Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why is it widely considered hot for men to be brooding (aka "the smolder") but not for women?

It's difficult to even find a female pic that is similar...

Women are usually portrayed with more softness and sexuality as what is "attractive"...

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Why is it widely considered hot for men to be brooding (aka "the smolder") but not for women?

View attachment 883402 View attachment 883404
View attachment 883405

It's difficult to even find a female pic that is similar...
View attachment 883407 View attachment 883408
View attachment 883410

Women are usually portrayed with more softness and sexuality as what is "attractive"...
View attachment 883409

Because it's stupid. What do you think?

·
Registered
ENTJ 7w8 sx/so
8,495 Posts
I thought brooding was a mood moreso than a look and yes, there probably are a significant group of women who like quiet brooding men and yes, many men do want a woman who is smiling(optimistic) as such a woman is more likely to be agreeable and supportive.

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought brooding was a mood moreso than a look and yes, there probably are a significant group of women who like quiet brooding men and yes, many men do want a woman who is smiling(optimistic) as such a woman is more likely to be agreeable and supportive.
Yes, the studies have already shown this and it is widely used in modeling, advertising, etc. already for a reason. I'm asking why though.

Reactions: Scoobyscoob

·
Registered
ENTJ 7w8 sx/so
8,495 Posts
Yes, the studies have already shown this and it is widely used in modeling, advertising, etc. already for a reason. I'm asking why though.
Well, opposites attract? Even though for LTR that's been proven to be mostly untrue but for attractiveness and advertising it's good enough? I guess if I were to take a guess I'd say most women are kind of wired to seek a stable and productive man so maybe having a disposition of seeming serious and thoughtful is seen as desirable?

I've already stated why I think men like women who smile a lot. Although I guess if I think how seeing a woman smile vs looking glum and unhappy... I want to be near a woman who is happy and smiling but I want to help a woman who looks sad/worried or otherwise down. So maybe women who smile a lot don't have a bunch of white knights trying to help her out of some perceived distress and thus attracts more men as a consequence?

If you asked around enough you'd probably find some patterns but I'm guessing the attraction is mostly instinctive so the reasoning will differ widely.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I think this response is stupid.
It's considered hot .... because of reasons...what do you think?
Do you think people actually stop and think "oh, why, there must be a girl that's hot when's brooding...oh no wait, that's a boy.."
They've just seen them and accustomed to them and are used to the idea that one of them is hot and the other one is not.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Whenever I see a woman with that face I'm wondering how unproperly fucked and sexually frustrated must be + what kind of daddy issues she still has.

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's considered hot .... because of reasons...what do you think?
Do you think people actually stop and think
Believe it or not, kiddo, yes - some people actually do think beyond "because reasons." In fact, if you didn't notice, that is actually the point of this thread.

Reactions: Inveniet

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My initial thought was that perhaps it ties in with the "bad boy" stereotypes. Perhaps it's interpreted as toughness, strength, or dominance, and thus associated with protection. If this is the case, it would tie in with traits from the Dark Triad.

Studies have shown that women generally demonstrate a preference for short term and long term partners with said traits. They have also shown that men demonstrate a preference for short term partners with psychopathy.

·
Registered
ENTJ 7w8 sx/so
8,495 Posts
My initial thought was that perhaps it ties in with the "bad boy" stereotypes. Perhaps it's interpreted as toughness, strength, or dominance, and thus associated with protection. If this is the case, it would tie in with traits from the Dark Triad.

Studies have shown that women generally demonstrate a preference for short term and long term partners with said traits. They have also shown that men demonstrate a preference for short term partners with psychopathy.

I skimmed over that research paper and the only claim it seems to make is that men with psychopathic tendencies have casual sex more often. I think this may be a case of, there are two types of women out there. Those who like psychopaths and those who don't. There's also probably not a lot of co-mingling between them either. :LOL:

·
Registered
INFP 6w5 629 sp/sx
2,104 Posts
I thought the scienceofpeople article did a good enough job at explaining it.

Also, what @Scoobyscoob said was good:
"If you asked around enough you'd probably find some patterns but I'm guessing the attraction is mostly instinctive"

That just seems like a fact of life.

Perhaps instead the questions are:
why is masculinity attractive to women?
gender roles and biological differences

why is agreeableness seen as an attractive trait in women?
gender roles and biological differences

or why is attraction mostly instinctive?
natural selection

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Believe it or not, kiddo, yes - some people actually do think beyond "because reasons." In fact, if you didn't notice, that is actually the point of this thread.
Okay, but you're reinforcing stereotypes.
It's like you're asking why girls like tall guys or why guys like girls with a higher pitch ... well, good luck.
The answer to all of them is because that's what they all have seen... and they think they should like.

Give them a wildly different stereotype from birth to high school and their answers will be different.

·
Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
6,234 Posts
Well, opposites attract? Even though for LTR that's been proven to be mostly untrue but for attractiveness and advertising it's good enough? I guess if I were to take a guess I'd say most women are kind of wired to seek a stable and productive man so maybe having a disposition of seeming serious and thoughtful is seen as desirable?

I've already stated why I think men like women who smile a lot. Although I guess if I think how seeing a woman smile vs looking glum and unhappy... I want to be near a woman who is happy and smiling but I want to help a woman who looks sad/worried or otherwise down. So maybe women who smile a lot don't have a bunch of white knights trying to help her out of some perceived distress and thus attracts more men as a consequence?

If you asked around enough you'd probably find some patterns but I'm guessing the attraction is mostly instinctive so the reasoning will differ widely.
Yeah, I've noticed males tend to want to do the white knight syndrome less than females wanting to be the angelic savior. I've wondered if it has to do with their self-esteem but I know it has more to do with traditional roles. Though I know some have linked this trait to NPD but I think it's not that easily defined. I know a lot of "angelic savior types" getting attracted to the NPD characteristic, they have to save them and they make excuses for the other person's bad behavior. Still, it's almost a compulsive need to be the rescuer in an intimate relationship originating from early life experiences that left them traumatized by a previous caregiver. Being that I'm a type 2w3 (caregiver) when I'm unhealthy it's hard not to fall into this trap to want to fix someone. They always have higher empathy and can be taken advantage of. I just see this more common in females than males, probably due to social constructs of the patriarchal society places both on male and female traditional roles. So in conclusion from that thought process, since women are socialized to be emotional caretakers in relationships (with societal boundaries and training from birth), it makes sense that they demonstrate signs of White Knight Syndrome in their relationships and go after the "broody males". This posturing probably has made other males see it as the ability to attract a mate and therefore has set a beauty trend within most societies. (except example below)

Also, don't get me wrong. I think it's completely fine for females and males to pick and chose which role they want to be within a relationship. It's almost healthy to recognize if you're a sub or dom. Some females are doms and like sub males and then vise versa. Then there are the people in the middle, they can be both roles.

It's interesting in societies where females could be considered strong like the "Vikings" males could be related as more feminine and soft. I know the typical RARW Viking with horns and slamming down a mug of mead, shouting out argggg "pillage, burn the village down," is the "typical" representation of what they were supposed to be but if you look at history that wasn't really the case. Many Norse stories depict women’s honor being protected and any fabled acts of aggression or sexual assault are generally met with ax to the head. In fact, male Vikings had softer jawlines that gave them a more feminine appearance, and conversely, female Vikings had a more pronounced bone structure in the ridges above the eyes, giving them a more masculine look. So in this case, females were sought after for being "broody looking".

·
Premium Member
44,551 Posts
There was a guy who told mum she was probably a very nice person. Mum asked why. He replied that she went around and smiled to people all the time 😁

Reactions: Inluuk20
1 - 20 of 50 Posts