Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the obvious evolutionary advantage, I am more or less looking for the reasons why they have higher advantage. Also I am interested in hearing out various opinions on this topic.

Anyways here is one of my reasoning(I personally have quite a bit of theories regarding that however this seems the most probable one so far imo) , which I can think about over the top of my head. Often times we see that actually most of the revolutionary ideas or changes in the society is brought by N types. Like Ennstein, or so. However most of the N types also contribute to destructive activities like WW or so, cough cough Hitler. So from that information, it seems to me that relying on N is much less reliable than S, who don't seek such activities in large quantities. S types not being so keen to change things(except perhaps some SPs) would for such reasons have better chances of survival, even in current society. That is not to change they are opposed to change, in fact they are open to changes provided you can prove it's benefits in practice.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think it's just that an actual mind works more like an S type, so the model makes the definitions stricter so a good amount fall under N as well.

·
Registered
ISTP 9w8
658 Posts
Aside from the obvious evolutionary advantage, I am more or less looking for the reasons why they have higher advantage. Also I am interested in hearing out various opinions on this topic.
What, you mean paying attention to surroundings and being concerned with practicalities? I think those are pretty good reasons.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mostly yes. However, isn't Se the function related to paying attention to surrounding? Practicality seems to be a Te thing.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,865 Posts

Anyways here is one of my reasoning(I personally have quite a bit of theories regarding that however this seems the most probable one so far imo) , which I can think about over the top of my head. Often times we see that actually most of the revolutionary ideas or changes in the society is brought by N types. Like Ennstein, or so. However most of the N types also contribute to destructive activities like WW or so, cough cough Hitler. So from that information, it seems to me that relying on N is much less reliable than S, who don't seek such activities in large quantities. S types not being so keen to change things(except perhaps some SPs) would for such reasons have better chances of survival, even in current society. That is not to change they are opposed to change, in fact they are open to changes provided you can prove it's benefits in practice.
I think it is because for every 1 idea generator, you need at least 15-20 people to enact the ideas. The day-to-day details are more crucial than the crises that we tend to excel at.

Why more Sensing Types than Intuitive Types?

Every estimate I’ve seen on the number of Sensing (S) Types and Intuitive (N) types places S types in the majority. The strength of that majority varies, but I’ve read estimates that range from a 55/45 spilt up to a 75/25 split in favor of the more grounded types. Why? What societal and evolutionary pressures leave my N brethren and I outnumbered?

Socially, a single visionary can come up with a great idea, but it often takes an army of workers to make it a reality. For instance, to erect a building, it takes anywhere from a handful to hundreds of workers to lay the foundation, stand up the frame, insert electrical and plumbing, hang sheetrock for walls, paint those walls, and any other number of tasks. Each of those teams needs a leader, someone who can make the trains run on time, who makes sure that the craftsman have the material and tools they need. Most of all, the leader needs to make sure the craftsmen get paid on time. The building only needs one architect.

·
Registered
ISTP 9w8
658 Posts
Mostly yes. However, isn't Se the function related to paying attention to surrounding? Practicality seems to be a Te thing.
Both high Se and Si users pay attention to their surroundings, they just process the information differently. And by practicality I simply mean that sensors are more likely to pursue activities that have consequences in the real world, and the facts around how those activities will be implemented. The activities themselves may not be "practical" in the sense that they or other people benefit from them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both high Se and Si users pay attention to their surroundings, they just process the information differently. And by practicality I simply mean that sensors are more likely to pursue activities that have consequences in the real world, and the facts around how those activities will be implemented. The activities themselves may not be "practical" in the sense that they or other people benefit from them.
I guess it would be better to term it as short term activity, since the activity affects the immediate surroundings. Developed NJs also pursue activity/action after their thinking phase on the long term aspect. So thereby it can give an illusion that it isn't an activity in real life.

·
Beer Guardian
15,865 Posts
All I know for sure is I don't understand how sensors handle all the endless details so well. I tend to handle them in the short-term okay, but the more they pile on, the more I begin to feel like I'm trying to hold water (or sand) in my hands. My eyes begin to glaze over and I start to lose focus if I spend too much time on the details and don't figure out a way to relate them to the bigger picture.

Reactions: Reginer

·
Registered
ISTP 9w8
658 Posts
I guess it would be better to term it as short term activity, since the activity affects the immediate surroundings. Developed NJs also pursue activity/action after their thinking phase on the long term aspect. So thereby it can give an illusion that it isn't an activity in real life.
Developed sensors also act toward long-term benefits, and spend their time considering possibilities or abstract meanings. But people used to die in their forties or younger. I would think relatively few people lived long enough to become well-rounded, especially with lack of access to education. I imagine the intuitives who "made it" historically tended to benefit from systems of privilege and had the advantages of other people taking care of "sensor stuff" for them. Systems of privilege including things like family wealth, university tenure, and patronage. Leonardo da Vinci comes to mind. Without the system of arts patronage in place at the time, he couldn't have afforded to produce his works, and probably wouldn't have become a well-known figure.

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
3,731 Posts
Intuitives actually far outnumber sensors. mbti-typings.my-free.website/

What you call "sensors" might actually be homosocial Naga beings, Nuwa beings, and Maitre beings: Energy-based people (who relies on internal feelings)...

* It's worth mentioning that Nuwa beings are somewhat unlike Naga and Maitre beings in that they have zero emotional repressions (while Naga and Maitre are emotionally repressed, in at least six out of eight) MBTI+: Emotional Repressions, Developments, and How They...

From what I read, intuitives actually have a distinct advantage in the wild, as their attempts to draw connections makes spotting camouflaged predators easier. So, instead of claiming "just some moving grass by wind", it's "a lion hiding in the grass and ready to pounce".

·
Registered
ISTP
431 Posts
It seems like N's are most useful after a stable baseline has been established by the S's. Only after the Sensors have located food, fought off predators and enemies, and built shelters can there be any meaninful planning of the future, much less art and other intellectual persuits!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Intuitives actually far outnumber sensors. mbti-typings.my-free.website/

What you call "sensors" might actually be homosocial Naga beings, Nuwa beings, and Maitre beings: Energy-based people (who relies on internal feelings)...

* It's worth mentioning that Nuwa beings are somewhat unlike Naga and Maitre beings in that they have zero emotional repressions (while Naga and Maitre are emotionally repressed, in at least six out of eight) MBTI+: Emotional Repressions, Developments, and How They...

From what I read, intuitives actually have a distinct advantage in the wild, as their attempts to draw connections makes spotting camouflaged predators easier. So, instead of claiming "just some moving grass by wind", it's "a lion hiding in the grass and ready to pounce".
Well, atleast based on my observation, S types far outweigh N population. It is actually hard to find an N type in real life.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
All I know for sure is I don't understand how sensors handle all the endless details so well. I tend to handle them in the short-term okay, but the more they pile on, the more I begin to feel like I'm trying to hold water (or sand) in my hands. My eyes begin to glaze over and I start to lose focus if I spend too much time on the details and don't figure out a way to relate them to the bigger picture.
You make it sound like all sensors are detail oriented about everything. If you're asking me to be detail oriented on an essay, you'll find I have zero fucks to give. But if walk past the convenience store by house, I can name off a ton of the products they're selling, who I see in the store and what they are wearing. Context is everything here.

·
Beer Guardian
15,865 Posts
You make it sound like all sensors are detail oriented about everything. If you're asking me to be detail oriented on an essay, you'll find I have zero fucks to give. But if walk past the convenience store by house, I can name off a ton of the products they're selling, who I see in the store and what they are wearing. Context is everything here.
I apologize if I over-generalized. I usually try to gently point that out when others do it. I suppose I'm just impressed by that skill, as it eludes me at times. I'm sure sensors are every bit as human as intuitives. They have their blindspots just like everyone else.

Reactions: Roslyn

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,415 Posts
I mean, the question answers itself. If Intutives are visionaries/idea people, then there would be no point having a majority of them as humans because people would just be shooting hypothetical and not actually doing anything.

Like Bart said to Lisa: ''Hey I'm the idea guy, you put the nuts and bolts together'' which is funny because Bart is a Se-Dom and Lisa is a Ni-Dom but I digress.

The point being you need many nuts and bolts people and only a handful of idea people for society to advance.

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,199 Posts
Well, the school system doesn't help promote intuition.
If the job market is going to shift more towards skills like creativity and innovation in the next decade due to automation, then schools ought to start teaching kids in a way that fosters an intuitive mind. Then again, I don't think a school's focus should be on getting kids into the workforce.

·
Beer Guardian
15,865 Posts
Well, the school system doesn't help.
If the job market is going to shift more towards skills like creativity and innovation in the next decade due to automation, then schools ought to start teaching kids in a way that fosters an intuitive mind.
Someone is still going to have to maintain the automation machinery.

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,199 Posts
Someone is still going to have to maintain the automation machinery.
Why do I always hear this in response to mass unemployment concerns over AI? No one is going to have a job market based around automation maintenance (or programmers - that's another one I hear.)

·
Beer Guardian
15,865 Posts
Why do I always hear this in response to mass unemployment concerns over AI? No one is going to have a job market based around automation maintenance (or programmers - that's another one I hear.)

About 70 years ago, "Computer" was a job title. NACA High Speed Flight Station "Computer Room" (1949)

Reactions: Reginer

·
Registered
ISTP
431 Posts
Guess it depends on which cognitive function is coupled with the 'S'. It's easier for me to go through a process of categorize -> skim -> sift. Looking at a bunch of disorganized details by themselves is not something most sensors would probably do.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts