Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see so many confused about their types, or identifying as a different type every week.

I thought I was a 4 when I was 14 yo. I knew I was a 6w5 before I turned 15. That was just from reading about the types, no tests. I didn't really care about instinctual stackings at first. But I knew I was sx/so around age 23 after thinking I was so/sx for 2 or 3 years before that.

As far as MBTI. I didn't care about it until my late 30's. But then I took a test for it. I answered all the questions the best and most honestly that I could. It said I was an ISFP. I then read the descriptions of all the types and indeed confirmed that the ISFP best described me.

I just wonder either why it was all so easy for me, or why its so hard for so many other people.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ ♂
16,951 Posts
Cognitive development doesn't end until around age 25. You've sort of been forced to understand your own psyche to a level that most people don't ever get to, is this not so?

Reactions: Ock

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cognitive development doesn't end until around age 25. You've sort of been forced to understand your own psyche to a level that most people don't ever get to, is this not so?
That seems very likely. But I don't exactly understand why or how tbh. Maybe because my life circumstances are pretty atypical.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ ♂
16,951 Posts
That seems very likely. But I don't exactly understand why or how tbh. Maybe because my life circumstances are pretty atypical.
I was an unhealthy 5w6 when I first took the enneagram test in college (I kept getting type 7). I have consistently tested as an ENTP though.

Reactions: Ock

·
Premium Member
unknown
22 Posts
huh, I feel confused about my type, mine consistently tested INFP for the longest time. I quit drinking about 6 years ago, now my results are all over the place, but definitely not INFP. I've heard drinking can interrupt brain function and maturity. Recovery stops this and brings back sanity and brings the person back to the age they were at when they started drinking then they mature from there. People always said I was young at heart. not to say everyone who is confused about their type is an ex drinker, they could have a myrid of medical problems to explain their confusion. or they could simply be overwhelmed by new test results and actually simply be plain confused. That's all I've got :)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
huh, I feel confused about my type, mine consistently tested INFP for the longest time. I quit drinking about 6 years ago, now my results are all over the place, but definitely not INFP. I've heard drinking can interrupt brain function and maturity. Recovery stops this and brings back sanity and brings the person back to the age they were at when they started drinking then they mature from there. People always said I was young at heart. not to say everyone who is confused about their type is an ex drinker, they could have a myrid of medical problems to explain their confusion. or they could simply be overwhelmed by new test results and actually simply be plain confused. That's all I've got :)
I didn't start drinking until age 21. (No, not because of 21 being the legal drinking age.)

·
Registered
3w4 - 6w5 - 1w9 | Melancholic-Choleric
46 Posts
If I were to make a guess I'd say your dominant Fi can play a huge role in that. It's an introverted function hence it helps with self-reflection (as opposed to extroverted f.-dominants who may find it harder). Also the way I understand Fi is about personal integrity for which you need to know yourself and your values, and that again gives you a headstart against others. That's just my two cents though.

·
Registered
5w4 592 INTP
21 Posts
I'm thinking it could play a role that Enneagram types are more 'concealed' in that they are less visible. In theory any behavior could indicate any Enneagram type; from the surface we cannot see what motivated that behavior. It requires digging a bit deeper and addressing largely unconscious patterns.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I were to make a guess I'd say your dominant Fi can play a huge role in that. It's an introverted function hence it helps with self-reflection (as opposed to extroverted f.-dominants who may find it harder). Also the way I understand Fi is about personal integrity for which you need to know yourself and your values, and that again gives you a headstart against others. That's just my two cents though.
That actually makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: InternalSympathy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts