Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Often throughout the day I find myself in a situation where I have to explain something. Usually I don't care to explain it, such as why I was at the vet all day, rather that I was there- which explains why I cant hang out. Others often get offended at my impatient attitude, and say I lash back. I just don't see the importance of explaining something to someone when it has no real importance to them. I mean, they can't do anything about my dog at the vet can they? Am I merely here to satisfy their curiosity? There are also other situations, as such my mom asks why my girlfriend isn't coming over. I explain to her the reason doesn't matter, just that she isn't, and not to worry about it. She doesn't understand this, and when I become impatient and lash out she claims I have an attitude. I want to say the real meaning of this topic is my confusion to why people can't ask intelligent questions that have meaning or an interesting direction for me to actually talk about it. Does anyone else have this problem? :dry:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah, a lot of the time my friends ask me stupid questions like a general and vague "why" to a complicated statement I said. Or they ask why about something I couldn't care less about, like why I feel tired. I don't feel like explaining that to you, bitch! And how should I know, anyway? I think they're honestly just trying to make conversation because they have nothing better to talk about, or they are nosy.

4,757 Posts
Mainly I hate answering questions from my parents. I just don't think they need to know and I can't help being really reticent. It makes me question whether I've moved beyond adolescence lol

·
Registered
188 Posts
My mom is the worst. She wants a detailed explanation of everything, and half the time I legitimately wasn't paying enough attention to whatever she was asking about to even make up a story. I do things cause I'm bored or it seemed like a good idea at the time. If it was a bad idea then I was misinformed or just being lazy, oh well learn from my mistakes.

Or the worst is when I know some random fact about something and someone asks angrily "how did I know that?!" I wouldn't mind an "oh really where'd you hear that?" because that just leads to a peaceful conversation, not an argument. I'm one to pick out bullshitters but I don't usually call them out if I don't need too; I just know not to follow what they're saying.

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. It's pretty common where somebody will ask me why I'm doing something or why I'm not doing something. Most of the time it's because of a very trivial reason that's not worth getting into.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I hate small-talk for the sake of small-talk. Like when my mom asks me about my friends, where they're moving, what they're doing, what they're going to do etc. I get annoyed. They have nothing to use that peice of information for.

And at family gatherings (generally hate those) when people ask "so what're you doing now" etc. I answer their questions truthfully and politely, but what I really wanna say is "why in the world are you asking me that, when you're going to forget it and ask me the exact same thing next year?".

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yep I know just what you mean. Its the asking of minute pointless things that annoys me and I usually end up saying "You know stuff..." or just yes or no, then the person usually thinks i'm strange because I don't love to answer questions about every detail of my day like them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A specific kind of questioning I hate is when you ask me a question or line of questions in order to ask me something that has nothing to do with any of the questions. Ex: To ask me what I'm doing and how I'm feeling in order to ask me to borrow the car.
Also: Useless questions, common sense questions, questions about things I have to break down even though my first answer was sufficient, questions that are really just insults or criticisms in disguise...

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
I have the same problem and I assumed it ultimately came down to my dislike of details (which all INFPs have iirc). Nothing irritates me more than inane questions. My gran, bless her, is the worlds worst for it. As soon as I step through her door I'm bombarded with stupid questions and Captain Obvious statements (which irritate me just as much).

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Do you even hate to be asked questions by people you are getting to know? INTPs are very curious and love to ask questions to understand things and you too! We don't ask questions because we want to judge or because we want to simply start a conversation. I think we usually ask questions because we genuinely want to know something. Does this annoy you also?

·
Registered
716 Posts
When people ask me questions to get to know me, it isn't as pointless. There's another reason for the questions. The kind I hate are those that people seem to only be asking because they have the choice between being silent and bored or asking and mildly amused and choose the latter.

I don't ask many questions when I get to know people. I can be best friends with someone and completely know how he/she is, though still not knowing his/her family situation or even his/her age.

When I know somebody, I don't know the details but the big picture. You can probably relate to that, seeing that you are N :happy:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm a big hater of small talk.

I ask probing questions, myself. Things that make people think about themselves to answer.

A lot of people get annoyed at me because I don't listen to music, I don't watch television, and I haven't been to a movie theater in about 2 years. I have no interest in cars or sports or fashion or the news or fictional books. I travel around in my honda civic and I collect people's life stories over a cup of coffee or ten.

·
Registered
155 Posts
When I ask questions it's often leading questions of the Socratic type (leading questions.) Heck, one time, a friend of mine was convinced of a subject, and we discussed it, and by asking leading questions, I subconsciously managed to skew him over to defending the exact other viewpoint. That was pretty bizarre.

As for getting asked pointless questions like "what are you going to do?", "what are you doing?", "what have you done?", and "what will happen if I do this", I just answer with nonsense. I don't see the importance in saying something useless for the sake of saying something. If people have questions about me and my viewpoints, then I'm a completely different beast though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There are also other situations, as such my mom asks why my girlfriend isn't coming over. I explain to her the reason doesn't matter, just that she isn't, and not to worry about it. She doesn't understand this, and when I become impatient and lash out she claims I have an attitude. I want to say the real meaning of this topic is my confusion to why people can't ask intelligent questions that have meaning or an interesting direction for me to actually talk about it. Does anyone else have this problem? :dry:
The answer is because these people are not infps. My esfj mom does this a lot lately, I respond with "it doesn't matter" and she gets all upset at me for not answering. She will spend 10 minutes telling me every detail of her trip to the grocery when nothing significant happened; it is very annoying. I am trying to learn to accept people as they are however it is not easy.

A lot of people get annoyed at me because I don't listen to music, I don't watch television, and I haven't been to a movie theater in about 2 years. I have no interest in cars or sports or fashion or the news or fictional books. I travel around in my honda civic and I collect people's life stories over a cup of coffee or ten.
I have been wanting to just travel around and talk to random people about their life, problem is I'm scared I would never actually meet anyone.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I hate getting asked questions such as:
What are you doing? - It's none of your damn business, it has no importance to you and don't need to know.

How was school? (mom used to do this EVERY freaking day when I lived with her) - how do you THINK school was? It was school! It was BORING! My answer to this question NEVER EVER changes so why do you continue to fucking ask?

What are you thinking? - again, none of your damn business.

I also DESPISE just about any question any customer at work could ever ask me because 99% of the time all they have to do is read the package to answer there own question, but apparently don't know how to read or just plain lazy so they feel the need to interrupt what I am doing and come annoy the shit out of me.

Customer: "Durrrr, does this need batteries?"
Me: (Reads the package) "Yes"
Customer: "What kind should I get?"
Me: (reads the package AGAIN) "D." Then I walk off completely aggragravated and fighting the urge to punch them in the face or curse them out.

Reactions: DaEvil1

·
Registered
155 Posts
I hate getting asked questions such as:
What are you doing? - It's none of your damn business, it has no importance to you and don't need to know.

How was school? (mom used to do this EVERY freaking day when I lived with her) - how do you THINK school was? It was school! It was BORING! My answer to this question NEVER EVER changes so why do you continue to fucking ask?

What are you thinking? - again, none of your damn business.

I also DESPISE just about any question any customer at work could ever ask me because 99% of the time all they have to do is read the package to answer there own question, but apparently don't know how to read or just plain lazy so they feel the need to interrupt what I am doing and come annoy the shit out of me.

Customer: "Durrrr, does this need batteries?"
Me: (Reads the package) "Yes"
Customer: "What kind should I get?"
Me: (reads the package AGAIN) "D." Then I walk off completely aggragravated and fighting the urge to punch them in the face or curse them out.
Shiiiiiiiit....

I thought I was one of the most easily innoyed INFP's when getting asked redundant questions. I seem to have met my match though. I suppose if nothing else, these people makes us feel alive :p

·
Registered
902 Posts
I don't like to talk in general, so it usually annoys me. People ask questions to fill in space, because silence is awkward and questions are a friendly way to get to know someone. It's rare they remember what has been said.

I remember when I was younger, this man interested in me talked about himself nonstop and asked me all of these questions. I sat there and stared blankly at him. He asked why I wasn't talking and I said, "Why do people have this need to talk constantly?" He got embarrassed and got mad at me. I wasn't interested in him at all, so it didn't matter, but I didn't know what to do with the uncomfortable air.

I mean, I am glad I have more social skills now, but the same feeling is still there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts