Personality Cafe banner

241 - 260 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is a stereotype because people with zero people skills assume every dim bulb they meet is an ESFJ, rather than the far more likely conclusion that one's personality has very little bearing on intelligence. There is nothing quite so hilarious as the parade of other types on this thread explaining why emotional intelligence does not exist, or thinking aloud somehow doesn't count as thinking, or that an ESFJ who did not coddle the vanity of a subordinate was too stupid to know which end was up.

But don't mind me, apparently I am imagining 25 pages of thread because I'm an insecure, irrational, stupid ESFJ.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't know. That seems kind of immature to call out an entire massive group of people on the planet as being "dumb." It seems like statements like that just come from personal bad experiences or a narrow point of view.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Apparently, it's a stereotype, and it makes no sense to me. I understand how different personality types have different strengths and weaknesses, but how can you blame a person's level of intelligence on their personality? I think anyone could be a genius; it just depends on how hard they work and their willingness to learn. My mother, brother, and best friend are all ESFJs, and they are all very bright, intelligent people. I also know of an ESFJ who graduated valedictorian in a class of over 400.

Yes, when they get emotional or stressed, they don't really use logic or reasoning, but that's just because they are emotional. They aren't like that on a regular basis. This whole thing just confuses me.
It's not the thinking/feeling aspect that makes the ESFJs stupid. It's the Sensing/Intuition and the Judging/Percieving. All SJs would be stupid. SPs slighty less. NJs are rather smart and NPs are smart.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That is weird. I didn't even know this was a stereotype (I'm new to some of this). It seems rather narrow minded to assume that everyone of a personality type is a certain way and cannot diverge from that. Not everyone fits neatly in a box like that. But I guess that's why it's called a stereotype.

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
Because extroverts are less smart than introverts,sensors are less smart than intuitives(and soooo superficial)and my favourite,being smart means you Think,so logically,smart people can't be F's :rolleyes:

Anyway,really,I don't think ESFJ's are often discriminated against as a group aside from on this forum.NT's are just jealous lol

I've known plenty of SFJ's and only one of them is really,really unintelligent.Admittedly,some can be annoying,especially when unhealthy/under stress(but who isn't annoying then?) and act "dumb" or illogical but not generally stupid.And guess what,I'm a N and that doesn't change the fact my inferior Ti goes crazy sometimes and makes me look ridiculous,no amount of Ni can change that.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Disagree that everyone can be geniuses. You're born with intelligence. You can be motivated, successful, knowledgeable, resourceful or prestigious, but that doesn't always correlate with intelligence. Genius level intelligence is rare.

It comes from ignorance. For whatever reason, MBTI has turned into a hierarchy system, ranking types from most intelligent, most creative, most likeable, most annoying, and it always stems from ignorance or wanting to feel "superior". Ignore them, or prove them wrong. Those who matter don't mind.

For the record, Roary from Gilmore Girls is commonly mistyped as INFJ due to her intelligence, lol. I can't really relate to Roary (stick up her ass imo), but she's a brainy ISFJ if it makes you feel any better (too bad it's only a fictional account).

·
Registered
548 Posts
It's not the thinking/feeling aspect that makes the ESFJs stupid. It's the Sensing/Intuition and the Judging/Percieving. All SJs would be stupid. SPs slighty less. NJs are rather smart and NPs are smart.
Though I don't have much use for rather hasty generalizations, I would have to say this is assessment is somewhat truthful according to the real-world implications of the MBTI (theory) and various conducted studies (evidence). *Shrug*

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I don't assume anyone is stupid. I let their actions decide that for me. :)
I honestly don't see why ESFJs are put into a negative light at all, since my grandmother (an ESFJ) is a wonderful person who is kind, helpful, smart and charitable. If she is anything to go by, ESFJs might just be one of my favourite types.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Well, for obvious reasons.

Intelligence is defined rather narrowly in modern Western culture. Intelligence is seen as things like
1. Strong interest in learning
2. Very knowledgeable about current events and "important" (according to "intelligent" society) topics--e.g. politics, psychology, certain historical topics, world news--especially anything having to do with global political leaders.
3. A knack for mathematical subjects such as math, physics, chemistry, . . . is considered intelligent.
4. Very well-read in the "classic" literary works. . . anything from the Brontës, Shakespeare, Austen, . . . you get the picture.
5. Knowing a lot about philosophy, philosophers, philosophical ideas. (super Ti heavy)
6. Any knowledge in quantum mechanics can only help you.
7. Hardcore big-picture interests about things such as the origin of the universe, theoretical physics.
8. Really anything at all having to do with physics is the answer to being considered intelligent.

So you can see why a Ti inferior is often not considered intelligent in modern Western society.

Si is actually quite looked-down-upon when it comes to considering who is intelligent and who is not. I'm not just talking about on PersonalityCafe, but in general Western society--those who do not like to concern themselves with topics that have no effect on their everyday lives are usually considered quite simple-minded.

I guess it depends on whom you ask, though. On the internet especially you will see this viewpoint very regularly. But I suppose the internet is dominated by the 25%.

Also, it is a common viewpoint on and off the internet that Fe is considered to be a detriment to someone's appearance of intelligence. Caring about others too much--especially their opinions and happiness and well-being--is usually considered shallow or fake.

And really, the general trend I'm seeing just from thinking about this and answering this question, is that common Ti traits/characteristics are the very definition of intelligence in modern Western culture.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
No way, all of the ESFJs I know are actually quite smart, efficient and organized.
I've known dumb ESFJ's. I've also met intelligent ones. Just like how I've met brilliant ESPs and stereotypical, Beavis and Butthead esque ESPs

People are really black and white when it comes to type lol

·
Banned
692 Posts
Well, for obvious reasons.
Si is actually quite looked-down-upon when it comes to considering who is intelligent and who is not. I'm not just talking about on PersonalityCafe, but in general Western society--those who do not like to concern themselves with topics that have no effect on their everyday lives are usually considered quite simple-minded.
But Si isn't just routines and sticking to what you know. It's also about being incredibly observant about the world around you.

I've been thinking a lot about how I use Si, and to me, Si is always trying to figure out how the world works. It's recognizing that there are certain principles and natural laws that guide existence, and trying to figure out what those are by careful observation. It's paying close attention to what has worked before, what seems to work now, and what tends to produce good results. And if you're really inquisitive, it's also trying to figure out why that is (but that might be because for me I'm also Ti-heavy, at least for an ESFJ anyway). That's why Si-users seem so rules-conscious - because we've seen that these rules work and will likely produce a good outcome if followed. But there are plenty of Si-users who don't care to blindly follow rules, or routines either.

I used to think there was no place for Si in academia or intellectual circles, but that was before I realized that my definition of Si was so, so limiting. It makes me astute, and also makes me want to delve deeper into concepts and theories. I can never just accept that a=b or x leads to y. I need to know exactly how that works; what are the principles governing these observations? It's kind of like a puzzle: once I grasp the big picture, I dismantle it and stare at each piece individually until I understand it and how it fits perfectly within the rest of the puzzle. And isn't that really what intelligence is, and what academia is all about?

You're right, Si is looked down upon, because we limit it unnecessarily, but I don't think it's fair to say that Si-users are naturally those "who do not like to concern themselves with topics that have no effect on their everyday lives". Those are just close-minded people. And maybe a disproportionate amount of them are Si-users (or maybe not, because I think there's also a tendency to label those who are just the slightest bit inquisitive or curious as Ne or Ni and vice versa). But I'd say that's similar to how you could make the (otherwise faulty) statement that a disproportionate amount of unsympathetic people are thinkers. It's not because thinkers are naturally unsympathetic, but if you're Te or Ti heavy there might be more of a tendency for you to focus more on the object than the person, but that doesn't mean you can't be sympathetic and kind.

241 - 260 of 321 Posts