Personality Cafe banner

261 - 273 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've caused great irreparable damage, I've sullied my own good name, I've soiled my eating location so greatly...... the most polite act of kindness I could possibly perform..... is to never post here again!

Edit: This thread has almost 100 views more than when I posted this 6 hours ago. And there's like 3 or 4 posts on the rest of the E forum.

But there's not 100 people posting here.

Lame.

You people are LAME!
I'll trust that you're joking, but if you could insult a whole group I considered you to be fair game.

·
Registered
ISFJ 6w7 sp/so
27,953 Posts
Nice to know that I'm the worst kind of 5! o_O Actually I'm pretty interested in this statement. I definitely had to go a very difficult route to become fully self expressed and aware of myself. with Fi being in shadow, getting it out of shadow was a herculean task. What do you base the statement on? Thanks!
I wrote it a long time ago, don't really remember what I was thinking at the time.

it's based on experience, like basically anything I think or say

·
Registered
984 Posts
I disagree with every single point made in the OP. Having 6 in my tritype, I can personally say that it is just as legitimate as the other numbers in my tritype. And my 6 is counter-phobic, yet I still recognize the parts of me that are governed by my 6ish obsessions. I specifically induce and engage the things that fear me, rather than hide away and quiet down. I sometimes actively destroy relationships because of my fears and distrust of the other person. Instead of simply letting the relationship run its course.

Type 6 overall is not as simple as anxiety or a safety net for those who don't fit in. It's wanting support, wanting to trust others, wanting loyalty, yet struggling with all of those very things you want. It's going through periods where you want to be taken care of, and then periods where you want to take care of others (playing the roles of both child and adult). It's extreme fluctuations in how certain you are of yourself, of your decisions, of your ability to make it on your own. It's being scared to trust yourself, to have some faith, to trust others. Yet still managing to do those things, only to realize you have not been doing those things, or you have regressed in the span of a few moments. Cause for me, these fluctuations happen within the same day, the same hour even. I know I can be contradictory because of that.

Yes, I am responsible, yes I crave security, yes I do feel I represent the "everyday man", and yes I am anxious with considerations of what ifs and worst case scenarios, but at the same time, there's so much more going on. There's so much mental and emotional depth that comes with being a 6, which you'll only truly learn about if you are ever fortunate enough to have a close relationship with one (they take their relationships very seriously).

I'd love to hear from others with 6 in their tritypes, because I feel the distance from their core allows some cool insight into what it actually means to be a 6. Of course along with hearing from 6s themselves.

·
MOTM February 2014
4,787 Posts
I really think that's a projection because of sample bias... It makes sense that a lot of 5's would be on the internet a lot, and seeking out new knowledge at a site dedicated to knowledge. I don't see a conflict that a lot of people on the site type as 5's.
I mean, I have absolutely no reason to trust your reasoning any more than you have to trust mine, really. And exactly what do you think I'm projecting, please? I don't think you can project "a sample bias"...

This is a complicated subject, and it's hard to accurately condense. To start with: yes, there's not a huge conflict in the concept, but there is conflict in the practicality (presentation). For example, many "5s" here show behaviors or patterns that do not line up with 5, and refuse to even start to consider why that may be. If they're rudely asked about it, yes, they probably have reason to blow it off. But, far more than not, it goes unasked, since few have bothered to actually "seek knowledge" on this subject at all, and has instead related to buzz words and supposed behavioral patterns and think "welp, type 5 it is." That eventually leads to a population (with an inevitable percentage being an exception) that doesn't know to ask in the first place and is instead relying on pure superficiality.
(The OP is a good example of this, actually, along with a good amount of the non-6s here trying to talk about what 6 is.)

Plus, I think it's kind of... sad, the common idea that only one type can ever "seek knowledge," as is the idea that only 4s are interested in "introspection." That does create a logical conflict, a sort of simplification fallacy if that's a thing (I'm pretty sure it is, 'cause how could it not be). An entire type shouldn't ever be simplified that way, as it just reduces everything into a caricature. And... well, that's boring. I will admit, I haven't made a full study of the history itself, but the Enneagram wasn't created for labeling people (such as the Keirsey model of MBTI was made for), it was made for psychological growth. Given that, I would assume a more equal (not perfect) distribution would be more natural, as growth requires introspection and knowledge as a matter of course. I don't think that 4/5s have some magical instinct to seeking out growth more often: I think they have just as many ego protections as everyone else.

And, yes, I realize you're not intentionally saying "only 5s seek knowledge" and such, but - assuming people are mistyping on such a large scale - it seems to me like it would be heavily influenced from that misconception, so I built off your wording.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I mean, I have absolutely no reason to trust your reasoning any more than you have to trust mine, really. And exactly what do you think I'm projecting, please? I don't think you can project "a sample bias"...

This is a complicated subject, and it's hard to accurately condense. To start with: yes, there's not a huge conflict in the concept, but there is conflict in the practicality (presentation). For example, many "5s" here show behaviors or patterns that do not line up with 5, and refuse to even start to consider why that may be. If they're rudely asked about it, yes, they probably have reason to blow it off. But, far more than not, it goes unasked, since few have bothered to actually "seek knowledge" on this subject at all, and has instead related to buzz words and supposed behavioral patterns and think "welp, type 5 it is." That eventually leads to a population (with an inevitable percentage being an exception) that doesn't know to ask in the first place and is instead relying on pure superficiality.
(The OP is a good example of this, actually, along with a good amount of the non-6s here trying to talk about what 6 is.)

Plus, I think it's kind of... sad, the common idea that only one type can ever "seek knowledge," as is the idea that only 4s are interested in "introspection." That does create a logical conflict, a sort of simplification fallacy if that's a thing (I'm pretty sure it is, 'cause how could it not be). An entire type shouldn't ever be simplified that way, as it just reduces everything into a caricature. And... well, that's boring. I will admit, I haven't made a full study of the history itself, but the Enneagram wasn't created for labeling people (such as the Keirsey model of MBTI was made for), it was made for psychological growth. Given that, I would assume a more equal (not perfect) distribution would be more natural, as growth requires introspection and knowledge as a matter of course. I don't think that 4/5s have some magical instinct to seeking out growth more often: I think they have just as many ego protections as everyone else.

And, yes, I realize you're not intentionally saying "only 5s seek knowledge" and such, but - assuming people are mistyping on such a large scale - it seems to me like it would be heavily influenced from that misconception, so I built off your wording.
All I can tell you is that when I go to a public enneagram group there are no 5's other then me, except for one time when I went to a 5 panel that someone set up. When I go to online, there are many more 5's. You're correct that to really know we'd have to have a professional testing of everyone. And I also think it's a "misnomer" to think that 5's seek knowledge. To a certain extent I do, but it's more about trying to process stuff around my expert fixation. For my part I'm an SX first 5, and my fixation is with understanding the interactions between people. So I was fixated on Fiction novels when I was young, As I got older I got into psychology, then emotional work, Landmark, enneagram, etc.... When I read about science etc, I'm most interested in the science of things that will change society... How human's are integrating with technology, what are the implications of the cell phone oracle ability, how that's changing us to makers, the makers movement, biotech and integration as cyborgs etc... 5's seek to understand the world or something in the world so that they can "make a place" for themselves in the world. When you think about the retreat of a 5 and how insular they are it's really kind of pathetic. Of course that's an unhealthy to low average 5, and I'm sure there are many of that type that just stay mostly in the retreat place. I consider myself somewhat healthy and it still takes just completely ignoring my instincts just to get out of the house some days. Not because I'm particularly anxious, though that used to be a factor sometimes, but because I'd rather sit and watch youtube videos about existensialism or read about personality and psychology.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I know I'm a 6, but my fairly strong secondary 9 and my schizophrenia poverty of thought usually causes me to just shrug off threads like this. I don't feel a need to prove I'm a 6 atm.

·
Registered
769 Posts
If I feel inspired and fresh and have any insight at a later date I'll let you know.

·
Registered
769 Posts
6 is like a whole new monster of its own. The most common type with seemingly the widest array of different behaviors. Its like you could start a whole new "enneagram" just classifying 6's into different types.

·
Registered
INTP / ILI-Ni
126 Posts
6 is like a whole new monster of its own. The most common type with seemingly the widest array of different behaviors. Its like you could start a whole new "enneagram" just classifying 6's into different types.
:unsure: I'm a officially verified 6w5 in the enneagram (had to cus of constant doubts), tritype 6-4-8.
Temperaments: Melancholic-Choleric
Socionics type: ILI-Ni
MBTI: depends, according to functions INTJ, according to dichotomies INTP.. however I like closure and narrowing down options.. so its not very INTP-ish.

AMA. What do ppl find odd about type 6?

·
Registered
769 Posts
:unsure: I'm a officially verified 6w5 in the enneagram (had to cus of constant doubts), tritype 6-4-8.
Temperaments: Melancholic-Choleric
Socionics type: ILI-Ni
MBTI: depends, according to functions INTJ, according to dichotomies INTP.. however I like closure and narrowing down options.. so its not very INTP-ish.

AMA. What do ppl find odd about type 6?
My "signature" says what I am.

261 - 273 of 273 Posts