Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
Unrequited love is for those that struggle to manage their wants against a lack of mutuality and the incongruence with expectation to reality.
Less about one's sex and more about poor/effective coping methods.

I also think what promotes this circumstance is a lack of communication, some people play other's emotions to their own ends while not being reciprocal. Sometimes its willful manipuatlion, sometimes its passivity, but both result in a conflict that is better nipped at the bud than later so that people can invest their time in those that mutually agree to the terms of the relationship.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Unrequited love is for those that struggle to manage their wants against a lack of mutuality and the incongruence with expectation to reality.

I also think what promotes this circumstance is a lack of communication, some people play other's emotions to their own ends while not being reciprocal. Sometimes its willful manipuatlion, sometimes its passivity, but both result in a conflict that is better nipped at the bud than later so that people can invest their time in those that mutually agree to the terms of the relationship.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Obviously this isn't true or we wouldn't have healthy relationships where two people are in love with each other.

I can't tell if this is some crazy "woe is me" thread or not...

*shrugs*

·
Registered
596 Posts
supply and demand/consumer psychology

·
Registered
209 Posts

I kept on going to add my thoughts to this post @Wellsy wrote and then erasing them, because it really encapsulates everything that needs to be said. Bravo! I hope you dropped the mike at the end of this one!

Reactions: Wellsy

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I think ppl who can't stop loving a person who doesn't love them back is because they haven't found a better candidate to bestow their romantic yearning. It's all in their mind that the person they love is the end all be all.

Reactions: Enygmatic

·
Registered
381 Posts

I think unrequited love is not wrong (though it can hurt) but it depends how you express those feelings and how long it goes on. Many relationships start with unrequited love (e.g. my parents) but if things don't change I can understand how it can turn into a problem. If the unrequited love becomes obsessive or leads to bad actions then it would be very unhealthy but I don't think any type of love is inherently unhealthy, it just depends in how you show your feelings and how much it takes over your life.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I want to hear the other side of this topic.
Also on how men perceive this situation.
Go!
I don't view this issue as gender dichotomous at all. plenty of males and females on both sides of the fence here. a better question might have been "why do Sx doms love you when you don't love them?" :tongue:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I think it's because people can't help who they develop romantic feelings for. Most people can't just turn off their feelings for someone else just because the person they have feelings for doesn't feel the same.
Also, I think that the person still feels like they're getting something out of the attraction, even if it isn't love from the other person. It might not be conscious, but on some level, being in love with that particular person feels better than not being in love with anyone at all, even if the other person doesn't love them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts