Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 625 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's ridiculous to me how you can go on a thread about something related to morality and you get a bunch of INTJs saying "lolz i hav no feelingz feeling r pointles i am smar t" as if their Fi is completely nonexistent. It leads to a lot of confusion in the community and I'm sure it leads to a lot of mistyping as well - "I have no feelings, I'm an INTJ" / "I have feelings/morals/social skills, I'm not an INTJ".

So why do people like to act like it's trendy to be a sociopath on here?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think some people just like being part of the circle-jerk. If there's one thing I've noticed in my short few days on this site, it's that there are a decent number of people here who take MTBI classifications way too seriously and might be more susceptible to groupthink than they'd care to admit.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
People are what other people expect them to be.

If you call someone a bully, they will be a bully.

If you call someone a failure, you will be a failure.

In Easy A--although it is a movie, it does contain truth in this aspect--Olive was being called a slut and tramp and she said, "If people are going to say I'm a slut, then I'm going to be the best slut there is!" as she stitches a red A to all her clothing.

That seems extreme, but that is what is going on in the subconscious level.

ALSO, considering type, people like to fit in and feel accepted. So they adhere to the qualities of others so they feel part of the team. And they put down people who are different so they can further emphasize the difference to show they are REALLY part of the team.

·
Registered
12,017 Posts
Some of it's just the excitement of finally finding corroboration and being validated, I think. I mean, it was a big big deal to me the first time I saw myself on cold hard paper and realised for the first time I didn't have anything to apologize for. It's kind of heady :D Probably most of us go through a bit of a being-an-asshole phase for a while on the strength of it, depending on how long or how badly our cognitive style's been repressed.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
It's ridiculous to me how you can go on a thread about something related to morality and you get a bunch of INTJs saying "lolz i hav no feelingz feeling r pointles i am smar t" as if their Fi is completely nonexistent. It leads to a lot of confusion in the community and I'm sure it leads to a lot of mistyping as well - "I have no feelings, I'm an INTJ" / "I have feelings/morals/social skills, I'm not an INTJ".

Its for any of the following reasons:

1. They're mistyped and trying too hard
2. They're an idiot
3. They're far too young

Also, THANK YOU.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,434 Posts
Tis the essence of MBTI forums.

l remember a post about internet tribalism on Perc awhile ago. Applies to just about any group, in varying degrees. We now find people "like us'' and narrow the "like us" criteria. We only display the traits that we have in common with the group, etc.

The effect it has on the type subforums is a repeat of all the same questions being asked, l see new users who stay quiet and inevitably their first post is something they've seen around the forum they think will yield a lot of positive response. "Hey, as___, don't you all hate it when ___?'' Of course, most people don't get sick of it and probably enjoy rehashing it, so they can again communicate all of their similarities and further outline the group's "profile".

l like MBTI in general but l tend to try and move around the site a lot, when l spend too much time in any type's forum l start to see the patterns and it gets boring.

There's still some good information and entertainment here if you venture around xD

·
Registered
30 Posts
Doesn't the Fi develop quite a bit later in life?

So, if it develops on average at age 25 or so, and the most populated age distribution is, say, 18-30 year olds, then there would be a mix of users who have underdeveloped Fi mixed with users who have or are developing Fi.

So, it would basically be a mix of younger people who haven't developed Fi much yet, trolls, and people who are simply creating a self fulfilling prophecy based off of MBTI.

Which is basically a reiteration of what was already stated.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

Some people do it out of immaturity.

Some people do it out of mistyping.

Some people do it ironically.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
One of the down sides of knowing your MBTI type, you tend to want to twist your own unique personality in order to fit into a certain stereotypical box.
Cuz you want to fit in... We ALL want to fit in. I suspect writing out your idiosyncracies to become a stereotype is a part of wanting to fit in.

Reactions: PlacentaCake

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I am a philanthropist, brony, artist and all kinds of nerd. And I also have very poor connection to my Fi, so when ever I behave like stereotypical INTJ, it is because I am an INTJ and some of it comes with a baggage. It changes not the facts that I only wish well for most of mankind, hope to see enlightenment via science and education to bring prosperity globally and really like pastel ponies preaching about friendship.
However, I can be abrasive, domineering and a jerk because I know that I know better.

Most of the time I need it explained to me when I am "insensitive" to someone's emotions or am being too blunt, focus on facts instead of people etc. and when that is done, I will try to remedy the situation, as I do not wish to offend, you never can make a point by offending people, it just puts them to defence and makes then unreceptive.

I do not know why or if people even think it is trendy to pretend to be a sociopath, likely because TV shows that idolize such character flaws, like Dexter.

Addendum: Some people just are idiots too, they hide behind anonymity and think of themselves cool, and then they pick and choose all the "jerk" and "loner" choices in the personality test and come here to flaunt their malfunction. Likely mistyped.

·
Banned
218 Posts
I'm generally apathetic towards conversations about morality. I truly do not "feel" anything regarding them. The closest thing to morals that I have, is a general rule of not causing physical harm to others unless they intend to harm me or someone else that can't defend themselves (a child).

·
Registered
365 Posts
There is also the possibly, shocking though it may be, that the misinterpretations of the typical (ie common) actions /attitudes of the INTJ are given a lot of exposure. Even if they're not common, any instance of such behavior perpetuates the stereotype. The more common the behavior, the worse it gets. Should people pretend "thing x" isn't true of them if it is? Just to debunk a stereotype?

1 - 20 of 625 Posts