Personality Cafe banner

41 - 60 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know some very quiet enfps... especially enneagram 9s. I think that many E types can be ambiverts - two of my close friends are ESFj and ESFP and they seem less outgoing than me often. I don't think you can really analyse this in terms of comparing functions - some ENFPs are going to sit far along the E scale and some more in the middle.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
@PurpleKitti If you say so, it just doesn't make much sense in theory and I've never seen it to be the case.
Have you considered this less that ENFPs are not ambiverted but more the case that the more introverted ENFPs are invisible to you?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Have you considered this less that ENFPs are not ambiverted but more the case that the more introverted ENFPs are invisible to you?
You say this while at the same time don't apply this rule to any other type. The vast majority of ENFPs I've met were very high-energy people.

·
Banned
21,040 Posts
You say this while at the same time don't apply this rule to any other type. The vast majority of ENFPs I've met were very high-energy people.
you have to follow these people around to see how long they remain "very high energy"

using an analogy, if you only see manic-depressives in their manic state, you might think these people are bouncing off walls all the time when in fact they bounce back and forth between manic and depressisve states

I'm not saying enfps are manic-depressives, but alternating between extroversion and introversion somewhat resembles manic-depressive states

·
Banned
21,040 Posts
"Introverted extrovert" purely from typological perspective is meaningless - it cancels out. And the idea that certain extroverted functions are "more extroverted" has absolutely no use for anything.

The fact that words have different meanings in the theory than in the colloquial sense is not an excuse. Differentiating between (situational) sociability and (habitual) function attitude is not that difficult. If it is, introverted ENFPs might just as well type as INFPs.

If the meaning is to - by "introverted extrovert" or "extroverted introvert" - explain that one isn't clearly one or the other, the word "ambivert" exists.
"more introverted extrovert" simply means an extrovert who spends less time using his extroverted functions and more time using his introverted functions

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
you have to follow these people around to see how long they remain "very high energy"

using an analogy, if you only see manic-depressives in their manic state, you might think these people are bouncing off walls all the time when in fact they bounce back and forth between manic and depressisve states

I'm not saying enfps are manic-depressives, but alternating between extroversion and introversion somewhat resembles manic-depressive states
I have ENFP friends

·
Banned
21,040 Posts
I have ENFP friends
do you see your friends every waking hour of every day?

do they all spend all of their time with you so you can observe them?

or do you see them only, or mostly, in their extroverted moments?

my point is your observations are probably heavily biased

·
Banned
21,040 Posts
re the connection between sociability and extroversion, this study looked at how much social interaction introverts and extroverts can tolerate and found that even extroverts have their limits and become exhausted after some time...so using extroversion to mean sociability, the hypothesis "enfps are the most introverted extroverts" can be understood to mean, "out of all extroverted types, enfps, on average, can tolerate the least amount of prolonged socializing"

blogs.scientificamerican.com

Both Introverts and Extraverts Get Exhausted from Too Much Socializing

Scott Barry Kaufman
[HR][/HR] Deep down, we all find it draining having to talk to too many people.

Source: Flickr

Having an active social life is one of the strongest predictors of longevity and good health. Human connection is one of the most fundamental and important human drives. But it can also be our most tiring! Quick question: raise your hand if you ever get tired after talking to too many people. Did you raise your hand? Congrats: you’re human!

I think we tend to overplay our differences, and underestimate just how similar we all really are deep down in our basic needs, strivings, and frustrations. Our common humanity. Emerging research shows that even though we each show distinct patterns of thoughts, motivations, and behaviors that make us different from each other, we actually display the whole spectrum of behaviors in our everyday life. Everybody sometimes gets tired from too many social interactions, sometimes acts like a jerk, sometimes is lazy, etc. Just some of us are consistently more so on a regular basis than others.

In a brand new study, two Finnish researchers looked at one of the most prominent descriptions about introverts: that they need to be alone and recharge after too many social interactions. While this is undoubtedly true, does this really differentiate introverts from extraverts? Incredibly this idea has never actually been tested scientifically until now.

Over the course of 12 days, 48 participants filled out measures of their personality, mood, stress, and levels of fatigue. Five times a day, they were asked to describe their behavior, feelings, and situations during the last hour. They also were asked to describe the extent to which they interacted in person with others in the past hour. In addition to looking at the effects of behaving extraverted, they also looked at the effects of behaving conscientiously (studying, working, and having a goal that they tried to accomplish in the past hour).

They found that the more people were acting extraverted and conscientious, the more they reported being in a positive mood and feeling lower levels of fatigue in the moment, but after 3 hours they reported higher levels of fatigue. The level of fatigue depended on the number of people met during the last hour, the intensity of the social interactions, and how much they had a specific goal in mind when they were studying or working. Interestingly, these effects were found for both introverts and extraverts.

While the findings on conscientiousness are not surprising (hard work is hard work!), this is the first direct evidence suggesting that too much socializing is draining for everyone. Indeed, prior research has shown that in general, when under stress, tired, or living in crowded circumstances, people often choose to be alone if they can. This research also adds to a growing literature suggesting that in the moment, acting extraverted has the same consequences on mood for both introverts and extraverts. Taken together, all of this research suggests that for most humans on this planet, having a reasonable amount of social interaction and working hard toward goals makes people feel good, but too much of either tends to make people tired after a few hours.

Nevertheless, there are real differences between introverts and extraverts that shouldn't be ignored. For one, introverts really do prefer solitude and quiet time more, on average, than extraverts. Also, the latest science of introversion suggests that extraverts are more driven to engage in social interactions that particularly increase social status or social attention. Extraversion seems to be fueled by dopamine, particularly through the reward circuits of the brain that cause us to get excited by the possibility of "appetitive rewards" in the environment, such as money, power, sex, and social status.

This study didn't differentiate between the particular nature of the interactions, or the reward value of the interactions, but I predict that there would have been real differences between introverts and extraverts if these more nuanced variables had been assessed. For instance, perhaps introverts get more depleted quicker after having to engage in 'networking'. Or perhaps after too much social intensity, introverts retreat to solitude to recharge their batteries, whereas extraverts might seek out more social interactions with a smaller group of friends. All of these questions are ripe for future research.

Nevertheless, this is a neat little study that shows that deep down, we all find it draining having to talk to too many people, and having to work really, really hard. It's draining for all of us. This is something we can all bond over and discuss at the water cooler. Or not.

© 2016 Scott Barry Kaufman, All Rights Reserved

Note: It should be noted that this study had a small sample size (48 participants) and consisted mostly of females (41/48). So while this is definitely not the final word on this topic, I hope more researchers will look at ways in which we are united in our personalities, as well as the ways in which we differ.

The views expressed are those of the author(s) and are not necessarily those of Scientific American.

Scott Barry Kaufman
Scott Barry Kaufman is scientific director of the Imagination Institute and a researcher and lecturer at the Positive Psychology Center at the University of Pennsylvania. He conducts research on the measurement and development of imagination, creativity and play and teaches the popular undergraduate course Introduction to Positive Psychology at Pennsylvania. Kaufman is author of Ungifted: Intelligence Redefined (Basic Books, 2013) and co-author (with Carolyn Gregoire) of Wired to Create: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Creative Mind (Perigee, 2015).

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
do you see your friends every waking hour of every day?

do they all spend all of their time with you so you can observe them?

or do you see them only, or mostly, in their extroverted moments?

my point is your observations are probably heavily biased
All you're doing is making up bs terms so I can't tackle your arguments. If you believe what you're saying then how did you come to the conclusion that ENFPs are the most introverted? Or that other types aren't the most introverted?

·
Registered
15,514 Posts
@Aluminum Frost

Seriously, it makes no sense. First of all they're feelers so they have more of a need to connect with people whether it's Fe or Fi, the vast majority of them are enneagram 7, arguably the most extraverted enneagram type, most are either So variant or Sx variant doms. They have ESFP levels of energy and talk just as much, their schtik is that they're random and off the wall but somehow they're supposed to be the most introverted extrovert.

☆Ill take a stab at this -
Everyone has a need for human connection regardless function ( hence we are interacting and communicating on PerC- this is considered socializing in my agenda)

My fi is what makes me introverted- for Fi is like a systematic map that analyzes emotions and values . Fi means introspecting ones own emotions , feelings and identity and drawing a final conclusion from it. It's introverted bc it doesn't need any human interaction with anyone beside ITSELF - fi is also value oriented - so I do use it as a judgement tool - fi is introverted bc it is a function that help one understand their own internal strength and values. My fi is so damn strong that most introvert thought that im more introverted than they are bc I can go on for days without social interaction if inspired ( meaning no tv, no internet , no cell phone, traveling alone ) now don't get me wrong- I love people and I enjoy their presence , after all I'm a people person - however I can function with or without them for a long period of time.

7 means fear of boredom - I am energetic in the sense that if excited I can go on with my activities for weeks - as in traveling alone last minutely, writing my new play, spending the entire lunch hour analyzing and critiquing films or cognitive function not living by schedule or routine if possible. Talkative? I find introverts to be very talkative-its not type related. Sure I may talk more than my esfp cousin but I don't talk as much as my Istp partner ( ti when analyzing something or ti-ni loop - he can talk on for hours , hence we talk for 2-6 hours a night for the last 13 years)
I am highly energetic- I'm an extrovert after all - but no my energy level cannot beat an Se
Dom

I understand Ne is abstract and not really oriented towards people but rather ideas. But then why can't I say the same about Se? That it's just oriented to the outside world and not necessarily people? I understand ENFPs need alone time but this isn't unique to Ne doms, all extraverts need alone time to some degree.

☆Se- have the needs to experience everything with their 5 senses - which involves going out- breaking or changing the environment in some sense and has a stronger need for human relations. Ne- creates ideas and form connection- I find Se and Ne- to be similar in some sense , however Se a bit of a louder function example
My esfp cousin, some random kid and I were playing with Victorian dolls, I shook the doll and realized there is something in there
My esfp cousin decided to break the doll to see what's in it - I saw and was no longer curious- my cousin saw the reaction on her friends face and decided to break another doll .
SE dom - Enjoys changing their surrounding and feels energize when performing for a crowd -

If anything ENTJ or ESTJ should be the most introverted extravert considering they're Te doms and thinking is impersonal. Many look like introverts, are less excitable, can be cold. They display much more introvert traits than any other extravert. If we go by how extraverted a function is it should go Fe>Se>Ne>Te>Fi>Si>Ni>Ti so where does this idea that ENFPs are the most introverted extravert even come from? It fails from a theoretical standpoint and isn't true in real life either.

TE- gain energy through explaining, teaching and conversing about their logic - Te- has the need to organize and plan things relying on facts and external sources and needs of conclusion or finalizing - like how fi judges a conclusion inwardly on what align with their values - Te seeks external feedbacks for their conclusion ( hence making Te a more extroverted function than Ne )

Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,514 Posts
I have ENFP friends
Interesting- I am married to an istp I highly doubt my analyzation of him applies to all istp

·
Registered
15,514 Posts
"more introverted extrovert" simply means an extrovert who spends less time using his extroverted functions and more time using his introverted functions
I think this should sum up with why Ne-doms are the most introverted extrovert , the healthy one indulge in their aux function the unhealthy ones get trapped in their inferior

Reactions: ENFPurpleKitti

·
Banned
21,040 Posts
All you're doing is making up bs terms so I can't tackle your arguments. If you believe what you're saying then how did you come to the conclusion that ENFPs are the most introverted? Or that other types aren't the most introverted?
"bs terms" like "friends", "waking", and "day"?

I explained earlier why enfps might be the most introverted, including references to a couple of empirical studies...feel free to refer to those if you want to discuss further

41 - 60 of 151 Posts