilizations to be even more INFP-friendly than East Asia, however.

·
Banned
INFP 9w1 sp/so
2,470 Posts
I don't think that's necessarily an INFP thing. In my case I grew up while JRPGs and anime were in the mainstream, and they were my favourite games to play/shows to watch growing up which naturally led to me learning where they all came from and knowing from that that I particularly like things that come from Japan. I eventually started learning the language so I could play/watch stuff that was never translated from Japanese and that led to me learning more about the country and its people and that was when I really fell in love with it. I've never once had an unpleasant exchange with a Japanese person. They're great.

Not a weeb though, promise.

I guess maybe Fi-doms who grew up in the 90s/early 2000s were exposed to that same kind of media, felt strongly Fi-attached to it, which led them on the path to Japanophilia. Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon seem to have been the main gateway drugs for it. But I didn't watch either of those growing up so hey.

Not sure what caused the love for South Korea that's come about recently though. I guess K-Pop seems to be a huge part of it but I've never been able to work out what's made it so loved.

If you went to Asia I guarantee you wouldn’t like it
They have little love for caucasians
Depends where you go I guess. From what I've heard a lot of Japanese people get really curious about foreigners, especially out in the countryside where like 99.99% of people are natives. I've heard it's mainly old people that have that mindset over there. Then in China having a caucasian in your company is apparently seen as really prestigious for whatever reason, and you constantly get invited to places by complete strangers just so that they can be seen with you. Then they don't let you go for ages.
Assuming you're talking about East Asia here, since that's what Laki was presumably talking about. West Asia, yeah, you're probably right.

Reactions: VinnieBob

·
Registered
ISTP 5w4 sx/sp 583
1,376 Posts
The good thing about China, Japan and Korea is that introverted and highly sensitive temperaments there are viewed as assets. In America, both are usually considered liabilities and those who have these traits will usually feel out of place. I still imagine Russia and the other Orthodox-Slavic civilizations to be even more INFP-friendly than East Asia, however.
They might be introverted-friendly, but highly sensitive (as is the general INFP) friendly? I would say not. Bluntness, directness, and saying as it is are cultural norms there (and political correctness isn't as rampant there as in the US, which isn't an argument against Fi, but it is for highly sensitive person). They're equally assertive as America except being quiet about--quiet confidence in other words. They're ISTP or IxTJ-friendly (though I believe the former more) than INFP-friendly judging by your standards.

Reactions: Marvin the Dendroid

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I'm infj so I probably shouldn't answer but I think the question intrigues me. Because it's the same as asking, why there are anglophiles or francophiles, etc.

I get a lot of culture from Asia even where I live (Canada) though I have stepped foot there only a bit. I cannot generalize because my (large) experience is kind of the same with people everywhere. I am as careful with them as I am with people born in this country

What has happened in my situation though is I have kind of collected a bunch of favourite things---for example, youtube channel or certain shows, fictional or nonfiction. And I guess I have made it so that these have actually ended up being people I could have relationships with---it is rather an Asia I created, all the while knowing what else is out there.
I have also created a type of England, type of France etc for myself. :distracted: and I don't even need to leave the country

What I would like to experience is the fashion world in those countries. There are some wonderful tidbits on new designers (in Japan, in England) and I wonder what life is like for one, how much you can dress in a populated area. For myself, I dress down to match my environment but when I am at home, I play more.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Don't have any great affection for any of Asia. No curiosity. No desire to visit. Why would such a generalization be made regarding INFPs?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If you went to Asia I guarantee you wouldn’t like it
They have little love for caucasians
It still depends on which part. I'm Asian and I've seen them idolize caucasians. There's always extremists in any part of the world, and yes, some hate Caucasians. Similar to some parts in the west where discrimination is rampant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Assuming you're talking about southeast Asia, I don't think they typically will, if they were to move there.

I think a lot of people watch anime (and INFPs always seem to be super into anime for some reason), and get a false impression of Japan. Or listen to a ton of K-Pop and think South Korea's some real quirky artsy country instead of one of the most cutthroat capitalistic countries on the face of this planet.

This isn't exclusive to East Asia, it's clear that a considerable amount of people abroad get their conceptions of The United States entirely from Hollywood movies, and evidently learned a lot about a super idealized version of one county in Southern California, but not much else. And I remember a while back, a lot of British TV shows were popular and people were all like "I wish I was born British," and then they'd visit and realize that Dr. Who actually isn't a documentary and spend the rest of their vacation disappointed.

And on that note, there's this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

1 - 20 of 46 Posts