Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending a couple months researching INTPs and INTP traits almost exclusively, lately I've been going more in depth with all the other types and specifically cognitive functions. I seem to have a pretty firm grip on most of the functions and the letters (I guess that's what you call them? Example: I vs E).

One thing that seems to baffle me though is the overwhelming barrier I seem to read about between S and N types. I understand that sensors live in the now and intuitives think of what could be, but isn't there more to it than that? I see a lot of intuitives saying that all of their friends are N's and they simply can't relate to S types. Why is this? Of all the other differences like I/E, T/F or P/J, sensors and intuitives seem to have the least understanding between each other. Is there a specific reason for this? It can't be as simple as one living in the now and one predicting/reflecting, can it?

Can you guys shed some light on this with certain experiences? I mean both of my parents are S types and we don't really get along (ISFJ mom, ESTJ dad) and there is definitely a "wall" of some sort but I'm not sure if it's specifically that.

·
Registered
938 Posts
SJs (Si) or SPs (Se)?
Edit: sorry, just read everything you wrote. I was lazy.
You seem to not favor strong Si types then?
They have a completely different insight than us. They focus on laws, tradition, and history. We Ne, tend to flow on ideas, new insights, and open mindedness.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Found this site that may help show the difference, it's quite a BIG difference.Introverted Sensing (Si)
Extraverted iNtuiting (Ne)
My mom is the ESTJ and my dad is an IXXJ... I think.
I seem to see the world differently than my parents, I also have different goals, and completely different values and principles. We fight a lot. I do not live with them, I much rather live in my car for the rest of my life. They live by law, I live by a code/principle. They do not ask questions, I question everything. They follow tradition and submit to authority, I question tradition and do not submit to authority or see the value for it in my life. As you can see, it's hard to relate.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
After spending a couple months researching INTPs and INTP traits almost exclusively, lately I've been going more in depth with all the other types and specifically cognitive functions. I seem to have a pretty firm grip on most of the functions and the letters (I guess that's what you call them? Example: I vs E).

One thing that seems to baffle me though is the overwhelming barrier I seem to read about between S and N types. I understand that sensors live in the now and intuitives think of what could be, but isn't there more to it than that? I see a lot of intuitives saying that all of their friends are N's and they simply can't relate to S types. Why is this? Of all the other differences like I/E, T/F or P/J, sensors and intuitives seem to have the least understanding between each other. Is there a specific reason for this? It can't be as simple as one living in the now and one predicting/reflecting, can it?

Can you guys shed some light on this with certain experiences? I mean both of my parents are S types and we don't really get along (ISFJ mom, ESTJ dad) and there is definitely a "wall" of some sort but I'm not sure if it's specifically that.
I used to believe this too. Then I was surprised to find several of my closest friends were Se types.

Maybe it's harder with SJs, because their Si resists our Ne insights.
I also seem to clash with Ni quite a bit.

I get along best with Ne and Se types.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Isn't it because it is a complete mismatch in what is considered important(perceptually)?

Imagine you love blue. Blue is what you're after in life.

But your friend loves apples. Apples is what matter in life to him.

You're not going to agree on much. Your friend will adore apple trees, but you'll think that's a ludicrous notion as they contain absolutely no blue.

You will love the sky, but your friend will think you're being silly, and point out the disturbing lack of apples in the sky.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I guess that as intuitives we want to talk about ideas and sensors want to talk more about facts alone.

I find that facts are very boring unless they come to support an idea.

And sensors might find that ideas alone are uninteresting unless it's something they can see in reality.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
I guess that as intuitives we want to talk about ideas and sensors want to talk more about facts alone.

I find that facts are very boring unless they come to support an idea.

And sensors might find that ideas alone are uninteresting unless it's something they can see in reality.
That's not how it works. I'm interested in ideas that I can make happen. I'm interested in ideas like active transportation and livable communities. I wasn't interested in ideas for creating a theoretical town that lived up to ideals. I am very much interested in how to make existing towns and cities accommodate active transportation and livable communities. Those ideas fascinate me. I'm not interested in guessing where technology will be 100 years from now. I am very interested in whether we could colonize space stations and Mars. How soon could we do it and what technology would be required and how would we pay for it?

Sensors are very interested in ideas and we have interest in theory. But how are you framing the question?

Reactions: slyspy

·
Registered
309 Posts
That's not how it works. I'm interested in ideas that I can make happen. I'm interested in ideas like active transportation and livable communities. I wasn't interested in ideas for creating a theoretical town that lived up to ideals. I am very much interested in how to make existing towns and cities accommodate active transportation and livable communities. Those ideas fascinate me. I'm not interested in guessing where technology will be 100 years from now. I am very interested in whether we could colonize space stations and Mars. How soon could we do it and what technology would be required and how would we pay for it?
You explained exactly what I wanted to say, I just expressed myself badly. But the interest of an intuitive for ideas is different, I don't know how to explain it now but we can read the MBTI theory for that anywhere.

But how are you framing the question?
I think that's the cause of the "barrier", the contrast of interests.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
You explained exactly what I wanted to say, I just expressed myself badly. But the interest of an intuitive for ideas is different, I don't know how to explain it now but we can read the MBTI theory for that anywhere.

I think that's the cause of the "barrier", the contrast of interests.
I think you and Monemi bring up the crux of the misunderstanding for me. If sensors can like theory, but they only like them when they are actually doing something, then what are INTJs and ENTPs for? What are intuitives for? This is likely a limited way of seeing it, but I have trouble saying that a smart sensor is not better adapted for the world than a smart intuitive is. It seems that what is suggested is that intuitive like ideas for their own sake... but how in the hell would they expect support from the people who actually make things happen?

If we live in a world that wants everything spilled out in sensor fashion to the point where you can't do anything unless it's completely justified every step of the way, what is the point of the intuitive who knows the answer but can't relate it to you in a way that matters to the people that actually make things happen?

I'm liking the symmetry of the ending of the paragraphs there haha.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In reality though there's such a small gap in between them. Most people fall within the normal range for S-N deviation from the mean. I love people of both types, and being only marginally S over N I can easily identify and communicate with people from both lands.

If you want some sort of practical answer, the problem is the difference in the way each preference communicates. N likes to use metaphor while engaging the interlocutor's own intelligence. They often see talking as a little interaction between two computers, and they love to plunder around on the other computer to see what kind of goodies they have. S communicates in concrete terms of being, not-being, will and intent. The topic at hand should be explored, not each other's whole mind. That is given through trust, it's not a right of communication.

Reactions: monemi

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,339 Posts
I don't find that there is a big barrier there but maybe that's because I've spent a good amount of time with a sensor, plus it depends on the type of sensor.

I think what you'd least relate to is more dependent on what is most opposite your strongest traits and exposure.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
I think you and Monemi bring up the crux of the misunderstanding for me. If sensors can like theory, but they only like them when they are actually doing something, then what are INTJs and ENTPs for? What are intuitives for? This is likely a limited way of seeing it, but I have trouble saying that a smart sensor is not better adapted for the world than a smart intuitive is. It seems that what is suggested is that intuitive like ideas for their own sake... but how in the hell would they expect support from the people who actually make things happen?

If we live in a world that wants everything spilled out in sensor fashion to the point where you can't do anything unless it's completely justified every step of the way, what is the point of the intuitive who knows the answer but can't relate it to you in a way that matters to the people that actually make things happen?

I'm liking the symmetry of the ending of the paragraphs there haha.
I don't get along with INFP's very well. I like them. I like their ideals/ideas, but arguments usually come up when I look at their ideals when they present them as a solution. I like their ideal, but after looking at the ideal; and presenting the ideal to others for possible ways to make it work, it doesn't. I have to tell them: this wouldn't work. That's when the clash happens. (If the ideal is possible, there isn't a clash. It's just the INFP's seem to be the type that most frequently present their ideas.) I can make things happen. I'm happy to look at ideas that have been presented to me. I'm open minded. I might tease a little, but I don't just write off new ideas. I research them, make sense of them and consider how to make this work.

Some ideas can be utilized. Some ideas can't. When I can find a way to get it done, in the past, I've prepared a pitch, found backers and pitched it to them. I enjoy doing this. I enjoy new ideas and that moment when I realize that it's actually doable. I don't get much recognition out of it, but hey, it's made me bonuses, pay raises, promotions and commission. I've got nothing to cry about.

If intuitives want to see their ideas get somewhere, I suggest they bring them to Se-doms. The answer 'no' is the opening for negotiations. People skills, love to try new things, lack shame and have perseverance. But that's just my opinion.

Reactions: Ista

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts

I get along with pretty much everyone. It may be more awkward with some, but we still make it work and admire each other for strengths and weaknesses. I think it's because I grew up in a family of a very wide array of disparate personality traits. Miraculously, opposites got along. Easily. It was... Odd, for a newcomer to see. (Stepmom)

The only differences are the ones we perceive to be there.

Every individual is different in the sea of humanity. Each perspective is looking a different way.

Take a bunch of people being witness to a murder. They will all make perception mistakes. Intuitive, or not, they all see a different way.

If you give people enough time, they will surprise you.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I don't get along with INFP's very well. I like them. I like their ideals/ideas, but arguments usually come up when I look at their ideals when they present them as a solution. I like their ideal, but after looking at the ideal; and presenting the ideal to others for possible ways to make it work, it doesn't. I have to tell them: this wouldn't work. That's when the clash happens. (If the ideal is possible, there isn't a clash. It's just the INFP's seem to be the type that most frequently present their ideas.) I can make things happen. I'm happy to look at ideas that have been presented to me. I'm open minded. I might tease a little, but I don't just write off new ideas. I research them, make sense of them and consider how to make this work.

Some ideas can be utilized. Some ideas can't. When I can find a way to get it done, in the past, I've prepared a pitch, found backers and pitched it to them. I enjoy doing this. I enjoy new ideas and that moment when I realize that it's actually doable. I don't get much recognition out of it, but hey, it's made me bonuses, pay raises, promotions and commission. I've got nothing to cry about.

If intuitives want to see their ideas get somewhere, I suggest they bring them to Se-doms. The answer 'no' is the opening for negotiations. People skills, love to try new things, lack shame and have perseverance. But that's just my opinion.
Ohhhh... so what you're saying is that you're typically not one to generate the ideas, but you're happy to consider them and you like lapping them up in order to actualize more things in your environment. Ok, that makes sense.

I get a little intimidated by the rejection of my ideas, but I know if I dig deeper I can convince both myself and the other person that I'm not just full of shit hahaha

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Ohhhh... so what you're saying is that you're typically not one to generate the ideas, but you're happy to consider them and you like lapping them up in order to actualize more things in your environment. Ok, that makes sense.

I get a little intimidated by the rejection of my ideas, but I know if I dig deeper I can convince both myself and the other person that I'm not just full of shit hahaha
Yeah, typically when I'm sitting there thinking, I'm thinking about doing stuff. Fun stuff I want to do. Things that stand in the way of me doing the fun stuff I want to do. How to maneuver around these obstacles/people. Or I'm thinking about stuff I've done, what went wrong and how I could approach it better next time. Typically, the ideas I come up with are awesome but are improvisational. Quick and dirty solutions. I'm resourceful and creative when put on the spot.

Does that make sense? I like ideas and I like talking about ideas. Otherwise, why would any sensor ever be on here? It's just ideas take on more of a purposeful role for me. Philosophy has some basic purpose, so it is worth understanding and reading. But a good chunk of it doesn't have a purpose, so there's only so much time I'm going to devote to it. KWIM?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Yeah, typically when I'm sitting there thinking, I'm thinking about doing stuff. Fun stuff I want to do. Things that stand in the way of me doing the fun stuff I want to do. How to maneuver around these obstacles/people. Or I'm thinking about stuff I've done, what went wrong and how I could approach it better next time. Typically, the ideas I come up with are awesome but are improvisational. Quick and dirty solutions. I'm resourceful and creative when put on the spot.

Does that make sense? I like ideas and I like talking about ideas. Otherwise, why would any sensor ever be on here? It's just ideas take on more of a purposeful role for me. Philosophy has some basic purpose, so it is worth understanding and reading. But a good chunk of it doesn't have a purpose, so there's only so much time I'm going to devote to it. KWIM?
I do know what you mean. This draws a parallel to trickle down economics. What that says about the subject, I can't tell yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts