Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean objectively they are similar since one is just more extroverted than the other, thus you would think that INTP would also be a near perfect match, but it isn't. Why is that?

I realize no match is 100% perfect, but we can agree that some types are more natural together

·
Registered
864 Posts
Personally, I don't think an ENTP would be a better match than an INTP. I really enjoy the company of INTPs, there was one that I would have dated (but the ENFP snatched me up first.) All the ENTPs I have met, I just don't see anything romantic working out.

I think it all comes down to personal preference. I vastly prefer ENFPs to ENTPs, they seem more authentic and...um...romantically stable to me. That's not to say I don't have and cherish my ENTP friends, I'd do anything for them, but I'd probably have to be medicated if I was dating them. :tongue:

At the end of the day, a person is more than their type, everything comes into play when it comes to a relationship. Favorite pasttimes, what your past was like, how the rest of the family gets along, the particular values you have and how strong they are, etc. If those things don't jive, then the "perfect pairing" isn't going to work anyway.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I might be biased as I'm seeing an ENTP right now and having the time of my life,
But personally I find ENTPs I know much more stimulating,
And able to take me out of my VERY thick shell :)

But either can work magically when with the right person :)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
ENTP is more exciting and expressive.
INTP is more relaxing and safe.

I seem to be attracted to ENTPs with especially good use of Ti, and INTPs with especially good use of Ne. If I compare the ENTPs I've been most attracted to to the INTPs I've been most attracted to, I don't know why, but the ENTPs get first place, every time.

That said, some times I wonder if its because I'm addicted to stimulation and not extremely concerned with stability in any sense of the word. I want safety... but ...i think i desire that fine line where instability proves to be safe.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I rather date an extrovert... I don't understand why introverts want to date other introverts, it's a horrible idea.
At least one of us needs to be sociable ?? xD

But it's totally up the individual, every one's different, and there is such a thing as ambivertion. Don't ever, ever feel restricted to your type, we're more than a definition. ;)

Any way, here's a chart:

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
I think I would like an introvert because they understand the value of alone time and introspection. Quiet time. lol. I'm an introvert and I can talk a person's ear off, but am usually quiet. INFJ's are supposedly often mistaken as extroverts. Conversation with an introvert would not be a problem for me because I can assume the role of an extrovert. I would think that INFJ's are one of the the most flexible dating types.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think if you took a large enough sample size of ENTP's/INTP's you would find one that fits your bill in each. If you were to compare me with my INTP friend you might think that she was the ENTP and I was the INTP because she is louder/ more expressive whereas I tend to look more pensive and quiet. However, if we were both at a bar, the loud music would drive her insane and I would be calmly talking to random people and playing foosball.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
I don't think an ENTP would be any better, I'm in a relationship with an INTP right now and it's awesome. I think it's a great combination, at least for me it is.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I would like an introvert because they understand the value of alone time and introspection. Quiet time. lol. I'm an introvert and I can talk a person's ear off, but am usually quiet. INFJ's are supposedly often mistaken as extroverts. Conversation with an introvert would not be a problem for me because I can assume the role of an extrovert. I would think that INFJ's are one of the the most flexible dating types.
I feel this strongly relates to my current situation. Right now I'm in a common law relationship with an ENTP its pretty serious. But I'm starting to fall out of love because I find him incredibly needy, and almost dependent on my for happiness since he is madly in love. I feel overwhelmed now because I feel he is holding me back from feeling free.

Recently we got a new roommate who is an INTP and I feel like we instantly had chemistry, so much so that my gut says hes a much much better mate for me and that I will be happier in the longer term. He makes me laugh, is extremely bright, and actively challenges and adds on to my own imagination. I really feel like I could love him, but I feel like I have to hold back because I have such an intense commitment to my SO. I feel like i'm betraying him by admitting I don't love him, that I loved him for his security, possible wealth (Chem Eng. major) I still love him, but there's so much baggage in the way.

One thing about this INTP is that I genuinely feel like i'd be perfectly contended in life with him, even if we lived in destitution (Not ideal lololol) like I would ditch all my dream of having a rich husband for him in a heartbeat. Plus why the hell should i depend on anyone financially, i'm pretty employable and talented in my own right.

Its a difficult situation that will lead to hurt feelings. What should I do? I feel like i'm divorcing someone I used to love more. :crying:

Reactions: FearAndTrembling

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
I feel this strongly relates to my current situation. Right now I'm in a common law relationship with an ENTP its pretty serious. But I'm starting to fall out of love because I find him incredibly needy, and almost dependent on my for happiness since he is madly in love. I feel overwhelmed now because I feel he is holding me back from feeling free.

Recently we got a new roommate who is an INTP and I feel like we instantly had chemistry, so much so that my gut says hes a much much better mate for me and that I will be happier in the longer term. He makes me laugh, is extremely bright, and actively challenges and adds on to my own imagination. I really feel like I could love him, but I feel like I have to hold back because I have such an intense commitment to my SO. I feel like i'm betraying him by admitting I don't love him, that I loved him for his security, possible wealth (Chem Eng. major) I still love him, but there's so much baggage in the way.

One thing about this INTP is that I genuinely feel like i'd be perfectly contended in life with him, even if we lived in destitution (Not ideal lololol) like I would ditch all my dream of having a rich husband for him in a heartbeat. Plus why the hell should i depend on anyone financially, i'm pretty employable and talented in my own right.

Its a difficult situation that will lead to hurt feelings. What should I do? I feel like i'm divorcing someone I used to love more. :crying:
As an INFJ, you are very sensitive to others feelings, so I know it is difficult. I'm sure you feel guilt. You obviously want out; I don't think it is fair to the guy you are in a current relationship with to continue it though, knowing your feelings. The more time goes by, the harder it will be to break, and the more it will hurt the parties involved. So yeah, you need to make a decision sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As an INFJ, you are very sensitive to others feelings, so I know it is difficult. I'm sure you feel guilt. You obviously want out; I don't think it is fair to the guy you are in a current relationship with to continue it though, knowing your feelings. The more time goes by, the harder it will be to break, and the more it will hurt the parties involved. So yeah, you need to make a decision sooner rather than later.
I've been growing this courage slowly, especially with Mr. INTP around. I always thought it would be the safest option to pick a man who can provide for me and a future family. This is still a very valid POV I have, but I actually think I could start supporting myself and INTP can do his thing. He's been living her for 3 weeks and already hes got a job.... which he applied for today... and will work 40 hours....

That actually happened within the last few hours, so when he left I was anxious because if he doesn't get a job in X months he might have to go back to montreal. But nope he surpassed all my expectations in a huge landslide :D

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
I've been growing this courage slowly, especially with Mr. INTP around. I always thought it would be the safest option to pick a man who can provide for me and a future family. This is still a very valid POV I have, but I actually think I could start supporting myself and INTP can do his thing. He's been living her for 3 weeks and already hes got a job.... which he applied for today... and will work 40 hours....

That actually happened within the last few hours, so when he left I was anxious because if he doesn't get a job in X months he might have to go back to montreal. But nope he surpassed all my expectations in a huge landslide :D
I am very safety oriented myself, but not when it comes to choosing partners. My methodology, is much more....spiritual. I don't care about career or any of that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've seen INFJ females get recommended with male INTPs in at least one source (Love Types by A. Avila) but I'm not sure how much "better" an INTP would be than an ENTP if you are trying to look at it from a purely theoretical standpoint.

The INFJ will have issues with the INTP's lack of extraverted sensing and preference for introverted sensing. Basically where the INFJ has the burning passion to better themselves and reach for something more, something tangible...the INTP will be content with a comfortable situation and be willing to settle for less than perfect circumstances. Keep in mind INTPs are the bums who are stereotypically ok with living in their moms basement if they are happy with what they've got. (I'm not saying ALL INTPs are like this exactly, but, the tendency to stay comfortable is usually a need they will have). INFJs like to push for more, push for better. It is a slight difference I've noticed that can cause long term conflict when the INFJ realizes they want more and the INTP doesn't care.

An ENTP on the other hand would be more likely to want to follow along and although they aren't using Extraverted Sensing they are still being pushed to change from a stronger Extraverted Intuition which can make it work better with an INFJ.

Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, functions don't always dictate behaviours and the individual always makes the difference! If you like this INTP better give it a shot, but, I wouldn't do it just because INFJ's might get along better with INTPs :p

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
You make us sound very boring. :)
hmmmm. You are right. I suppose this is just my personal perception coming through of the INTP type as a whole. I'd say, about 70% of the INTPs I meet, I do find them rather boring. There is usually a healthy respect that goes along with it, though, and I like how they think. It's the 30% that I don't find boring that are just phenomenal to me :)-- constantly trying to figure out how things work, looking at social things and emotions from a charming stand point, and their demeanor is so laid back and unassuming that it's as easy as breathing to be around and awfully refreshing. so smart :blushed:.

So I won't deny that I find many INTPs boring, but I think it is important to note as well that some are among the most interesting creatures I've ever come across. very appealing indeed.

If I didn't have my ENTP, I would more than likely find myself daydreaming about those rare INTPs...

Ne and Ti in ample amounts is just crazy attractive to me O.O.

·
Banned
964 Posts
hmmmm. You are right. I suppose this is just my personal perception coming through of the INTP type as a whole. I'd say, about 70% of the INTPs I meet, I do find them rather boring. There is usually a healthy respect that goes along with it, though, and I like how they think. It's the 30% that I don't find boring that are just phenomenal to me :)-- constantly trying to figure out how things work, looking at social things and emotions from a charming stand point, and their demeanor is so laid back and unassuming that it's as easy as breathing to be around and awfully refreshing. so smart :blushed:.

So I won't deny that I find many INTPs boring, but I think it is important to note as well that some are among the most interesting creatures I've ever come across. very appealing indeed.

If I didn't have my ENTP, I would more than likely find myself daydreaming about those rare INTPs...

Ne and Ti in ample amounts is just crazy attractive to me O.O.
Haha well I can see why you might find most INTPs boring. I only really talk to people I already know well, so most people don't know much about me (back in school, everyone outside my small group of friends only saw me as a maths/science nerd who had a terrible fashion sense and occasionally came out with some weirdly hilarious comment - but there's more to me than that. Not much, but a bit haha.).

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think the main issue here is that people try to be theoretical about something which in it's nature is so far from theoretical it can be.

I find that I oscillate between Ne and Ti as a primary. The only thing which bring me to being an E is that i DEFINETELY have a very low Si.

In my interaction with INFJ, I find that I have to tap into Fe to understand when it is right to use Ne and when it is right to use Ti. Understanding of Fe is the key - you use it to discern what to feed the INFJ with in a particular moment.

Clinging to a specific order of functional use in my view lean toward an uncontrolled ego - and this will bring ruin to any relationship if it isn't cured before or as you progress. For NTP's what they need is knowing empathy and letting it direct your communication.

So yeah, the best type between the two is the one which is best developed and matches all the other stuff people usually forget: Relatively similar cultural makeup, interests, reference points, values, life direction, etc.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I think the real question is "Why aren't ENTP's a good match?" Cause we're perfect. :)

haha just kidding.

I don't base who I date on mbti. Date who you want. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts