Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get any further and launch into a rambling description of my thoughts, let me preface this by saying that I’m currently an adolescent. I know there’s a lot I have to experience and I know I have a lot of growing up to do; I’m just looking to understand how I can best work with who I am — my innate tendencies, processes, preferences — as I develop.

I have trouble prioritizing in the sense that once I get involved with something, I get carried away. When I start investing in a friendship, I put so much into it as soon as I sense potential — I’m constantly messaging the other person and I can’t get them out of my mind. My interactions with people are two-fold; one facet is my actual interaction with the other person, and the other is the internal analysis and imagining that never seems to cease. (When I’m romantically interested in someone, as I am now, that’s even more mentally consuming. Maybe that’s why I’m feeling so melancholy.)

So, a recent experience that got me thinking. This week and next week are AP exam weeks — major tests that, as an academically driven person, I’m determined to do well on. I wanted to ask a friend for advice on an unrelated topic, and so I asked her if she was free to talk — she responded no, not until her test was over in several days. In the same situation, I wouldn’t have responded as she did; I wouldn’t have been able to resist talking to the other person partially for my own fulfillment and partially so as to not frustrate them.

I’ve also been thinking and talking to adults in my life about growing up — what does it mean to be independent, to be mature, and the like? One thing that keeps on coming up is the concept of a strong sense of self — a willingness to swim against the current. Let me bring in my developing knowledge of cognitive functions here — I feel as though my Fi is really, really lacking. I do feel as though I use my Fe extensively; I am cognizant of relationships and dynamics and I do adapt to fill whatever role I feel I should in a situation (not to say I feel that I fit in…that doesn’t happen often). That wasn’t said as articulately as I wanted it to be.

I’m afraid that as I move into the next stages of my life — and even now — I won’t be able to maintain a strong work ethic because I’ll always be sidetracked, I’ll always be carried away. I’m afraid I won’t be able to make much of my life because I’ll always be combating my natural urges and inclinations and coming out on the losing side. I don’t mean to overdramatize a single interaction — I’ve been thinking of asking for advice for a while now, and, well, here I am.

Another thing I've been pondering lately is my lack of strong opinions — having recently made a friend with very, very conservative views, I wondered why I didn't hold similarly strong views. We started talking about abortion and, having heard his thoughts, I started asking questions and tried to probe into his thought process — and realized that that's what I always do. But in that same conversation, I decided to challenge myself and express my opinions without all of that questioning. It was so, so challenging but actually very rewarding haha. I don't know if this is any bit useful but I felt like sharing.

Let’s see if I can concisely package this into a few key questions. I never know how to respond to rambling without rambling myself, lol —

1. How can I get more in tune with who I am and, I guess, develop a backbone? Am I indeed describing a quandary relevant to Fi?
2. Am I normal / a normal INFJ? Silly question but that's the essential fear underlying all of this! What I'm pondering, is this something everyone goes through and figures out? Is there a way for me to consciously get better at what I'm struggling with -- how can I apply MBTI's insights to guide me?
3. Any other thoughts? Criticisms, connections, follow-up questions, anything, really.

Thank you so much for your time and insight! :smile:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
So, a recent experience that got me thinking. This week and next week are AP exam weeks — major tests that, as an academically driven person, I’m determined to do well on. I wanted to ask a friend for advice on an unrelated topic, and so I asked her if she was free to talk — she responded no, not until her test was over in several days. In the same situation, I wouldn’t have responded as she did; I wouldn’t have been able to resist talking to the other person partially for my own fulfillment and partially so as to not frustrate them.
That sounds a lot like me... If I like someone, I can't resist the opportunity to talk to them, doesn't matter what about...

I’m afraid that as I move into the next stages of my life — and even now — I won’t be able to maintain a strong work ethic because I’ll always be sidetracked, I’ll always be carried away. I’m afraid I won’t be able to make much of my life because I’ll always be combating my natural urges and inclinations and coming out on the losing side. I don’t mean to overdramatize a single interaction — I’ve been thinking of asking for advice for a while now, and, well, here I am.
Sounds like you just have to find the right career!

Another thing I've been pondering lately is my lack of strong opinions — having recently made a friend with very, very conservative views, I wondered why I didn't hold similarly strong views. We started talking about abortion and, having heard his thoughts, I started asking questions and tried to probe into his thought process — and realized that that's what I always do. But in that same conversation, I decided to challenge myself and express my opinions without all of that questioning. It was so, so challenging but actually very rewarding haha. I don't know if this is any bit useful but I felt like sharing.
I don't think you have to worry about not having strong opinions.... we live in a time when everyone seems to have strong opinions and because of the internet, national media, etc, everyone gets opinions about things that really don't have much to do with their lives in any way. For example, everyone has to have an opinion on gay marriage, abortion, death penalty, etc... but most people have never had a gay marriage, never had an abortion, never had anything to do with the death penalty...
Also, everyone feels like they have to have an opinion unless they're being ignorant or something. But sometimes you just don't have an opinion because you just don't know, and that's perfectly okay. Actually, it's more than okay... its better to admit you're not sure, or you don't have enough information, than to just make up an opinion just for the sake of having an opinion.
Over time, you may have real opinions that develop naturally. They emerge as you grow and take in more and more of the world.

1. How can I get more in tune with who I am and, I guess, develop a backbone? Am I indeed describing a quandary relevant to Fi?
One thing I've personally come to know about myself, about being an INFJ, is that I'm obsessed with personal transformation and growth. I've always been stuck on the idea of becoming myself, becoming who I'm meant to be. That, in and of itself, is something that defines my personality. It really seems like that's what you're doing here...
1. thinking there's something wrong with you that has to be changed 2. worrying a lot about your identity, who you're supposed to be 3. identifying what you want yourself to become (wanting more Fi etc.) 4. wondering how to get there
If you're like me, that process in and of itself is who you are. That constant seeking for transformation. But also, remember that who you are is fine; there really is nothing wrong with you. All personalities have their advantages and disadvantages. You don't have use more Fi, use less Fe, etc. You don't have to "develop a backbone" as if its some requirement of growing up or whatever; only do it if you really want to. You have a unique way of interacting with people and its a gift.

2. Am I normal / a normal INFJ?
Who cares? Who you are informs what it means to be INFJ - not the other way around. You are the real person, after all. If you meet the basic requirements for being INFJ, then whatever you are is an equally valid way of being INFJ.

What I'm pondering, is this something everyone goes through and figures out?
Whatever you mean by "this", the answer is probably yes :p

Is there a way for me to consciously get better at what I'm struggling with -- how can I apply MBTI's insights to guide me?
Never stop trying to figure yourself out-- you'll get answers eventually. :)

Your avatar is THEBEST :laughing:

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,466 Posts
Hi, I enjoyed your little ramble :) It sounds like your thoughts about your current relationships are causing you stress. I can relate to how you think about things in that regard. I'm not sure how much of that can be addressed with the people you're talking with and how much you'll have to learn how to self-soothe a bit. I agree with charlie.elliot though - there's nothing wrong with you. So I'm not trying to imply that.

I think it's great that you're so interested in growing and understanding yourself. I think sometimes we get so caught up in growing though, that we forget to enjoy the journey - yes, even the pain that might come along the way. Embrace it as a sort of learning experience. Everything you experience will help you in some way - no matter how painful. That's the lens I try to look at things through anyway. Mind you, I'm no master at life or anything :p Woops, I'm starting to ramble too now ;)

I'll address the first part first. I'd say the more you experience and tap into what your gifts and passions are, the more you will get in tune with yourself and the more you get in tune with yourself, the more you'll naturally become confident in yourself and your own abilities. Obviously there's many different and specific ways I could list but at the end of the day, you know deep down for yourself what things are best for you - or you have yet to discover them through exploration. Follow your intuition.

On the subject of developing a backbone, first I'll just say that I feel it's pointless to swim against the current just for the sake of swimming against the current. I guess that would be considered rebellion in a way. However, if you're interested in doing that for self-growth reasons, that's another story. It's about your intention. Everyone has their own unique way of maturing.

My personal belief is that independence is overrated. Now, autonomy is a need but I think it's more important to cultivate interdependence since we all have a deep need for human connection. Ironically, once you get those needs for connection met (in healthy ways), it usually helps you develop more confidence in yourself to be autonomous. We'll always need other people. Sure, there are always needs that we can meet ourselves but there are other needs that we have that can't be met by anyone else but other people who are able to fulfill those needs. The thing is, everyone has differing needs. So find compatible people. I'd say don't just turn to one friend to fulfill all your needs for connection either unless that in itself is a desire and a need of yours.

With the whole opinion thing, I actually think you're headed in the right direction there if you find your experimentation rewarding. I think it's great that you ask people questions too in order to understand their thought process. That's wonderful.

2. Am I normal / a normal INFJ? Silly question but that's the essential fear underlying all of this!
Being normal is overrated ;)
What I'm pondering, is this something everyone goes through and figures out?
Personally, I think you're way ahead of the pack if you show as much humility as you do now when it comes to questioning yourself and everything else. I was a self-righteous little know-it-all when I was a teen myself.

Is there a way for me to consciously get better at what I'm struggling with --
Keep doing what you're doing. Never stop questioning. Continue to explore and expand. I'm sure others here will provide more insights for you than I have.

how can I apply MBTI's insights to guide me?
I'm actually going to say that while it's a helpful tool, it's made for us, not us for it. I think it's helpful up to a certain point but don't let it limit you. At a certain point, I find it too limiting to view things just through the lens of MBTI - even when it comes to self-growth. But really, don't take my word for it. Do what you feel is best for you.

3. Any other thoughts? Criticisms, connections, follow-up questions, anything, really.
Thanks for sharing with us :)

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
You ever notice how important it is for some people to have a sense of identity? They want to nail it down, to have a foundation of sorts, something really concrete. Who can blame them? Without it, they're unsettled and in a state that's akin to falling down a bottomless pit. At a certain point, they'll latch on to just about anything so let's give them something. Try this MBTI test... *BAM* you're now an INFJ! Here are a list of careers suited for you, this is why people don't always understand you, this is why you care or love too much, these are your strengths/weaknesses, this is the type you're most compatible with, and do you remember that time when you predicted the red light was going to turn green? Total INFJ trait. This is highly comforting to a lot of people and some will go as as taking all these preconceived notions of what an INFJ is and subconsciously shift themselves to be more like it. They're INFJ loud and proud, they have the ball cap, the keychain, the psychic powers and all that. MBTI, in this example, is just a placeholder and is interchangeable with other identifiers, but ask yourself what sort of problems can arise from holding on such things so tightly? How susceptible are you to them? It's not all good... it's not all bad either -- just try to be cautious.

For me, I try to accept that change and growth is constant. To some degree, I find it exciting to be completely wrong about something and the opportunities that doing so would present. I place a lot of value in being flexible and well-rounded, so that propels me to take advantage of our naturally curious/obsessive minds and really explore. That's not for everyone and I respect those who value a bit more certainty, security, and familiarity.

We all find ways to rationalize our thoughts and behavior. I told you already I love to be wrong and I really subscribe to this idea that I either win or I learn. We're all here for personal growth and I hope you that you can embrace that yourself in every opportunity that presents itself. Sometimes it'll hurt, but if you're also a proud person like myself then it motivates you like nothing else. Also, ask yourself how you can make use of this natural urges or inclinations how can you outsmart yourself and make it work for you rather than against.

In a way, I was actually comforted reading this. You ever heard the saying that the smartest person in the classroom is the teacher? If you have, you're a liar because I just made it up. In any case, the reason why it's the teacher is because they're the ones who really ask the questions. It is far more difficult to come up with a good question than it is to come up with an answer. This dates back to the story of Socrates and why he was considered the wisest man of them all -- if you don't know why, research it.

Another important point I want to chime in about all this is that some people think they are married to their opinions. Not only are you allowed to take a stance and change your mind later, but you're also able to have slight leanings towards a view without believing it with absolute certainty.

----------

In any case, I've rambled enough. Good luck with your AP exams.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
" We started talking about abortion and, having heard his thoughts, I started asking questions and tried to probe into his thought process — and realized that that's what I always do. But in that same conversation, I decided to challenge myself and express my opinions without all of that questioning."

Both sides of that are valuable - probing then challenging yourself to take your own thought process as is

I think don't lose either side of that process, because dissociating your sense of self from that probing is not good if that is part of how you naturally think

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
First of all, thank you for sharing! As another adolescent INFJ, it sounds as though I'm going through a lot of the same things you are, that you wrote about. It always makes me happy to see I'm not alone:). This being the case, however, I naturally won't be able to offer much advice as I am asking a lot of the same questions! So thank you everyone else, as well, so many great insights!

Reactions: Vivid Melody
9,999 Posts
You're very young, but you could still look into possibly being an Enneagram 9. Seeing multiple POVs easily but struggling to see your own is natural 9 territory, not having strong opinions likewise. 9s are basically laid-back and accommodating to a fault. 9s are also more likely than any other Enneagram type to not be able to type themselves since they don't have a very solid sense of self. They tend to see bits and pieces of many other types in themselves instead.

You could say that where most humans tend to push their ego to the forefront and need to learn not to do it in order to mature, 9s do the opposite - they try to hide their ego and need to learn not to do it in order to mature.

Could also be any number of other scenarios, obviously.

If you do feel you are a 9, I personally (as a 9) feel that these are some really, really good growth suggestions. Especially the 30 points from No More Mr. Nice Guy.

·
нånD gяênåDê
3,421 Posts
If you're a J, your Fi is unconscious. It'll be hard to gauge your own values about things in terms of self-identity because all of your introverted rational functions occur unconsciously.

CONSCIOUS FUNCTIONS IN J TYPES:
UNCONSCIOUS FUNCTIONS IN J TYPES.

Notice in all instances below, both Fi and Ti are unconscious in all MBTI J's.

NFJ
= Fe-Ni-Se-Ti + Ne-Fi-Te-Si
--OR--
Ni-Fe-Ti-Se + Fi-Ne-Si-Te

SFJ
= Fe-Si-Ne-Ti + Se-Fi-Te-Ni
--OR--
Si-Fe-Ti-Ne + Fi-Se-Ni-Te

NTJ
= Te-Ni-Se-Fi + Ne-Ti-Fe-Si
--OR--
Ni-Te-Fi-Se + Ti-Ne-Si-Fe

STJ
= Te-Si-Ne-Fi + Se-Ti-Fe-Ni
--OR--
Si-Te-Fi-Ne + Ti-Se-Ni-Fe

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

If you're a J, your Fi is unconscious. It'll be hard to gauge your own values about things in terms of self-identity because all of your introverted rational functions occur unconsciously.

CONSCIOUS FUNCTIONS IN J TYPES:
UNCONSCIOUS FUNCTIONS IN J TYPES.

Notice in all instances below, both Fi and Ti are unconscious in all MBTI J's.

NFJ
= Fe-Ni-Se-Ti + Ne-Fi-Te-Si
--OR--
Ni-Fe-Ti-Se + Fi-Ne-Si-Te

SFJ
= Fe-Si-Ne-Ti + Se-Fi-Te-Ni
--OR--
Si-Fe-Ti-Ne + Fi-Se-Ni-Te

NTJ
= Te-Ni-Se-Fi + Ne-Ti-Fe-Si
--OR--
Ni-Te-Fi-Se + Ti-Ne-Si-Fe

STJ
= Te-Si-Ne-Fi + Se-Ti-Fe-Ni
--OR--
Si-Te-Fi-Ne + Ti-Se-Ni-Fe

What's your source for this, mi goode friend? You got me curious.

·
Registered
281 Posts
What's your source for this, mi goode friend? You got me curious.
From the looks of it he's getting it from Socionics Model A. Socionics Model A
If you compare it to the order in which the functions are for IEI: Socionics Types: IEI-INFp (The MBTI INFJ), they match with what Kerik_S posted. I actually was about to comment on Kerik's post right before you did, because I think it explains a big part of how all functions in each type are used, but some more often than others because of the type's attidude towards each individual function. It explains why Ne, Fi, Te and Si are the INFJ's bottom 4 functions as shown in MBTI. They are the least valued functions. Ti and Se are weak, but are valued by INFJ's, which is why they can sometimes admire people who are more developed in these functions.

I know mixing in Socionics and MBTI is tricky, but I can see how some pieces of the systems align and can complement each other.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
From the looks of it he's getting it from Socionics Model A. Socionics Model A
If you compare it to the order in which the functions are for IEI: Socionics Types: IEI-INFp (The MBTI INFJ), they match with what Kerik_S posted. I actually was about to comment on Kerik's post right before you did, because I think it explains a big part of how all functions in each type are used, but some more often than others because of the type's attidude towards each individual function. It explains why Ne, Fi, Te and Si are the INFJ's bottom 4 functions as shown in MBTI. They are the least valued functions. Ti and Se are weak, but are valued by INFJ's, which is why they can sometimes admire people who are more developed in these functions.

I know mixing in Socionics and MBTI is tricky, but I can see how some pieces of the systems align and can complement each other.
What's "unconscious" supposed to mean in this, then? I'm pretty sure I'm "conscious" of using Ti - at least it seems to occupy my thoughts pretty effectively. I could be misinterpreting the term "conscious".

Edit: Oh wow these make so much sense!

·
Registered
281 Posts
What's "unconscious" supposed to mean in this, then? I'm pretty sure I'm "conscious" of using Ti - at least it seems to occupy my thoughts pretty effectively. I could be misinterpreting the term "conscious".

Edit: Oh wow these make so much sense!
I'm still trying to grasp the exact meaning of the word "conscious" in that as well, to be honest. Some of it makes sense though. For example, that Ni and Fe are mainly used by INFJ's to navigate the world, but these functions are 'fed' and 'supported' by Ti and Se to make better decisions and more accurately process information. They normally take more of a back seat in favor of the top two functions. Maybe @Kerik_S can give some more explanation to his post, so we can get a better perspective?

What makes sense btw? :)

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I'm still trying to grasp the exact meaning of the word "conscious" in that as well, to be honest. Some of it makes sense though. For example, that Ni and Fe are mainly used by INFJ's to navigate the world, but these functions are 'fed' and 'supported' by Ti and Se to make better decisions and more accurately process information. They normally take more of a back seat in favor of the top two functions. Maybe @Kerik_S can give some more explanation to his post, so we can get a better perspective?

What makes sense btw? :)
I went through Model A and it resonated with how I tend to use all the eight functions rather well. Still a lot to figure out about it all, though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yikes, finally getting around to responding — sorry it’s taken me so long, I wanted to sit down and really think through your responses.

Hello @charlie.elliot!

In regards to opinions, I feel like a strong opinion is something of a safety blanket; clinging onto some opinion allows for a sense of security — an anchor of sorts. Perhaps that’s only true for me, but I’m slowly but surely moving away from that overwhelming desire to have opinions. I’m starting to recognize that I have and am entitled to my own, unique perspective; without strong opinions, it’s not as if some fundamental issue lies at the core of my intellectual identity.

One thing I've personally come to know about myself, about being an INFJ, is that I'm obsessed with personal transformation and growth. I've always been stuck on the idea of becoming myself, becoming who I'm meant to be. That, in and of itself, is something that defines my personality. It really seems like that's what you're doing here...
1. thinking there's something wrong with you that has to be changed 2. worrying a lot about your identity, who you're supposed to be 3. identifying what you want yourself to become (wanting more Fi etc.) 4. wondering how to get there

If you're like me, that process in and of itself is who you are. That constant seeking for transformation.

Never stop trying to figure yourself out-- you'll get answers eventually. :)
That sequence of events is so accurate! After an emotionally trying period of time, I love love love looking back and thinking — so that was my mindset back then, this is how all of that stress and over analysis has molded me into this ever so slightly different person… Transformation is such a satisfying process as you look back at it — knowing that you have it in you to change.

And haha thank you, I could launch into some symbolic explanation of what my avatar represents but I’ll leave that ramble for another time. Unrelated, but I enjoy symbolism.

--

Hiya, @Vivid Melody!

My current relationships are absolutely a source of stress and worrying but at the same time I don’t know what I’d do without them! In all honesty I just about had something of a breakdown some time ago — recently, I resolved to branch out and get to know more people. I was relatively successful, but my [often draining] tendency is to put all I have into a friendship once I sense some form of potential. I kid you not, I drew out an entire social map with me at the center so as to chart my social obligations and strengths of relationships.

I think it's great that you're so interested in growing and understanding yourself. I think sometimes we get so caught up in growing though, that we forget to enjoy the journey - yes, even the pain that might come along the way. Embrace it as a sort of learning experience. Everything you experience will help you in some way - no matter how painful. That's the lens I try to look at things through anyway. Mind you, I'm no master at life or anything :p Woops, I'm starting to ramble too now ;)
So true! The pain is all-consuming in the moment — but as it fades, you start to see its formative effects.

My personal belief is that independence is overrated. Now, autonomy is a need but I think it's more important to cultivate interdependence since we all have a deep need for human connection. Ironically, once you get those needs for connection met (in healthy ways), it usually helps you develop more confidence in yourself to be autonomous. We'll always need other people. Sure, there are always needs that we can meet ourselves but there are other needs that we have that can't be met by anyone else but other people who are able to fulfill those needs. The thing is, everyone has differing needs. So find compatible people. I'd say don't just turn to one friend to fulfill all your needs for connection either unless that in itself is a desire and a need of yours.
I can’t express how insightful I find this train of thought — and applicable, and relevant. i’ve started to realize the differences in my needs and those of others, and the above sequence perfectly encapsulates my scattered thoughts.

Thank you so much for your kind words and fascinating thoughts.

Reactions: Vivid Melody

·
Registered
3 Posts
"I’m afraid that as I move into the next stages of my life — and even now — I won’t be able to maintain a strong work ethic because I’ll always be sidetracked, I’ll always be carried away. I’m afraid I won’t be able to make much of my life because I’ll always be combating my natural urges and inclinations and coming out on the losing side"

To respond to this quote, I would say that no one in life will be able to solve your problems, and those who say they can are either naive, mistaken, or have a side agenda. A good relationship is not something that fixes all of your problems, it is instead about not going through life alone. Having someone who you can depend on, and who can support you through all of problems in life, no matter what. Someone who is always their for you. Good relationships should not be a weakness, and should instead make you stronger as a person, Help you go through the challenges in your life, and be someone that you can always come to, and that you trust with your problems.

To give you my honest opinion about maturity, I believe that it does not come with age, it comes with pain, the obstacles you've faced, and the failures you have had. Maturity is the growth that comes from the most painful moments in your life. As for what it is, it is two things for me, the journey of self discovery, and the attempt to prevent future pain. The whole reason that you grow, and learn from things, is to attempt to prevent them from occurring in the future, and this attempt at avoidance is a huge aspect of maturity. Now as for the self discovery aspect, I say this because even those who devote their lives to self discovery, and spirituality, and by the end of their lives, still only know so little about them selves. I don't know if it is possible for one to fully understand themselves, but it instead the decision to go on this journey of self discovery and spirituality, and how serious you are about it that is the second aspect of maturity in my opinion.

Now in my opinion, not having strong opinions about many things in life is actually a very good thing. I have a friend, who ive been friends with since kindergarten (im sure you know someone like this :wink: ). He has extremely strong opinions about pretty much everything in life, and is motivated soley based on those opinions. They are so strong, and his "moral code" is so needed to be upheld, that he disregards his own personal relationships, getting into fights even with his parents, whom he loves more than anyone else in life, because of how strongly he feels about them. They also have caused him to become naive, because of how strongly he sees things. He refuses to see certain things, and open his eyes because of it.

Now on the other hand, having strong view points can be a good thing, not opinions. Having the strong, unbreakable belief that you can make a difference, and that you can influence anything you want in society, change it, and mold it, and have a strong view point of yourself, that is unshakable by others words, or opinions is in my opinion on of the strongest things you can have in life.

Well, those are my thoughts, I know im not as well spoken as you, but my family is extremely poor, and we are currently living on the streets. I had to drop out of middle school after my abuela needed surgery for her back. My family spent all of their money on that, and I was needed for supporting both my single mother, as well as my little brother, and my son Jamal. ( sorry about the life story )

Am am a ENTP, so all of those view points were totally from a narcissistic ENTP's view points (the narcissism is totally justified tho)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts