Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there is one thing that keeps on become clearer and clearer to me, it is just how much variety lies within one type. As an ENTP I am spend most of my time in the ENTP forums, and have the most experience observing the various differences within this one personality type. However, there are 15 other personality types as well, and I am not even close to understanding all of the varieties which lie within those other types.

That being said, I am highly confident in my personality type, yet I often get asked by people if I'm sure I'm not ENTJ. Yes I am very sure.

I think the difference lies in two areas of study. One is in intelligence types, and the other is in psyche types.

Freud theorized that there are three psyches: the narcissist, the obsessive and the erotic. You can google it if you want more info, but basically the narcissist is very focused himself and where he wants to be, the obsessive is very focus on doing things the way they're supposed to be done, and the erotic is very focused on being loved by others and making people happy.

As far as intelligence types go, the way I see it, there are three that shoukd be focused on, for the purpose of this topic at least: general IQ, emotional IQ, and strategic IQ. I'd imagine everyone here is familiar with the first two, but not that familiar with the last one. Strategic IQ is basically the collection of ones competency across foresight, visioning, partnering, motivating and system thinking.

I've mentioned on here before that I am an entrepreneur. Two years ago, when I was 21, I made a promise to myself that I will never work for anyone ever again. But lots of ENTPs have come to this conclusion for their lives, so how does that make me different. The difference lies in how far I expect myself to go. I don't think I have ever said on here before exactly where I plan to get to, the reason being that I see this forum as a sanctuary of self-actualisation apart from the rest of my life. Also, because whenever I speak of my ambitions I realize just how different I am from the rest of the world, and that it is very possible that I will never be completely understood by anyone.

But now I will say exactly where I expect myself to get to. I am 23 this year, and assuming linear growth, my business is projected to reach $300K in sales by Dec 31. However, my business is growing exponentially, not linearly, so my target is to reach $1M by that date, and I expect that from myself. Also, when I was 21 I set the goal to reach millionaire status within 5 years. As of right now it's looking like I am going to reach that goal. However, that is just the short term goals I have set for myself. Truthfully, what I expect from myself is to build multinational, billion dollar businesses. I have a very strong vision, that I absolutely feel I NEED to turn into a reality.

Going back to the psyches and intelligences I mentioned earlier, I have analyzed myself immensely over the past few years. In terms of psyches, I am a narcissist. More than that, I have a level of narcissism that is beyond what the vast majority of people have, but it's still in the subclinical range. Basically, if you were to plot narcissism and how beneficial it is to have different levels of narcissism, I believe I am incredibly close to the peak of that curve. This level is commonly referred to as productive narcissism.

In terms of intelligence, my general IQ is high, but not staggeringly so. At 140 I know plenty of people who have a much higher general IQ than myself. My emotional IQ is probably below average, although there isn't really a good waybto quantitatively measure this. Subjectively though, when I observe my interpersonal relationships, and compare that to other peoples' interpersonal relationships, I kind of feel like I'm out of the loop on the whole emotions thing, which I am completely fine with. I prefer being emotionally detached on an individual level, as it allows me to focus on what really matters, which is my vision. Lastly, on strategic IQ I am staggeringly high. The five categories of sIQ - foresight, visioning, motivating, partnering and systems thinking - are all talents I was blessed with from birth, and luckily I chose a career where I truly get to develop all 5 of them.

So, the reason I think I am commonly mistaken for an ENTJ on here is due to the fact that my strategic intelligence is far above what most people have. Understand, my dominant function is Ne. I get my energy from taking in information from the world and thinking of "what ifs". I am an incredibly creative person with tons of ideas. Just yesterday I got a fantastic idea for the new product I'm launching to potentially make the production process twice as efficient (I haven't read of people doing it that way yet, but I doubt I'm the first to have thought of it, and I definitely plan on testing it). And while my strategic IQ is incredibly high, it happens through my Ti as opposed to Te as is the case for ENTJs. When I strategize, I do it in my head. I also don't like sharing my logical process with others, unlike ENTJs who love sharing their logical thinking process, due to their thinking being extraverted.

I'm guessing that my narcissism is higher than most ENTPs, that my emotional IQ is probably a bit lower than most ENTPs, and that my strategic thinking is much higher than most ENTPs. What this adds up to is someone who has a very strong vision, a NEED to obtain his vision, and highly competent in doing things in the correct order so that the vision can be obtained.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I actually read all of that, but what is the point of this thread? To inform?

Reactions: BusinessMan

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually read all of that, but what is the point of this thread? To inform?
A reflection is more like it. Plus in the future when someone asks me if I'm sure I'm not actually an ENTJ, I now have a link to refer them to :p.

·
Registered
186 Posts
A reflection is more like it. Plus in the future when someone asks me if I'm sure I'm not actually an ENTJ, I now have a link to refer them to :p.
ie the 'thinking ahead'. ohyer good. By the way where can one find testing for those 3 types of intelligences you mentioned in your post?

Reactions: BusinessMan

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ie the 'thinking ahead'. ohyer good. By the way where can one find testing for those 3 types of intelligences you mentioned in your post?
Well I am.sure you can find many places in your area that do IQ tests. There are online tests that test emotional and strategic intelligence, but I don't think it's something that can be accurately tested by answering questions. Emotional intelligence is subjective. There is an emotional intelligence test you can find by googling, but ultimately I think it is something that is better off tested by a third party observer who studies your life. Strategic intelligence is the same. Really the only way for strategic intelligence to be tested would be for a third party expert to observe you.

I haven't had official emotional and strategic intelligence tests done, which would probably lead some to ask why I am so sure of where I lie on the spectrums. Mainly it is through self-observation and confidence in my perceptive abilities of myself. But I feel as if I am on a compmetely.different level than most people I have come across, even some of the older people I know who own multimillion dollar businesses. I have this natural tendency to think big and act on those thoughts. You don't have to think very big to build a million dollar business, but you have to think big to build a billion dollar business. It is also possible that I am overconfident in my abilities and a bit delusional, although I doubt it. I guess time.will tell.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Is that 300k AFTER taxes? haha.

But ya, i totally agree with you from what I read about personality type. Most people lack that drive to succeed and passion to achieve a clear goal. Probably because a lot of people, like myself, dont really have a clear goal set in stone. And in your case, with business, you have to be organized and somewhat anal about certain things. Personality, unlike goals, is not set in stone, and there is a huge amount of variance and malleability in it. Most people tell people that they seem like other personality types because that's all they know about that type. When i say "you seem like an ENTJ" im referring to everything i have heard online about the stereotypical ENFJ. Also they think about the type you say you are, and think "wait a minute?!?!?! ENTPs arent organized!!".

And knowing tons of shit about psychology, i need to be real with you here, so don't take this the wrong way. Narcissism is basically a defense mechanism developed to prove oneself to other people, compensating for some shit that went down earlier in life, whether its from having a small dick, to being told by people all your life that "YOU ARENT GOOD ENOUGH!"....This leads me to believe that you aren't in this for the money itself, but are in it because you need to prove to the world that you can achieve financial success. From this, I can tell that you might place a very high regard for people who have tons of cash, and feel that it is the ultimate form of success...I dont know how accurate this may or may not be, because, obviously, i dont know you, but its just something to think about. Be careful with it because you might lose touch with what is actually important in life, which is free will, right? haha.

Its great though that you are comfortable with being yourself. People take the personality type stuff too personally, and make it part of themselves. Its just a label. Most people are too scared to stray away from the description of their type, because it gives them control in their lives, thinking that if they play their types "character" that they will be happy in life. Maybe they will, and maybe they wont, it depends how far off they are from the realization of their true selves. Like, right here, people might say "You sound like an enFj to me!!". Its because they dont realize that we all have all of the MBTI functions, just at different levels. Its relative to what they are doing in life. For me, im a 2nd year psychology student, so i use psychology terminology and word structure, just like how you are familiar with business and finance word structure, which is very organized and structured. Psychology is a science of abstract theories and generalizations, so it will reflect that way onto my writing. Business can be very precise and organized, which will also show up in your writing.

But ya...be careful with that above-average self esteem. Especially in real life, where people can read your mind, and hack into you. Ive got about an 85% success rate when it comes to analyzing mother-fuckers online haha, 500000% in real life. But maybe you can use your ENTJ skills to help me come up with a more accurate percentage hahah.

·
Banned
492 Posts
O ya, and people dont realize how much control that they actually have over their lives. You clearly have discovered that truth. Internal locus of control is the psych term for that. As opposed to external locus of control, where you believe other things are controlling your life.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@King_Moonracer

I can concur that I most likely have developed some narcissistic traits due to not fitting in as a child. It also seems to me that you get narcissists who are low-lives with nothing to show, and productive narcissists, who channel their narcissism to achieve great things.

I don't ever tell people "I'm awesome" or whatever. When the conversation is focused on me, almost all of my communication is objective, with the focus being on my accomplishments and my vision, or my objective traits that I have observed. It's not my fault if I have way more good things to say about myself than most people have to say about themselves.

I think a lot of people use their MBTI type as an excuse for being lazy, especially a lot of the xxxPs. So when another xxxP comes along who isn't afraid of hardwork comes along, it makes them feel threatened, because now their excuse isn't valid anymore. The result is that they say "are you sure you're not J?".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts