Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, I have participated in sharing opinions about the Enneagram types of people writing to What's my Enneagram Type section - I even started a thread of my own because I became so curious... I've noticed that certain PerC members tend to help the lost ones ;) I just wonder why do you do it. I by myself am interested to find out about other people, to solve little puzzles and apply my knowledge. In addition, maybe I'm vain but I want to participate, become wiser about Enneagram and people and leave my own mark there.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
I like to add something other than just my opinion on here, and I love supporting other people. Hmm.. that has always been a issue with me, not being able to motivate myself in anything that doesn't act in a supporting role for others' betterment.

I do enjoy trying to work out the details of where the division is between types, though I think it is fairly impossible.

If I'm willing to argue against the MBTI in favor of the Enneagram, then I should be willing to help the Enneagram grow when I have the opportunity.

It is an interesting topic also, and endless, rarely repetitive.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
A mixture of alleviating boredom, interest, a wish to test my knowledge, and to probe into the deepest, darkest motivations that others have... I mean, to help people grow and learn about themselves. :wink: As you mentioned, I like to solve puzzles.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It keeps the newbies from creating generalizations and stereotypes. The sooner people can help them figure out who they are, the better.
Amen... Just yesterday I wrote to someone that I could see her thinking of being a Four just based on her writing. In the end of the post she actually admitted it. I thought she was a Six and asked why would she want to be a Four in the first place. No offense to Fours but I just don't get why so many people want to be Fours. I could relate to that when I wasn't really healthy but I don't know, are there so many unhealthy people out there then? I hope not...

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Amen... Just yesterday I wrote to someone that I could see her thinking of being a Four just based on her writing. In the end of the post she actually admitted it. I thought she was a Six and asked why would she want to be a Four in the first place. No offense to Fours but I just don't get why so many people want to be Fours. I could relate to that when I wasn't really healthy but I don't know, are there so many unhealthy people out there then? I hope not...
My guess is they think it makes them more interesting, or unique. In my humble opinion, i think that many people who are unhealthy type themselves as 4's ( and before i get smacked in the face, i'm not saying this is true for everyone, although it is for some, too obvious ) And yes i agree, there are SO many unhealthy people out there that it makes me wonder exactly what effect it has on us that are healthy. Should healthy people be surrounded by unhealthy ones ? Would we choose to be around unhealthy people in our reality, not likely, here we have no choice.

Reactions: zallla

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My guess is they think it makes them more interesting, or unique. In my humble opinion, i think that many people who are unhealthy type themselves as 4's ( and before i get smacked in the face, i'm not saying this is true for everyone, although it is for some, too obvious ) And yes i agree, there are SO many unhealthy people out there that it makes me wonder exactly what effect it has on us that are healthy. Should healthy people be surrounded by unhealthy ones ? Would we choose to be around unhealthy people in our reality, not likely, here we have no choice.
I agree with you... I want to help others but sometimes it's just so frustrating. And I know I didn't believe it when others said I'm not a Four, I felt like it very strongly - and I hate to be told anyway.

The day I realize how to make people to differentiate their unhealthy personalities with self-esteem issues and some kind of depression from original Fours will be an extraordinary one for me xD

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I like to understand people. And I like to see other people begin to understand themselves more. I cannot understand them as well as they can, so I try and help by letting them do the thinking. I am simply there to give advice, point them in the right direction, tell them perhaps my opinion that may or may not be wrong (and I tell them that too). I like it when people start thinking for themselves and start analyzing themselves. I wonder how many people just expect somebody to say, "Oh, you're a type Whutever" and they just take it on without thinking. I dislike seeing people completely lost or mislead, so I try and help in what ways I can. It's very fun for me too. ^^

I like to understand people and people are a puzzle to me. And even though I have no patience for regular puzzles, people are the funnest challenge. Even though that's not the main reason why I help. XD

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I'd like to deprive people of the painful experience of mistyping due to lack of objectively valid information...which I might add is in short supply. I think its my empathy...seeing myself in their place.

\o/ plus all dem darn stereotypes are pissin me off! I also think, that I think I know better XD....

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Well it makes perfect sense why I help others type themselves...

1. I have a heavy Fe and it makes me want to help people.
2. I have Ne which causes me to be curious and want to know what a person's type is to begin with.
3. I view figuring out their type as a puzzle, and I am a Ti user so I like to solve puzzles.

Reactions: zallla

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I'd like to deprive people of the painful experience of mistyping due to lack of objectively valid information...which I might add is in short supply. I think its my empathy...seeing myself in their place.

\o/ plus all dem darn stereotypes are pissin me off! I also think, that I think I know better XD....
That's something that bugs me too. X_x Deeply bugs me.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I learn more when I use it for something practical. so I read up on the types when I can use my knowledge to type someone :)

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
1. I co-authored the questionnaire because I wanted to streamline the typing process. I wanted to make it more focused, effective, efficient and "professional" (whatever that means in the context of a forum;) ). I didn't want to see typers and people wanting help with their typing to ramble on without a meaningful direction in sight.

I, also, wanted to bring more "logic and rationality" into the process. I can't tolerate rubbish like typing based on "vibes" and "writing styles" and "keywords" (and even ..avatars, usernames emoticon usage and photos *sigh*). I trust my instincts, but going solely by intangibles like "vibes" and "feels" can be unhelpful and inaccurate. It has insulted my intelligence roundly, in the past. I wanted to uproot this tendency or regulate it, as I see fit, and bring more objectivity into the equation.

And, I didn't want to see personal boundaries crossed during unstructured conversations. I take this very seriously.

2. I help people with their type because there is a) a lot of misinformation available on the internet, and a lot of negative stereotyping (esp. superego types) which not only keeps people from identifying their type but also causes them to make unfounded sweeping generalizations about others. b) I know what I am talking about after having studied the Enneagram, at length, in silence, with an open and analytical mind and sincere interest.

I am well aware of its flaws and merits. I take the helpful parts and discard the rest. I am open to sharing what I have learnt, not just because I am confident in my knowledge and ability to provide useful insights, but because I want people to utilize the E in the best way possible without ruining it for themselves and others (thanks to limited info. and half baked stereotypes). When I see a useful tool, I like to see its integrity maintained.

3. I actually love reading people's answers. I've read some extremely interesting questionnaires. They help me understand people better. I feel closer to them, at times, without ever interacting with them. It's a privilege to peer into someone's psyche:). It really is. I appreciate the opportunity.

And, I want to encourage people to answer the questionnaire if they need any help with their typing. It's an excellent tool, when used honestly. Also, keep an open mind during the typing process.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Lately, I have participated in sharing opinions about the Enneagram types of people writing to What's my Enneagram Type section - I even started a thread of my own because I became so curious... I've noticed that certain PerC members tend to help the lost ones ;) I just wonder why do you do it. I by myself am interested to find out about other people, to solve little puzzles and apply my knowledge. In addition, maybe I'm vain but I want to participate, become wiser about Enneagram and people and leave my own mark there.
I want to help others gain self knowledge. It helps from what I've seen from myself the elements of my personality I express and how I can improve myself. I just want others to realize there's all this information (about 16 MBTI, enneagram, tritypes, cognitive functions, and to an extent socionics) that can help them discover about themselves. I was completely lost of who I was before I learned all this stuff (and still learning). I don't openly help others besides my friends unless someone specifically asks. Self knowledge is always helpful in my opinion. Also, I can direct them in the right direction once they find out. Internet is full of misinformation. I've even had to give a Jungian typology test to my friend that wanted to learn more about himself. Most of the time I just direct them here, PerC and tell them to join us. Best personality describing site I've ever seen, and the people are so nice/helpful.:happy:

·
Registered
NiTe 549
5,321 Posts
Reading the threads is very beneficial for me, as I'm still solidifying my knowledge of the Enneagram. (I don't feel confident to help just yet.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts