Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've heard. Generally, people with self-confidence are more attractive and likable. They are also perceived as more successful and intelligent. A friend told me that when you go to an interview, one of the first thing the interviewer noticed is the interviewee's confidence level, which can be shown by a firm handshake, great projection of voice and eye contacts. What are some other examples self-confidence is important in the business field?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
It helps establish trust. It is impossible to trust business owners who do not genuinely and thoroughly trust in themselves and in the product they are selling. The same applies to interviewees; in that case the product they are selling is themselves.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Business is all about raising the bar higher while taking on the added responsibility that comes with it. You not only have to be quick with your decisions but you have a business to run, or in my case, two. If you don't have confidence in yourself, your team and what you're doing then there is no way you're going to be able to overcome the obstacles you face every day as a business owner.

Now, the interviewer knows the vision of the business owner... if you aren't selling yourself in a way that aligns with the vision of the company, the company wants nothing to do with you. You have to show intense dedication and passion about working at X place. That's all anyone really wants. They just want to know that you're on their side and will work hard to move the company forward.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
So I've heard. Generally, people with self-confidence are more attractive and likable. They are also perceived as more successful and intelligent. A friend told me that when you go to an interview, one of the first thing the interviewer noticed is the interviewee's confidence level, which can be shown by a firm handshake, great projection of voice and eye contacts. What are some other examples self-confidence is important in the business field?
because business requires people to make tough decisions, some of which include taking the lesser of two evils. making tough decisions requires confidence

·
Banned
2,975 Posts
People think those who are more self-confident must have a logical reason for thinking they are better than others. In actual fact the two aren't correlated at all and can often be inversely correlated. For instance if you look at predictions for the future the more confident people say they are about a specific prediction the LESS likely it is to be true. Real life is probabilistic in nature and intelligent people always express predictions as a range of possible outcomes, but people value certainty even when those who are more certain are statistically more likely to be less accurate.

·
Banned
2,975 Posts
For more background, it would help to understand that humans are both Risk Adverse AND Ambiguity Adverse. This results in people discounting payoffs which contain increase risk OR increased ambiguity even when the expected value of those payoffs would be higher than the certain payoff. Since logically accurate representations of the world require both risk and ambiguity they are often disfavored over more seemingly certain representations which are less accurate. Self-confidence is a TRICK to make us believe there is less risk and uncertainty associated with an individual even though their self-confidence obviously does not give them any real ability to make the future and less uncertain.

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
People tend to place more trust and confidence in a person who exhibits confidence. If a person expresses doubt in their position, others will express doubt in the person. It's pretty straight-forward.

·
Banned
3,344 Posts
Rather than focusing on the superficiality of trying to impress people and emotionally manipulate them, here's a video that gives you some proper insights as to the benefits of confidence:

Reactions: Vivafara
1 - 9 of 9 Posts