Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me that J types (especially if they're Es) have a tendency to gravitate towards management. Don't get me wrong, J types have a lot of qualities that make them suited for management. They're good at keeping everyone organized and on task. However, if there's one thing I appreciate it's a boss who gets out of the way and lets their employees do their jobs (which P types are much better at).

The traditional answer is that Js want to manage more. But I don't think that's fair. Nor do I think it's good for Ps or Js. Out of the P and J types I know, I don't notice any more significant desire to manage in the J types than the P types.

Does anyone have any explanations for this that I can't see?

·
Banned
160 Posts
Probably Te and Fe. They like organization and structure so management comes easy to those with dominant Te and Fe, I would suppose.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Not sure. By personal experience I can tell I get bugged by what I feel constitutes mess, disorder, inefficiency, waste of time, effort, potential. Then I feel compelled to correct it. I either do it myself or tell other people what to do to restore order and efficiency. If you order people around and it produces good results, you get recognized for it, this makes you manager material. My guess would be that Ps don't really get urges like this too often.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Js easily see how productivity can be optimized and resent inefficiency. They have a natural inclination to step in an take control, because they're seeing things from a goal-oriented point of view, rather than a process-oriented point of view which is more the realm of Ps.

·
Registered
229 Posts
o.o Hopefully when i become CEO of my little firm (waaaaay down the road); i'll manage it in a friendly manner ~ with company parties and casual Fridays. Donut Mondays... yeaaaah. My employee's will love me. ^^;; [/random]

On a semi-related note: I find i have to manage my group when i do group projects in school; otherwise i feel there's nothing being done. Why do i feel this way? Because i prefer to know we are on track and on schedule for the project deadlines and that everyone is doing their fair share of labor, and no one would be sitting around like a potato. If i don't manage my group setting, i feel off balanced and in disorder as i watch the group "fall apart" to nothing and get a failing grade because of it. I like doing things efficiently and effectively. However, i'm not an IN YOUR FACE kind of person when managing something, i am more likely to be passive about the situation at hand and take the other peoples feelings and strengths / weaknesses into account.

I automatically set into that role of manager - unless someone beats me to it and does a better job than me (usually those outgoing, bouncy E's)

Reactions: vel
1 - 6 of 6 Posts