Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have probably been threads about this already but I haven't paid attention. :laughing:

4, sure. 4 is definitely a feeling type. But 2? 2 is affectionate and they can be dramatic but aren't they usually in denial of negative feelings? 2 seems like a type that any feelings and qualities that aren't nice and compatible with their image will be brushed under the rug. And 3... well I don't need to explain why 3 isn't a feeling type. :laughing:

·
Banned
710 Posts
I'm not certain, but it seems like it would be because their primary motivation is recognition, affection. The image types are most dependent on others' approval to satisfy their core desire. In that sense they are more feeling than the other triads - they are vulnerable socially.

Head types concern themselves with things that aren't necessarily social - knowledge, security, new sensation. Then, the body triad tends to focus on channeling, satisfying their instincts. Lust, peace, reform - although lust is primal and reform is abstract, these things aren't really related to feeling.

Of course we all get emotional about whether our core desires have been sated, it just seems that image type's core desires are directly more based in the emotions that one feels socially. In this sense I suppose I mean the heart triad is more responsive.

If you told a nine that what they were doing was not particularly helpful, they would shrug it off unless you somehow threatened their peace. If you told a two, they might get angry, guilty, anxious - at any rate you would get a direct emotional response.

I'm not sure that makes total sense, it seems to work in my head though. :wink:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
2,3,4 is also known as the Heart triad and can be about relationships and thus how we see one another falls under this area.

2s are about an image of being helpful to other people. The Pride issue within a 2 can be seen as, "Look at all this stuff I do for other people," and thus is about an image being projected onto others.

3s are about an image of accomplishment and recognition. While not necessarily top dog, they do interpret the world through relationships and hunger for that fame and recognition which can be seen as emotional in a sense.

4s are about an image of being different and unique. Thus, here again there is something to be said for how they are seen and external forces helping them interpret the world.

Check out some of the Hurley and Donson books for more on the idea of under-actualized centers as I suspect you are coming from that angle where in this case 2s are Responders where Thinking is under-actualized, 3s are Go-Getters where Feeling is under-actualized and 4s are Introspectives where Doing is under-actualized. However, all 3 interpret the world through their Heart rather than Head or Gut.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I'm not certain, but it seems like it would be because their primary motivation is recognition, affection. The image types are most dependent on others' approval to satisfy their core desire. In that sense they are more feeling than the other triads - they are vulnerable socially.
That's actually spot on. From @Dying Acedia:

Image Ego (Emotional Center; Living Group) - "Friend or foe?"

Image Ego is a response to the Relation instinct (association). We develop concerns for how others appear to us, adopting an image-persona in order to play a social role. The Image Ego works with likes and dislikes (as these are our responses to friends and foes). This area is associated with hatred.

You may develop a primary fixation here if you feel insecure in your relations during childhood.
It does seem more feeling-oriented than other triads, though not necessarily in the typical Feeler sense. All three types are more concerned with approval, recognition, acceptance, being liked/disliked as well as liking/disliking others. And yes, we are very vulnerable socially.

That said, I don't like the label. Image triad is a lot more fitting IMO, and it helps remind that Fours are not simply concerned with their emotions (which is something any Fi-dom or Fi-secondary would relate to).

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's actually spot on. From @Dying Acedia:

It does seem more feeling-oriented than other triads, though not necessarily in the typical Feeler sense. All three types are more concerned with approval, recognition, acceptance, being liked/disliked as well as liking/disliking others. And yes, we are very vulnerable socially.

That said, I don't like the label. Image triad is a lot more fitting IMO, and it helps remind that Fours are not simply concerned with their emotions (which is something any Fi-dom or Fi-secondary would relate to).
I agree that Image is the most accurate title.

I just wish the Feeling title was more self-explanatory because I like to introduce the three centers as Thinking, Feeling, and Doing. Doing definitely ties in with Gut and Thinking definitely ties in with Head but when you say Feeling ties in with Heart it makes it sounds like the types are more emotional than the other types, which is only true for 4.

·
Registered
852 Posts
To anyone within the heart center their image is everything to them and has a much bigger significance within their lives than it does for any other center. The other 2 centers really dont deal that much with their self image, the mind center trivializes it while the body center is a sleep to it.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I don't think image is about affection. I think it's about acknowledgment.

Affection is a form of acknowledgment. So is fear. So is envy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.