Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
332 Posts
I came upon an article on a techie-oriented website that explores this very topic:

I, too, have noticed that a lot of my Facebook buddies love to put pictures of themselves at different destinations, fancy restaurants, etc. The author seems to frown upon this, but I really see nothing wrong with it -- so long as the person isn't flaunting every expensive item in her closet. That can get old really fast.

I think people do it because it just isn't feasible to show everyone your stuff in person, especially since many of our friends and relatives live in other states or abroad. I agree with the author that it depends on the person -- a lot of people neither have Facebook nor an interest in displaying photos of their houses out there on the internet.

How do you feel about this?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well if I was stealing houses I would check the facebook profiles of people. Find the ones that got money then steal them 15 minutes after they say they're out of their house for a trip, cinema movie, etc... They're just trying to help thief, that's cool.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
I don't see a problem with it. I'm happy for them. If you are showing something valuable from your home, I might suggest you consider the state of your home security and not making your pictures available to everyone. At least lessen the risk of this decision.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm more concerned about the obvious envy and resentment in many people who complain about others using a social media site for what it's there for: sharing with friends and family. The reason Facebook is more than just a profile is so that people can post pictures and make updates about things that - heaven forbid - involve good news, good fortune, or good things like food, nature, friends, etc. The reasons no one wants to look like a loser on Facebook are more pressing than theories about why everyone "brags", "shows off", etc, and the reason people want to look good is the same as it is offline. Honestly, the ones who complain about that turn my stomach a lot more than the ones who upload pictures of their cool lives, and I sincerely hope that my updates are the last straw in making them just leave the Internet forever.

Why so many complaints about photos on Facebook, but no complaints about the asshole in front of you at Starbucks who wanted everyone to see him order the most expensive, fattening item on the menu that others couldn't afford financially or thigh-wise? People in good clothes? People in good cars? People who enjoy themselves with their friends in public?

The nature of photos and updates is often misread as some attempt to show off instead of the benign sharing between people that's been going on (at least in my life) since giddy texts between friends about cute boys/girls, ice cream, and summer vacations in middle school. In my neck of the woods, we don't and we didn't complain about how our friends were showing off and trying to make us feel inferior, we took it at face value and were happy to see good fortune. Lauren is happy because Ben proposed, Amanda is happy because she gets to go somewhere nice, and none of it has anything to do with me.

Sure, on occasion I have felt bad about my relative position in life when I looked at what everyone else was doing. I never reflected it back on them and instead worried about myself and the way I related to the people who love me, consider me a part of their wider social circle, and are related to me. The benefits to not being an insecure little bitch are many.

People usually don't share mundane activities because even they don't care very much and aren't motivated to post, and it's considered a minor faux pas to post stupid shit about eating a sandwich. People make fun of and complain about pointless updates, if the author hasn't noticed.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Displaying of life successes to competition and fellow members of our species. Honestly whenever a medium like this exists, it will be used, we are instinctively inclined to do so.

Also this is why everybody gets a knee jerk reaction of envy, and subsequently complains that this is an issue of Facebook when this is the exact reason why people post shit and use the damn site.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I like to post funny memes, statuses (around one a day), and projects that I've been working. Plus I like to see what others are doing with their life sometimes. I just don't like to post pictures of my self or 'selfies'. Leave those to my friends.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yea but this author is to blame for his own shame, since he thinks that people are showing off.

While they might be, he is the one perceiving it as showing off which says something about him.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I also like using FB to share photos or funny posts. Being a full-time worker, married and having our own home, as well as an introvert, having an active social life and going out with everyone would be very ver tired, so being able to know what they are doing to have fun, share phtos and some funny or happy comments can be nice. Also, I moved away from my birthplace so it's great to see updates from past classmates and childhood friends and see howcthey have grown and progress in life! And in return I can also show them bits of my life.

Honestly, I think that anyone criticizing people who share things in FB too much seems as obsessed as those who shares too much. Why being so reactive about what other feels like doing? Why the need to point fingers or criticize? It tells a bit about themselves too.

The only things that annoys me in FB are games invite (where the heck do I turn these off!), stupid posts with closed minded beliefs or discriminations (they might get unfriended if they are not close to me), and couples declaring their loves to esch other when they could declare it in the real life directly to each other. Even so, doesn't bother me enough to obsess over them. Live and let live, and life's too short to bother with every single thing you can't agree with others.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
A show off is different to different people, the author complains about moms showing off their kids, or the guy with the new car,but he doesn't say anything about the politicizing of facebook. I've got friends who feeel it is their need to tell the world their liberal views, and say conservatives are dumb in the process. I'll post my art,but I wrestling with telling the world to go to hell because my views are better than yours. And the darn thing is I think I have more in common with the Republicans/Religious, going to community college,holding the crappiest job known to man. And yet I want to balance that out with this Malcolm X quote of "if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything." So I do post political thoughts every now and then. I'm getting big on the environment, so I will post an anti-Keystone pipeline post, and I will post about the benefits of marijuana. But that's about it. I let my friends do the talking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.