Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on a project at work building programs for the developmentally disabled. There is a guy on our team that makes all sorts of fun of these people. I has me boiling angry and management does nothing to put a stop to it. I know people on this forum has made fun of other people too. I want to know why? What do people get out of making fun of someone for something they can't help?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Oh god this disgusts me to a huge amount.

Throughout high school I was/am surrounded by people who would pick on the ones with disabilities and no one would do anything about it but laugh along with the perpetrator. I saw it was mainly people with arrogance and an idea of supremacy who would do the making fun.

The idea they get from it I feel is that they know these people with the mental disabilities can't understand they're being made entertainment out of. So they can basically can control them to do what they want. Only saying this from experience, many of the kids I was surrounded by would make the "mentally disabled" do things for entertainment of those around them and themselves. Or crack jokes about them. Authority figures would even laugh at the kid(s) being victimized too. Seriously disgusting how these people get treated with disrespect and due to lack of understanding no one really tries to stop it and so it continues..(like seen in your case)

The ignorance that many people have regarding the disabilities is mainly where the making fun of is rooted from. They're different. People fear the different so they cover up the fear by treating/talking about them like aliens. Instead of trying to understand/look into what they really are facing. Some also deem them as waste of lives for this reason. :dry:

I think it's ultimately disgusting when people of supposed-to-be mature age make fun of these individuals. That is not a lack of understanding. That's just an asshole.

I have yet to understand what one could possibly get out of making fun of someone with an inevitable disadvantage. Maybe a boost of confidence. I don't know. I'm kind of glad I don't.

I kind of got offtrack of what you were asking but, I got kind of into it. lol. :tongue:
Sorry ^^
Hope this might help. Seems like you should say something to that guy.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
It is because deep down they are insecure about themselves. They try to levy this insecurity by setting themselves apart from mentally disabled people, in this instance, so they make jokes like that. You're right, sometimes they can be very hurtful. :sad:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh god this disgusts me to a huge amount.

Throughout high school I was/am surrounded by people who would pick on the ones with disabilities and no one would do anything about it but laugh along with the perpetrator. I saw it was mainly people with arrogance and an idea of supremacy who would do the making fun.

The idea they get from it I feel is that they know these people with the mental disabilities can't understand they're being made entertainment out of. So they can basically can control them to do what they want. Only saying this from experience, many of the kids I was surrounded by would make the "mentally disabled" do things for entertainment of those around them and themselves. Or crack jokes about them. Authority figures would even laugh at the kid(s) being victimized too. Seriously disgusting how these people get treated with disrespect and due to lack of understanding no one really tries to stop it and so it continues..(like seen in your case)

The ignorance that many people have regarding the disabilities is mainly where the making fun of is rooted from. They're different. People fear the different so they cover up the fear by treating/talking about them like aliens. Instead of trying to understand/look into what they really are facing. Some also deem them as waste of lives for this reason. :dry:

I think it's ultimately disgusting when people of supposed-to-be mature age make fun of these individuals. That is not a lack of understanding. That's just an asshole.

I have yet to understand what one could possibly get out of making fun of someone with an inevitable disadvantage. Maybe a boost of confidence. I don't know. I'm kind of glad I don't.

I kind of got offtrack of what you were asking but, I got kind of into it. lol. :tongue:
Sorry ^^
Hope this might help. Seems like you should say something to that guy.
That is how people at school treated some of the kids too. Kids make fun of them and the teachers and people in authority would do nothing. Apparently that kind of stupidity not only exist with children but with stupid adults too. I get so angry over the injustice!

It is because deep down they are insecure about themselves. They try to levy this insecurity by setting themselves apart from mentally disabled people, in this instance, so they make jokes like that. You're right, sometimes they can be very hurtful. :sad:
This guy that does that is an old as the hills military man. He should know better but is very selfish anyway. I wish he would get a mental disability so he would know what it fees like.

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,078 Posts
I am on a project at work building programs for the developmentally disabled. There is a guy on our team that makes all sorts of fun of these people. I has me boiling angry and management does nothing to put a stop to it. I know people on this forum has made fun of other people too. I want to know why? What do people get out of making fun of someone for something they can't help?
1. Immaturity
2. Putting someone else down makes them feel elevated in themselves.

Either way it is cruel.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They do it to make themselves feel superior. It's the only way that they'll ever be able to feel good about themselves in their pathetic existence.
That is so sad that one can feel superior by making fun of a disable person. That just made me cry to think that. Has the world gotten so miserable that they have to use the disabled to have positive feelings themselves.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What type of disability are we referring to?

If that guy cracks another joke at their expense, slap him in the face. It will shock everybody and bring attention to the man's poor behavior.
These are people that the government take care of because they have developmental disabilities. Some of them have downs syndrome or autism. Some them were born with these disabilities with brain injury or defect in some way.

I would love to hit him right in his big mouth but then I would be fired on the spot. I have a very stupid supervisor and one that is filled with prejudice.

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,078 Posts
I have noticed how warm and affectionate downs syndrome kids are.
I watched a boy with D.S on Friday. He picked up his sister's towel and put it around her shoulders as she got out of the pool, after her swimming lesson. It made me go "awww" and smile.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I know everyone is saying 'it's because they are immature,stupid,rude want to make themselves feel better'
I believe the same in CERTAIN cases.

I always have felt like the real reason is because it's uncomfortable for them to see someone disabled so they feel odd and are not used to feeling that way so instead of confronting those feelings they make fun of what they do not understand,it's pure ignorance,they're unaware of why they are really uncomfortable.
I think a lot of the times were conditioned to act certain ways when we don't feel 'right' about something were taught to make-fun or make some sort of humor out of it and mask those awkward feelings.
It takes a lot to really confront why you might feel that way and to focus those feelings in a GOOD way instead of a bad way.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
These are people that the government take care of because they have developmental disabilities. Some of them have downs syndrome or autism. Some them were born with these disabilities with brain injury or defect in some way.

I would love to hit him right in his big mouth but then I would be fired on the spot. I have a very stupid supervisor and one that is filled with prejudice.
Then bring it up with HR and ask them what you should do.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have noticed how warm and affectionate downs syndrome kids are.
I watched a boy with D.S on Friday. He picked up his sister's towel and put it around her shoulders as she got out of the pool, after her swimming lesson. It made me go "awww" and smile.
I grew up with a boy with downs syndrome and he was that way. I so loved him. The people around him were very cruel with him too and it made me angry back then and it makes me angry now. I hated those people that did that to him. And I hate being around these ass holes at work.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know everyone is saying 'it's because they are immature,stupid,rude want to make themselves feel better'
I believe the same in CERTAIN cases.

I always have felt like the real reason is because it's uncomfortable for them to see someone disabled so they feel odd and are not used to feeling that way so instead of confronting those feelings they make fun of what they do not understand,it's pure ignorance,they're unaware of why they are really uncomfortable.
I think a lot of the times were conditioned to act certain ways when we don't feel 'right' about something were taught to make-fun or make some sort of humor out of it and mask those awkward feelings.
It takes a lot to really confront why you might feel that way and to focus those feelings in a GOOD way instead of a bad way.
You brought a new view to the situation. Ignorance and feeling uncomfortable. I will have to think about that. That would soften my view of those cold hearted monsters that right now I just want to HATE.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Then bring it up with HR and ask them what you should do.
I work for state government. I have reported those people to HR and I got myself in trouble. They tell me I am being to sensitive that people kid and joke around and there is nothing wrong with that. And because it was not directed at ME there is nothing wrong with what the man was saying. But he is making fun of the disabled and that pisses me off very much so.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I work for state government. I have reported those people to HR and I got myself in trouble. They tell me I am being to sensitive that people kid and joke around and there is nothing wrong with that. And because it was not directed at ME there is nothing wrong with what the man was saying. But he is making fun of the disabled and that pisses me off very much so.
I've worked in state government and am surprised nothing was done about this. I guess it depends on the state.

·
Banned
1,956 Posts
There is a special place in Hell for people like that.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts