Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else feel that Facebook is a form of brain pollution?

1.) It always seem like people are posting trivial and meaningless updates; i.e., "OMG I bought the best brownie ever from a gas station..."

2.) Unwarranted friends requests. Why do I receive friend requests from people I have NEVER seen in my life? It would be one thing if it were from someone I just didn't care for; but really, if you have never interacted with me on any level why would you want to be my friend? I do support making friends in an on-line forum such as this, because it is typically based on shared interests.

3.) Maybe I am just ranting... afterall, it is facebook, not brainbook.

Does anyone have something to add?

·
Registered
54 Posts

1.) It always seem like people are posting trivial and meaningless updates; i.e., "OMG I bought the best brownie ever from a gas station..."

2.) Unwarranted friends requests. Why do I receive friend requests from people I have NEVER seen in my life? It would be one thing if it were from someone I just didn't care for; but really, if you have never interacted with me on any level why would you want to be my friend? I do support making friends in an on-line forum such as this, because it is typically based on shared interests.

You're probably afriad to show your face on facebook? K don't track my ip and blow up my house now haha. But yea, I don't even waste my time on that kinda crap anymore. The last time I was on it some ugly girl tried to seduce me on valentines day LOL.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
The only reasons I use FB are to keep in touch with old friends and to network.

Aside from that - yes, I find a lot of posts annoying. I don't watch sports, and can't stand all of the football/soccer/baseball/hockey arguments that clutter my page. I wish I could filter via certain keywords in posts and block certain topics.

I also don't get the meaningless updates. One of my co-workers posts the most boring, uninteresting little blurbs imaginable. "We just got home from the library and are going to eat dinner now". Who cares? If I wanted to follow every mundane detail of your life I'd sign up for Twitter. *rollseyes*

Oh, and to make FB even more interesting, there's always the FB Stalker. Last year I got a friend request from someone I didn't recognize, but we had a friend in common. I figured I probably knew him at some point and I was in a good mood, so I accepted the request. A few months later, I got another friend request from him. I figured he'd gotten bored with FB and deleted his account, and changed his mind and was back. I accepted the request.

He immediately started commenting on my pictures. I'd posted something about weight training and he made a crude comment. Then he sent me a private message and asked me out. He lives 4 hours away, and I pointed that out to him. He asked if he could come stay with me for a weekend. WTF? I said no, and he persisted...so I deleted him.

Turns out, he did NOT delete his account before - he'd gotten BANNED for harassing women. Go figure.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts

Do you mean you actually have a facebook account?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Think of all the disturbing photos and videos that almost everyone has on Facebook. What are kids going to think of their parents when they see them? What if someone running for President has an embarrassing portion of photos looming around his/her campaign? People are going to, and have already, lost "respect" for one another because of Facebook. I think it's hilariously awesome. I say let people glorify their stupidity. It has a certain charm to it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
People are going to, and have already, lost "respect" for one another because of Facebook. I think it's hilariously awesome. I say let people glorify their stupidity. It has a certain charm to it.
Well said. I think it's a good rule of thumb not to post anything you wouldn't want Grandma to see.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I get annoyed also by the random friend requests I get on there. I should permanently make my status, "If I don't know you, go fuck off." I don't know. It's like some people feel better when they have 3,000 friends on there or something. I'd rather have my 35 real friends, then 3,000 fake ones.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Mindless updates don't really bother me, in fact sometimes my friends have the most hilarious (if not pointless) statuses. The only reason I dislike Facebook is because it is so. Goddamn. Distracting. I mean, you wouldn't think such a mundane site could keep you occupied for hours, but stalking people you haven't seen since elementary school is hands down of the most appealing time wasters ever. I decided to get rid of my account after I finally realized, that it was the reason why I was unable to complete a simple 3 page draft for one of my essays. Something that should have taken at least 2 hours got dragged out the whole day.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Facebook: A spyware program that does an amazing job of masking itself as a social networking site.

·
Banned
255 Posts
The ubiquity of facebook in mainstream life sometimes has me wondering if it'll entrench itself to a point where it will become difficult to operate in society without having a facebook account.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
What are you talking about? Facebook is a BREAKTHROUGH! I mean, we have people who are DYING to share every single bit of mundane detail with the world and have somebody care. WELL, GUESS WHAT. NOW YOU CAN! And people will "like" it too! Forget the fact that they usually forget about whatever they "liked" in the next 5 seconds. It's really nothing new. It just made meaningless self assertiveness possible; people had that desire all along.

Reactions: RecklessInspirer

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm indifferent towards facebook. I find it boring. Everyone tells me they basically stalk other people's pages...like that's heaps of fun? go out and get some fresh air. Please.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Facebook may be distasteful, but isn't this forum (in a similar way) just the same?
When you really think about it, both are juvenile if used in that way... More than half the people on here post meaningless shit that is just them venting or telling us about their lives. (And I'm not saying I haven't fallen victim of this very thing myself.) The only difference is that here, it's more in depth and with more drama added to their expression. And also, most people on here don't know each other. Don't you find your questions a bit ironic and bias?

Facebook is a social network, just like this forum is. If you don't want to be "social", then don't be a part of the "social networking".
Problem solved.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's easy enough to ignore people's drivel on FB. I find it entertaining to make jokes on there, and make fun of people - it also keeps me connected to my friends back home. I don't seem to hate it as much as other INTJs - though I don't like how distracting it can be.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts