Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im talking like 2 days...and you know they read it.

Reactions: The Hungry One

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Depends what the message was. Maybe it bored them. Maybe they just don't feel in a talkative mood. I ignore my friends messages, and can do that for days, if I feel down. But I make sure not to read them, so that it won't say that I have. It really annoys me that messages show when someone has seen them.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
As a chronic slow returner of messages, I agree with all the reasons listed and must add that:

1. It's never a sign that I do not care for a person. I don't feel like I'm abandoning anyone and I don't knowingly inflict sadness because I am not aware of the sadness (until recently one of my friends took forever responding to me. Then I realized).

2. When I forget to respond because life gets in the way, it's not because I care more about life than I can about my friends. It's because life is always in my face.

3. Sometimes I take a while to respond because I am afraid of seeming overeager. It's a weird insecurity thing.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Depends.

I mean, personally, I can take anywhere from a split second to a couple days to reply. If I'm greeted with a huge wall of text, I'm less inclined to sift through it and pick out the bits I can respond to.
On the other hand, I'm not one for small talk unless I'm genuinely interested in how the other person is or what they've been doing, so a mere 'hi how r u' isn't exactly going to stimulate conversation with me.

If it's a topic I'm not interested in or don't know much about, then I'm also less likely to reply with haste (or at all, really. If you start talking politics to me I will probably blank you).

Then there's the days where my depression shines through and if someone-else starts talking about their problems, I'm really just not in the mood for it. Too much going on in my own head.
It doesn't mean I don't care or don't want to help, I just can't at that moment.

Granted though, even if I'm upset or in a mood, if a close friend seems to really need someone to talk to then I'll force a smile and try to make them feel better.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Oh there are so many reasons why I do it:

1. The conversation is starting to go no where.
3. I'm too anxious to deal with the person, or too depressed. I guess sometimes both at once.
4. I'm too busy to be on my phone.

I guess I'm biased with texting. I never really cared much to text anyone, maybe it's because no one interesting cares to speak to me. Because it's just bland conversations I typically just text if I have a question or something and it's really important and I can't call. Texting to me is like a voicemail through writing. You get the message but you don't necessarily have to respond back.

Reactions: Accidie

·
MOTM Nov 2012
3,867 Posts
If 2 days bothers you I would drive you to homocide.

If it's deliberate then biggest thing for me is E9 stubbornness stuff, responding to another's requests can feel like obligation and pressure, or it's a need to withdraw. However it's not often deliberate as I have a relatively short attention span and a shit memory so you'll typically either get a response straight away, or it could take a month.

TBH I rarely read texts as soon as they come through. Just checked my phone and there are 13 unread texts, the oldest is 2 weeks old... oops. I just forget, and I hate phones. I get Dory.

Reactions: QueenofEagles

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
For me, it's just overwhelming, that's all. This happens to me with everyone. I was even overwhelmed with messages from my ex-girlfriend at first, but we were together for two years.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Don't have anything to say at the moment; and who knows how long that could last. Happens in person as well, if i am comfortable with the person and there is no direct question.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts