Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read it, and to be honest, I couldn't stand it. I know it's supposed to be about "love" but it's really not. As far as I could tell, it was just nothing but a girl's ramblings on the things going on in her life. She really came across (to me at least) as rude. Like once in the story she was talking about how she felt assaulted by some boys just because they looked in her direction, and at another point he told a guy who was going blind that going blind wasn't a "nice" thing to do. I know some people try to defend her with "But she has cancer!!!" but the cancer patients I've met in my life weren't total bitches, in fact most of them were quite stoic about it.

Now, to Augustus Waters. Fake deep guy. He seemed to think he was better than other people, and he always made up stuff to try to make people think he was deep and loving. When he wasn't. He was also stupid, he seriously accepted certain death instead of trying out new treatments, just because he "loved" Hazel Grace so much. It wasn't real love though, it was lust. I did not see a single scene in the entire book that made me think they were truly in love.

And now I see girls saying like "Oh, why can't I have an Augustus Waters?" and I'm thinking that 90% of the time, if a guy approached a girl the way Augustus approached Hazel, the girl would be completely freaked out. Girls shouldn't be expecting an Augustus Waters if they won't be a Hazel Grace.

Anyway, that's my little rant on The Fault in Our Stars, what do all you think?

·
The No More Hero
18,285 Posts
I only saw the movie. It was shallow and make for tragedy junkies. I love tragedy but I have to like the characters in the first. Augustus was annoying, the main character was annoying. They were all selfish too.

·
Registered
INTJ
1,480 Posts
I never liked it either.

I remember talking to someone who thinks he's so cool lol he asked me for book suggestions so I told him he wouldn't like the books I like, but he told me to go on so I did.. I might've suggested The Secret History by Donna Tartt, The Republic by Plato, and etc and he was like, "How about some John Green?"

Told him I quite hate his books, actually.

I've never seen such a look of pure disgust on a person's face. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Because it tore out my soul and I have to be a fan in the hopes I might someday get it back.

I'm an 18 year old girl. I've usually got a "hipster mentality" where if it's cool, I am starkly against it. I was against Twilight, I'm against Divergent, I even bounced against HP for a while, and I'm not the biggest Frozen fan (until kids start singing the songs, then what would you know, I can sing every line...)... But I openly enjoyed TFIOS. Yes, maybe it's crap. Now that I'm critical of John Green, I can see that. But it emotionally moved me, it made me cry, it got me invested in the stupid characters... Yes, they're shallow, yes they're selfish, but it was still a hilarious and sad and quasi-deep story.

It's irrational, but I loved it :p

Reactions: bigstupidgrin

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Enjoy John Green's writing, Hazel was a well-written character, probably a little biased because I watch most of his YouTube stuff as well. It's also a very personal story, as Green was a student Chaplin who befriended a cancer patient Esther Earl who's story influenced the book.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts