Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reason #1: You know its true but the whole idea of having to explain it to someone defeats you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Reason #1: You know its true but the whole idea of having to explain it to someone defeats you.
How does having to explain it to someone "defeat" you? Intps are great at explaining things. Explanations for things are intp's stronghold, if anything. Instead of saying it defeats you, why wouldn't you take pride in being able to explain things so very well to people, including yourself?

There is no one being "defeated" here. There is only knowledge being shared, and being taken by those with an open mind to apply it, assuming it makes sense, or is in fact, "knowledge". If you value learning, explanations to, and from people are victories for both parties.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
How does having to explain it to someone "defeat" you? Intps are great at explaining things. Explanations for things are intp's stronghold, if anything. Instead of saying it defeats you, why wouldn't you take pride in being able to explain things so very well to people, including yourself?

There is no one being "defeated" here. There is only knowledge being shared, and being taken by those with an open mind to apply it, assuming it makes sense, or is in fact, "knowledge". If you value learning, explanations to, and from people are victories for both parties.
And the gauntlet is thrown.

My INTP friend hates explaining things to stupid people, so sometimes he just gives up before he starts because he knows they won't understand. It's mostly because he has such detailed and technical knowledge of the topic he's discussing that he'd have to go through five miles of background information first. Part of why we get along is because I have enough of an interest in things he likes to be able to both keep up and provide relevant analysis where needed. He's a 4w5 though.

Of course, the 6w5 has lectured me for an hour straight on Japanese inks, and the 5/8 (I literally have no clue, he says 5, probably 5w6, but tests 8) is probably the best at an even give-and-take in explaining and asking questions. That kinda depends on the topic we're discussing though- sometimes I just ask tons of questions and he answers them.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
One of the strongest attributes of being INTP in my opinion is having a crazy strong compulsive desire to explain things, but failing miserably to do so adequately.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't really think it's important for INTPs to get people to think in the same lines as they do. They really just want to explain it for themselves, and as INTPs rarely cares about what other thinks about their thoughts, they couldn't care less about wether they think the same as they do. However they would want understanding for their viewpoints and will have valid arguments for their thoughts, but they are mainly reminders for themselves and nothing premade for the public to get to know.

Yeah, I know this sounds like a big bunch of mess, but it makes sence to me. Perfect example of what I just explained, lol ..

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
My disinclination to explain things to people is a question of unwillingness, not inability.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I do give up explaining things to people whom I know do not have the capacity to understand or those who have the inability to accept my point of view.
The second type of people definitely get to my nerve because they do understand things if they want to but they get so stuck up with their ego that they don't want to listen to anything I have to say.
So I give up because I know there's no use as the opposite person who never accept defeat. And I don't care about winning or losing so I walk away. And then those people believe they won but I couldn't care less about such mindset of people who are unwilling to learn.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Depends on my mood and the audience predisposition.

Sometimes i just explain things to others to make my thoughts and theories clearer in my mind.

If information is rejected without analysis i just walk away from that topic or literally leave.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts