Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just looking at a frequency table of the different types on The Myers Briggs Foundation website, and it struck me as odd that, despite being quite similar to the most common type (ISFJ: 13.8%), INFJ should be the rarest type, at just 1.5% of the population. I know that Ns are rarer than Ss, but still, I would have thought it would have been another N type, like the ENTP or something, that was the rarest. I do not have any knowledge of why one type would be more common than another, other than my own speculation. My theory is that, whether we are I or E and whether we are J or P depends on how we were parented, and has to do with our "attachment style". Why the particular combination of I, N, F and J would be so rare, though, I have no idea.

Does anybody have any knowledge or ideas about this?

I'm INFP by the way, but my mother is INFJ, so I would be quite interested to know.

·
Master
1,886 Posts
@knife pointed out in another thread that Ni is the rarest dom/aux function as INTJ, INFJ, ENFJ and ENTJ are the rarest types. Then couple that with the fact that Te thinkers greatly outnumber Ti and it's no surprise that INFJ is the lowest percentage.

PS: Personality type is with you from birth and it doesn't matter how you were raised it will still be with you. I was raised in an SJ environment and it was really hard for me, if your theory was correct that wouldn't be true.

PPS: Study functions, the eight letters that make up MBTI types are misleading and cause a lot of confusion with those new to MBTI.

Please check for related threads before posting your own. There's already a INFJ rarity thread that was created recently and is still active.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The number of INFJs hit by cars because they were deep in thought or distracted by a bird are probably disproportionately higher than any of the other types, so that keeps a rare population in check. It's sort of like how endangered animals get hunted to cull their numbers so more food is available for the other ones.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
My first guess is stubbornness. Stone, unmovable stubbornness.

Our jobs, relationships and interests won't mellow us or sway us . . .at least not yet.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I understand functions, I just didn't think of them when I was wondering why one type might be rarer than another type. I beg to differ about the causes of people's types though. INFP is so closely linked with the Insecure-Avoidant attachment style that it even says so on Celebrity Types. Attachment styles are caused by how we are raised, and we have an "Internal Working Model" of ourselves that shapes our personalities and how we relate to others. Thus, if I am correct, INFPs are introverted and perceivers because they want to avoid people (introverted) and conflict (perceiving), because they are used to an authoritarian style of parenting. I wasn't saying that kids take after their parents, by the way. My parents are both Js, so why would three of us out of their four children be Ps? Because of how we learned to deal with them.

P.S. Sorry about the duplicated thread. I did do a search and couldn't find anything from the results.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I think it's a secret government conspiracy. INFJ were once prevalent and lived harmoniously among each other and all was wonderful. Unfortunately however the non-INFJs grew jealous of our intuitive prowess and formed an anti-INFJ rebellion. The war was short; they exploited our inferior Se and we were ruthlessly and mercilessly exterminated like vermin by their powerful concrete weaponry. They hunted us down one by one like the Jedi and built an empire of sensors and extraverts who aggressively sought to suppress all who dared to exhibit any signs of intuition.

Practicing Ni was strictly forbidden and punishable by psychological torture. Defeated, the few remaining INFJs fled and were driven into exile. Some of us remained but were forced to conceal our intuition. Generations passed. Our ways were forgotten and the era of the INFJ was erased from history books and eventually dismissed as ancient myth.

It is rumoured that a secret code exists somewhere within the paintings of the surrealists and abstract painters and the work of various INFJ philosophers who predicted the fall of the INFJs before it happened. A code that, if deciphered, will reveal coordinates to a secret underground INFJ society...

·
Master
1,886 Posts
I think it's a secret government conspiracy. INFJ were once prevalent and lived harmoniously among each other and all was wonderful. Unfortunately however the non-INFJs grew jealous of our intuitive prowess and formed an anti-INFJ rebellion. The war was short; they exploited our inferior Se and we were ruthlessly and mercilessly exterminated like vermin by their powerful concrete weaponry. They hunted us down one by one like the Jedi and built an empire of sensors and extraverts who aggressively sought to suppress all who dared to exhibit any signs of intuition.

Practicing Ni was strictly forbidden and punishable by psychological torture. Defeated, the few remaining INFJs fled and were driven into exile. Some of us remained but were forced to conceal our intuition. Generations passed. Our ways were forgotten and the era of the INFJ was erased from history books and eventually dismissed as ancient myth.

It is rumoured that a secret code exists somewhere within the paintings of the surrealists and abstract painters and the work of various INFJ philosophers who predicted the fall of the INFJs before it happened. A code that, if deciphered, will reveal coordinates to a secret underground INFJ society...
100% truth. You can still see signs of the old empire oppressing Ni usage even to this day. Our gentle race is but a faint shadow of it's former glory. Rest in peace fallen INFJ brothers and sisters, rest well.

·
Registered
583 Posts
INFJs and ISFJs are so so so so so so so so different. Actually Isfj is the type i have most difficult to put up with (that's just a personal thing).

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
There are 16 different types, or groups. It's more likely that one will be more rare, or less populated, than for them all to be relatively equal. It's probably an evolutionary sort of thing too. A tribe won't last very long if most of the people in it were shaman instead of hunter-gatherers, lol. That's less relevant today for the most part, but that irrelevant factor has only been a recent thing too, and mostly centered in the more westernized cultures.

Why INFJs in particular are rare could be any number of reasons, from biological difficulties in forming the connections in the brain that make up the functions, to a lack of personal reporting by INFJs who are too busy (or too unaware) to report or even find out their type. Could be cultural too, in that some areas of the world are more populated with, or more likely to naturally have, INFJs than others, and it's those others that are the areas getting population reports instead.

There should be a personality type checkmark on the US census or something, lol.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
The number of INFJs hit by cars because they were deep in thought or distracted by a bird are probably disproportionately higher than any of the other types, so that keeps a rare population in check. It's sort of like how endangered animals get hunted to cull their numbers so more food is available for the other ones.
Perfect response.

Honestly though, I've been thinking about this. I think NJs in general are harder to find because in some ways intuition and "judging"-ness - direction, purpose, drive - are usually contradictory. Dom/aux Ne users are more prevalent (imo) because it makes more sense... It isn't as contradictory. To be driven and purposeful AND abstract, creative, explorative? In someways, we don't make sense.

I mean, this doesn't justify we there are so few INFJs, but I think it is something to consider that INFJ traits (just the MBTI N and J) can be so contradictory.

That said I do think it is something to consider that... INFJs aren't really the ones who would have the best chance of survival. Se is last for them. Survival isn't as natural. I don't know how evolution among personality percentages would happen, if at all, but... I don't know. If all of humanity were INFJ, they would be in trouble of survival. Just something to think about seriously.

Reactions: reveur

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
Assuming no natural or man-made catastrophic disasters happen anytime soon, perhaps we'll see more of our type flourish? We're progressing in the era of technology and living where our abilities are more of an assest and 'physical survivability' is less of an issue. And it certainly seems like people are increasingly in need of therapists and advisors and whatnot, so there's that too. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
INFJ's aren't that useful numerous say compared to ISFJ's. This is why there is so little Ni users but there S counterparts are incredibly numerous. The only exception is ENFP's who make up 8% of the population. I think they're allow to break the exception because they're emotional harmonizers usually social.

I have no idea about evolutionary biology. I might go do research about it.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
It doesn't concern INFJs only, but Se tertiary and inferiors in general. Before our modern times, being physically less resilient meant a huge handicap in survival. :th_wink:

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
I rarely ever bust out laughing at something that I read, but some of these posts killed me. Great job, you guys.

I'll speak more in terms of functions:

I believe that one primary reason is because we're introverts that have extroverted feeling (Fe) as our secondary function, which makes us almost paradoxical in nature. We're drained by people, and yet we have a very strong drive to create harmony amongst those around us, and we're legitimately concerned with their feelings. On top of this, we're also Js, which gives us our perfectionism and drive, which is something that is also atypical of NFs. Our traits may not seem that sophisticated on their own, but together they make up pairings and team-ups that almost seem contradictory on paper, and yet they work in execution.

INFJs are somewhat overrepresented on this forum (and a lot of other forums, for that matter) because this sort of thing is pretty much our arena. It combines our love of helping and interacting with others with our love of sitting comfortably at home.

Reactions: INFJme

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
INFJs and ISFJs are so so so so so so so so different. Actually Isfj is the type i have most difficult to put up with (that's just a personal thing).
My SO is ISFJ. We're not that different, the only thing I'd say differs is that we are intuitive and see meanings behind everything, so much do we search for meanings that we fail to notice the thing itself and just indulge on its meanings. ISFJ can see the thing, but not the meaning of it, or hardly. INFJ is more romantic, ISFJ is not as much, but still noticeable. INFJ is an innovator, ISFJ is a traditionalist, but you can change what is considered "tradition" very slowly, takes patience.

INFJ and ISFJ can work, I think I actually prefer ISFJ over INFJ, sorry guys, but sometimes INFJ is really annoying with the depressions and all that ugly mess-o-stuff. I like INFJs that seek happiness and avoid the ones that are selfish or seek depression. ISFJ seeks happiness, therefore it's a better choice. Also, INFJ forgets to take care of basic needs, ISFJ is great at that, so they really feel like guardians. Mine feels like that especially when she's healthy. We've been together for 7 years now. I love her.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's difficult to explain, because according to some people there are no circumstances under which somebody could "raise" a new type of personality inside of himself, different from the one he was born with. But in my opinion it is possible to change your type (especially when you're young) by our own becoming mature or a pression of our environment. Maybe INFJs are so rare, because the world told them to become something else and they don't want to proove themselves?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I think INFJs embody traits that are statistically more female than male. In a weird way, it's like the rarity of crossgender / transgender / hermaphordite people. I don't know the terms, don't hate on me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.