Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow ENTPs!

I have a question!
Why is it that you guys love to argue the most?? I would imagine INTJs or ENTJs like to argue more cause they always want to see things their way (Ni)....

but why you guys? Why do you guys love arguing? Has the Ne blood got something to do with it??

State your reasons!

Reactions: Thomas329

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
To feed my massive ego.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The challenge and it helps to clarify my own opinions on something. I think sometimes it's to show off the skills of our Ne/Ti and it helps me to understand someone else's perspective even if I don't change their views to my own (although the challenge itself of trying to change someones views is sometimes a driving force itself.)

Gives my brain a work out. It almost stimulates my brain as much as creative projects do. But not as much.

There's just so many reasons.

I didn't know we loved to argue THE MOST though. I almost never start any of my arguments but I sure as hell love to finish them. I do come up with stupid arguments with friends though like i'll see something on the news about a baby dying or something and then when someone goes "Oh that's sad" i'll go "Why is it sad..." and then start a stupid light hearted debate that ends in a matter of seconds and then i'll go "Yeah it is sad though" and then talk about it like I never debated it being sad in the first place LOL. It's expected of me though so i'm not taken seriously. Oh my ENTP ways....

·
Registered
424 Posts
INTJs and ENTJs do argue a lot, with me :cool:.

I like arguing because it is enjoyable, not in the sense of deriving pleasure. One thing I gauge when I purposely argue with someone is the true person behind those words. I love interaction and I realize people don't show their true colors. A lot of people hide behind their faces and I've learned to pierce through their masks. By arguing, I am gaining understanding not only on the topic but the person I am discussing it with. That way, I know when there is motive behind that person regardless of the evidence they bring forth. At that point, even though I may not agree with the topic, the intention of that person would allow me to justify the validity of this argument. I am sure not if whether ENTPs argue for this personalized reason.

Also, when I argue, I take no sides. I believe in the middle path and to come to a conclusion about something remains suspicious. While there may be 99.99% certainty for anything, that 0.01% is enough for me to come up with arguments against the prevailing side. This is what I believe INTJs and ENTJs can't seem to adjust well to, imperfection. While I do say that I take no sides, I do take sides for trivial matters but for controversial discussions such as social, political, and religious topics I can draw no definite conclusions.

I may have ratted myself out or some ENTPs for that matter but I believe the Ne is good enough to come up with further defenses :laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Combination of intellectual stimulation, fun (it's just really, really fun, I don't know why), and arguing to understand. Like... I might take an opposing side, just to see what kinds of arguments I can make, and sometimes if I come up with reasons that are good enough I can change my own mind. Or, to listen to the arguments people come up with in order to better understand their perspective, and learn more about the topic at hand. I like winning, sure, but often my arguments are just about stupid stuff that I don't care about winning in the first place. Luckily my husband loves to argue, too, and we have a blast. People think we are bickering and hate each other, but they have no idea how much fun we are having. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Top Ten list:

10 It's better to argue about the weather than talk about it
9 Because we almost always win if we want to
8 Because it irritates ISTJs
7 If we didn't do it, who would?
6 It's like butter
5 You're not a fellow ENTP, you're an ENTJ!
4 We need something to do while juggling 4 other ideas in our head.
3 Because we can
2 We can lead any argument towards any topic we want to
1 It's like mental sex

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't consider it an argument unless my opponent is equally intelligent. In most cases, I consider it teaching. If I see something wrong, I want to correct it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you guys argue for fun... not to win.... hmmm... interesting...

Lol, we argue to win!
but over the years, i've learnt that it's not good to argue (to win) cause you'll never win. You just end up making the other person pissed off more at you....

·
Banned
998 Posts
I argue to learn different points of view people have on certain scenarios. It's not even arguing most of the time, even if it comes across like that. It's more about soaking in information. There are some times when I argue because I know my opinion is mostly likely more correct than the other party's. These are typically the debates revolving around religion and politics. I don't understand why people consider religion as such an untouchable when it comes to debate in real life. Fucking Christians. Yes the earth is 6000 years old and flat, and woman was created from a rib.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I argue to learn different points of view people have on certain scenarios. It's not even arguing most of the time, even if it comes across like that. It's more about soaking in information. There are some times when I argue because I know my opinion is mostly likely more correct than the other party's. These are typically the debates revolving around religion and politics. I don't understand why people consider religion as such an untouchable when it comes to debate in real life. Fucking Christians. Yes the earth is 6000 years old and flat, and woman was created from a rib.
:laughing: Hey, be nice. After all Jesus is motherfuckin' magic! He's just been absent from the scene since more sophisticated ways of recording history have come into the picture. But he's due to come back any day now...

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've heard Christians tell me how they have at certain points in their life HEARD God speak to them. With their ears. It's called a hallucination. It means it's time for a visit to the doctor.
LMAO. I've always thought that. I'm like: Now I understand that you have your own beliefs and that's cool and all but...have you ever considered that you just might be, you know, a little crazy?! Like at least get a psychological evaluation first.

I especially hate though how you ask some Christians what makes them believe believe in their own religion and the bible especially given all of the other religions out there and then they quote the damn bible! (Sighs) or say something like "god works in mysterious ways" or something about how it is beyond our understanding. Other religions have a book, other religions have Gods that " work beyond our understanding" so why not believe in one of them instead. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, I didn't expect this to turn out as a religion debate

Please have respect to other religions.

Christians, Muslims, and Jews all came from the same prophet line. All of them believe in Adam, Eve, Jesus, Moses, God, Archangel Gabriel, Noah and etc. They have so many similarities

Oh, I almost forgot.... You guys argue for fun.... lol

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I like to debate but not argue, arguing involves people getting annoyed and yelling at me usually. Debates are fun and I do it to learn and teach at the same time! It's also interesting exploring the minds of people.
On the Christian topic: At least you didn't have a huge debate with a random woman who didn't believe in global warming while on a coach! (She seriously wouldn't shut up, it drove me mad as I couldn't say my point at all)

·
Banned
359 Posts
" Using their intuition to process this information, they are usually extremely quick and accurate in their ability to size up a situation. With the exception of their ENFP cousin, the ENTP has a deeper understanding of their environment than any of the other types. "

Source : Personalitypage.com
------------------

Why ENTP's like to debate.

Reason 1 : because of their deeper understanding, ENTP's are likely to find flaws or inefficiencies, in others understanding, and when ENTP's try to correct those flaws or inefficiencies it often turns into a debate or argument. Well in case of ENFP because of their F they will not try correct others.

Deeper understanding is probably because of Ne , which is dominant in only two types , ENTP and ENFP, while ENTP because of secondary T will be able to process it logically hence will have much more confidence in his understanding.

People often misunderstand the ENTP's tendency to correct others as tendency to argue, showoff - showing how awesome ENTP is,
or one upping.
Well in most of the cases ENTP would likely to do that only because, he/she wants to help the other person to understand things better.

This process of helping others to understand things better by communication which naturally is debate but often converts into an argument depends who you are debating with.

The confidence of ENTP in his understanding is natural because of Ne backed by Ti, but others may perceive it as cockiness.
Remember Ne is commonsense and T is ability to logically process and verify the things. Ne backed by Ti is a very powerful combination.

Reason 2 : debates are a method of excellent intellectual exchange, and hence further refine our understanding.

Reason 3: Its fun to mentally screw others, and ENTP's can easily do that. You would like to utilize this power on idiots or people who endanger others due to their foolishness, like idiotic administration or foolish government policies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When it comes to arguing, I honestly do it just to see people's reaction. Sometimes, I will take the wrong side of an argument and see if I can move people to team with me. In the end, I always admit I'm wrong though, especially if I have won because the look on people's faces are even better! For instance, I'm sick of the BP arguments, so when I heard people arguing about it, I started making BP sounding godly. It's funny how wriled up people can be over such topics that really don't affect them too much way out here.

·
Registered
492 Posts

Lol, we argue to win!
but over the years, i've learnt that it's not good to argue (to win) cause you'll never win. You just end up making the other person pissed off more at you....
I hate when people react with emotions quickly in a debate, unless I did it on purpose. If I want to "troll" I troll, and get emotions, but when I want a discussion, I want someone to think, and not react on pure emotion.

I do it to understand opinions, situations, and get a look at how a person truly is. I like to uncover someones mask. I also argue to make people to understand there own opinions more, and reevaluate them. I use the Socratic Method often in debates. I try to make others think as much as possible in a debate, I don't care so much the opinions, as long as they are strong in there opinions, and know where they stand.

I would like to point out that learnt is not proper grammar. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

Lol, we argue to win!
For me, winning IS fun. The fun part is that you're completely keeping your cool. The fact you are backed up with all the logic while the other person flails in their pool of defeat is quite enjoyable.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i used to argue a lot but it's no fun being an a-hole in the long run. i still catch myself correcting people or going on about the origin of some term (dressed to the nines, dork) but ive really tried to curb it.

Reactions: ivorynightgown
1 - 20 of 31 Posts