Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am fairly certain that I am an INTJ. At least that is what fits me the most.

However, I see many INTJs having a need to learn all the time, and I just cannot produce that will. I easily get bored by anything and just spend time at my computer, either playing SC2 or reading forums.

At school, I do good but I am really lazy, never do homework etc. I still get really high grades at theoretical subjects (though I am starting to struggle with the math a bit, not intuitive or just dumb?) without trying.

I don't mind theoretical subjects but I have somewhat of a neutral stance. Rather than wanting to learn, even outside of school, and having some kind of urge to keep getting new information, I just think that theoretical subjects are fun, but I cannot be arsed to spend time learning it on my free time.

How do I know I am an INTJ? Well, ever since I took the test I have read around on the internet and questioned the result. Read different descriptions of all types, and I have come to the conclusion that INTJ fits me the most. I have my "oddities" which the regular INTJ doesn't seem to have but all in all, I think I am one. I have tried to read the cognitive functions, but I can't really seem to put my finger on my thinking process.

I am 16, if that will be of any assistance. Perhaps I haven't developed?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input, would you mind telling me why? As far as I know, INTPs are even more interested in knowing, reading and understanding than INTJs?

INTJs are more about applying a concept to a real life (might that be my problem?) and INTPs just learn anything.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Nice jump to conclusions. I can be quite distracted at times, yet I also have the mental stamina to carry something through if this is really needed. I feel much more INTJ than INTP.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Seems you're an INTP to me. . .
Thank you for your input, would you mind telling me why? As far as I know, INTPs are even more interested in knowing, reading and understanding than INTJs?

INTJs are more about applying a concept to a real life (might that be my problem?) and INTPs just learn anything.
:mellow:

your signature, brah...

:crazy:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've read that INTJs abandon things that don't interest them and only dive into what they find useful or relevant to themselves.

I am very lazy. I only finish what I like or absolutely need, and what I like may change on whatever circumstances. But I am still a sponge non the less and grasp every bit of knowledge I stumble upon.

Also, when I was your age I was an INFJ. After I matured and my brain developed I retook the test and have been an INTJ ever since. Perhaps you haven't settled into yourself yet, or you are taking the test too seriously. We are still all individuals even within our own temperament types. Everyone has some individual quirk that goes against the profiles.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Perhaps it's a matter of not having found the right subject(s) yet. School offers you a variety of (compulsory and therefore not necessarily passion-inspiring) subjects already, but they may not trigger the will to learn more either through the particular variety that's offered or through their possibly unappealing presentation. I know that I am eagerly reading up on stuff now that I wouldn't have touched during my school days (quantum physics comes to mind). Also, there's much more out there than school can hope to offer you. You might just have to stumble across it eventually.

In any case, I wouldn't worry too much about this. If you're not the sponge type you won't be less happy for it (no sense in yearining for what you don't need), and if you do find subjects that trigger the sponge, well, enjoy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm an INTJ, and sometimes I don't want to learn. In particular, I can be wary of learning new things or trying to develop a new skill. As an INTJ, I have a very high drive to be competent. I set my standards incredibly high for myself. When a person starts out learning something new, they are a beginner, not competent, and not skilled--yet. Sometimes I have to kick myself to get past that initial hesitation and, yes, fear of failure, to get myself to start working and learning. And once I do, of course, I push myself to competence rapidly by demanding it with a stick, and I've got it mastered in no time.

I'm not sure if that's what your getting at or if that's useful at all, but it's something I've noticed about myself when it comes to anyway, and I am very sure I'm an INTJ.

When I was a teen, I never studied, never read the text books, but finished homework rapidly and easily, and got high grades. I spent most my time writing and drawing. It was a little, uh, before computers that could do much other than word process. I do notice that I although I am a self-demanding high-achiever, I will do as little work as possible to get the top grade. Let's call it: working efficiently. Other might call me lazy. I call it, giving other folks a chance--if I really gave it my all, well...

My opinion is that personality types can shift a little with maturity and time, but I know I've been INTJ my whole life.

I'm not sure about you, and I can't tell you what your true type is. All I know is, the best answers are the ones you find yourself. With time, I think you'll work it out. Good luck!

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,755 Posts
I hate homework and am a retard at maths. If I can't see a reasonable outcome to the effort I put in I can also lose interest. I left school in grade 8. It doesn't mean I didn't want to learn (I later went to uni). It means that I didn't want to learn in that environment.

It also doesn't make me INTP. I guess if you do a few cog tests and see what your preferences are there and look at the individual cog functions. It helped me figure what I was. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
16 year old INTJ here, with the exact same "problem". I am quite low on the N & J functions though, making me a borderline IxTx in some ways. So perhaps the intensity of each function is part of the explanation, because INTPs or ISTPs for example tend to procrastinate.

Anyway, I'm getting quite lazy and procrastinate a great deal too. I have always had a general internal motivation, but I think I've been conditioned by the education system into mainly caring about grades as if they are accurately representative of knowledge. This scares me quite a bit. I despise homework, but can rarely bring myself to not do it...so I masochistically stay up until 2 AM every night at the earliest. I do really well on tests, so that saves me.

So...I suppose I'm in the same boat as you. I personally want to learn and have a passion for knowledge, but laziness and distractions can get the better of me--doesn't mean I'm not an INTJ though. Hope this post helps in some way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Simply put, this.
INTJs are not always "DRIVE TO SUCEED!!1" A lot of the time, they're drawn to activities and then choose to excel at them.
I agree with this. We seem to be picky and decide to dedicate ourselves to what we like when we like.

Like some others here I was lazy in high school. I did much better in college to the point students and teachers came to me for some sort of help whether I meant to do well or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts