Personality Cafe banner

Why is it wrong to only bring natural gifted intellectualism to the table?

2K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  SoulScream 
#1 ·
I dont get it....I've lived my entire life on my talents now that I meet these hardworkers I'm losing ground, losing to people whos I.Qs are lower than mine

what rules and lawsdid I miss about my giftedness

who were gifted and talented success story Icons I can read up on(success stories)

please give me some links to pdf files and the such to overcome this

and please spread your wings on the sub ject as to why its wrong to only bring natural gifted intellectualism to the table

Bits of backround: I usually win everything just with pure talented and natural giftedness , I have had hardworking sessions to reach this point but I'm still losing against these guys, what is different?

Reactions: Narcissus
#4 ·
It depends on where you're trying to excel. If it's something like business, you have to add hard work and some creativity and intuitiveness in with the intelligence. As others have said, intelligence has to be aided by hard work, the same way hard work has to be aided by intelligence. Either one on its own will get you nowhere.

#31 · (Edited)
I have the same feeling. To be impressive, I strive to be humble. I try to make my "light so dim that it is illustrious," my "footsteps so quiet that they are thunderous." I don't seek to compare my light to another light, (they have years and hours of hardwork) I compare myself to how I was the day before the week before, that is where true progress comes from.

My motivation doesn't come from impressing another, that motivation is fickle and holds zero holding power. However, by impressing myself and I will want to take one more step forward and keep moving forward.

Reactions: Bnova and Blue Soul
#6 ·
Natural talent is only a head start. Without training or teaching, you'll fall behind the rest.

I was superior to my brother in violin when I was 9 years old, my brother being 11 at the time. It was all because of natural talent, and our violin teacher knew that. However, I was lazy and didn't really practice, meanwhile, my brother always practiced diligently. In high school, he was first chair of our highest orchestra, did several solos, got gold at state, etc. I never did that well in high school with violin and only got into the highest orchestra because I switched to viola.

Natural talent is a powerful thing. Never let it go to waste if it's a passion and train in it everyday.

#9 ·
Not to be rude, but you sound a bit cocksure - a bit like a stereotype INTJ.

As others have said though, hard work and intelligence are the two ingredients to make it through the workforce. Heck! I would also throw in a dash of networking since knowing high people can get you more advantages within the workplace. While intelligence is nice, I think employers tend to prefer hard-work since they tend to be more diligent on a job than a lazy smart aleck.

#10 ·
If you are talking about the work place then you need to pay attention to the metrics that the employers are measuring your work by. It may not be 'insight' as that is hard to quantify. 'productivity' is the most common metric, in whatever units apply to your job and that's also a mindset even when productivity is not clearly singled out. What can you contribute to the engine of commerce?

#11 ·
IQ don't mean diddly.

And, it's not that it's wrong to bring 'naturally giftedness' to the table, it's that it doesn't really exist as you are defining it.

What gives someone a propensity for something has a lot more to do with a lot of different variables fitting in at the right time and place.

Mostly, it's interest, and a willingness to learn, take chances, make mistakes.

But, what's also very important with learning is discipline. Persistence. Stick-to-itiveness.

How one is raised, and what they're exposed to, and how they react to exposure, also has a lot to do with it.

#14 · (Edited)
I had similar problems in high school. Actually, to the point where I ended up having horrible maturity grade exam scores and unable to go to public college. (I also had lots of absences so being able to easily absorb stuff by just being on lessons didn't help.)

Much later I realised that one is much more likely to do things that one does, than do other things. So, I started reaching for textbooks when doing pauses from computer (a 15 minutes pause every 45minutes) and this way I was studying more and more and more until I could study a few hours every day.

IQ don't mean diddly.

And, it's not that it's wrong to bring 'naturally giftedness' to the table, it's that it doesn't really exist as you are defining it.
No. IQ means a lot. An intelligent person when working as hard as someone of average intelligence can easily absorb high-school level material in primary school and start doing college-level stuff much earlier. The problem is that school systems tend to encourage waste of potential and lack of discipline by neglecting gifted students.

#15 ·
I had similar problems in high school. Actually, to the point where I ended up having horrible maturity grade exam scores and unable to go to public college. (I also had lots of absences so being able to easily absorb stuff by just being on lessons didn't help.)

Much later I realised that one is much more likely to do things that one does, than do other things. So, I started reaching for textbooks when doing pauses from computer (a 15 minutes pause every 45minutes) and this way I was studying more and more and more until I could study a few hours every day.
thats the same thing thats happening to me! :-0

or it did happen until i left high school for alternative education to try and force the stuff into my own hands and i thought maybe that would get me working again-_- the plan failed so the calculated risk didnt pay off but thx for the advice!!!

I'll be starting with my national certificate course soon in Crime Scene Investigation which is an 18 month course NQF level 5 so maybe this will kill my boredom? i dunno but its worth a shot

#17 · (Edited)
I dont get it....I've lived my entire life on my talents now that I meet these hardworkers I'm losing ground, losing to people whos I.Qs are lower than mine
Please correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't your 'entire life' less than 18yrs? If so, then you've hardly lived it based on your talent. I think your parents have had a lot to do with your survival to date. :rolleyes:

Could it be that this is the first time you've ever had to really achieve anything and are stunned and shocked that actually you can't just wing it and effort is required?

#20 ·
That's what I thought, too.

Also, if you're looking for correlation between I.Q. and success in life measured by standards like career trajectory, education level, income, etc, you're in for a rough awakening: the most successful (not necessarily happy, although I'd be interested to see data) people are bright but not specifically so.

Reactions: chanteuse
#19 ·
To answer the original question: because sheer dogged persistence with a small amount of natural talent will beat the lazy used to be child geniuses, now sitting in a shady corner of the pub drowning beers while complaining about how nobody understands them and appreciates their brightness, EVERY BLOODY TIME.

Reactions: chanteuse
#23 ·
That's why the school system that allows child geniuses to work less hard than people with average intelligence is criminal.

#24 ·
ultimate wisdom and knowledge to receive and get whatever it is I'm suppose to get or desire, or to use that wisdom and knowledge to aid the future of humanity,animals,arts,sciences and nature which is proibably the hardest thing to do, writing this now i received a mental image of a cross road, the road im coming from left is myself, right is the world and i cant see whats ahead-_-?????????

#29 ·
Read The Talent Code About The Books « The Talent Code

Pure natural talent and gifts will only take you so far, after that the people that work at it in the right manner day after day will eventually catch up and surpass someone who is sitting back and not growing. The difference becomes larger and larger the older you get. Imagine a super star athlete that never worked out or showed up to practices, it wouldn't take too long before they were sitting on the bench. It's the same on the intellectual level, if you never challenge yourself you'll never get better and the others around you that are doing that will improve and very likely eventually pass you up and you will have a very difficult time catching back up because they already have the momentum going.

#32 ·
Because the truth is, as valuable as gifted ability is, it's the hard work day in and day out that keeps a nation, career, or individual running smoothly.

But there is an aspect of hard work that gets confused sometimes. Hard work is going to be "hard" some of the time, but it doesn't have to suck all the time. A lot of what hard work boils down to is persistence through adversity.

Adversity can be anything from the struggle to get up in the morning to the struggle to push one's physical limits to the struggle to endure one more boring meeting.

What really fucks with us is when adversity has no greater goal than pushing through it. The guy whose only motivation to push through the boring meeting is to avoid getting fired is probably going to have a more difficult time persisting than the guy whose motivation is to get through the boring meeting, so that he can get back to work and put out the kind of results that will get him promoted.

The latter guy is working toward positive change in his future, so that motivates him. The former guy is just trying to hang onto what he has now, which he isn't even a fan of, so he's barely keeping it together.

#34 ·
This makes me think about the growth mindset :D

#35 ·
Most people are not as smart as you and society is built according to their values

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.