Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything I've read about average/healthy 4w3s rings absolutely true for me. But whenever I take a test it says I'm a 3. So although I love the way the type explains how I am, I am feeling a little insecure about it.

I can relate to a lot of what the type 3 does, but not the core motives, and the whole 3-ness, taken alone, or even the 3w4, doesn't strike home at all.

Some aspects of 4 don't describe me either. I am innately optimistic and upbeat, but very moody privately. I can be melancholic at times, and have a lifelong passion for self-expression and authenticity; but it has never been self-destructively self-obsessed or depressed. I have always been very empathic and understanding of other people, and am naturally very sociable. My fourness doesn't come from dwelling on a perceived loss from the past, and doesn't manifest as a melancholic personality. It comes from being made differently, and so I relate to everything about feeling different and creative.

So what's going on here?

·
Banned
4,124 Posts
Tests are dumb. The best they can do is give you an estimate of what your type might be, if you look at the top two or three scored types.

Descriptions can be stereotypical and fallible, but they're probably a better bet for narrowing down your type than tests.

I'm a Nine and I've scored as a core Five, Four, Three (despite being nowhere near healthy enough) and actually Nine. Tests aren't that great.

Reactions: Pangelicus

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tests are dumb. The best they can do is give you an estimate of what your type might be, if you look at the top two or three scored types.

Descriptions can be stereotypical and fallible, but they're probably a better bet for narrowing down your type than tests.

I'm a Nine and I've scored as a core Five, Four, Three (despite being nowhere near healthy enough) and actually Nine. Tests aren't that great.
Thanks. So I must be a very three-ish 4w3. I have put quite a lot of effort into succeeding, which is a 4w3 thing. So maybe they are asking the wrong questions.

When I first looked at Enneagrams, a few years ago I typed as a 5. But I disliked the 5 decriptions so much I thought the whole system was hokey. It's only recently, finding the descriptions of 4w3 so, that I am suddenly taking it seriously.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As a PS, I just tested again and came out as 4w3 with backups in 7 and 9. Happy now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts