Personality Cafe banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
OP you should read the book Hold Me Tight. It talks about how even though society has taught (in the West, especially men) to be stoic and not talk about needing emotional connection, that we all need it. That actually it is an evolutionarily evolved part of our DNA that is actually a survival mechanism. We first saw it as attachment theory just in children, but now believe it also exists in adults and partnerships.

·
Premium Member
Male INFJ 5w4 (Sx/Sp)
197 Posts
I agree with lots of men in that masculinity is extremely important, primarily for pulling society in the right direction. But masculinity isn't just dedicating you entire self-worth on women, or trying to prove how "tough" you are. True masculinity is being comfortable in your own skin, and being confident in yourself to make the right decisions. Being emotional has nothing to do with it.

A man being emotional is not anti-masculine in of itself, which is where I find most men get it wrong. It is not that simple.I would only draw the argument that there is a time and a place for it. Being a mature individual (not just a masculine one) comes part-in-parcel with knowing that difference.

What truly kills masculinity in my opinion is insecurity, not simply being emotional. Lots of the guys who belittle you are people who are extremely insecure with their place in the world, and have to assert themselves wherever they can. Even if that means shutting other people down to make themselves look better. That isn't maculinity, that is insecurity.

Try not to pay attention to them. Be confident with who you are.

·
Registered
532 Posts
In this quick fix, "throw out and get a new one" impatient world, judgments will be made. It's up to all of us to stand up for what we believe no matter what people say.

Reactions: Ock
21 - 25 of 25 Posts