Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone please explain this if you can... I totally identify with the ENFJ's out here that say they have super ecclectic musical tastes... I'll be been known to listen rock 'n roll, hip hop, rap, R&B, electronica, ska, and swing all in one session, and love every bit of it...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hmm, that's a good question since I'm the same way. It could be because, like people, we can see (or hear in this case) the beauty of each song regardless of how different they may be from another? Plus, I have a song for every moment, every friend, every emotion, in fact, I would have to say that music tends to describe my inner most feelings better than I can voice them out at times. Anyhoo, that's just my opinion. Here's an example of how different my musical tastes may vary much to the suprise of others:
I heard these guys at a club in Baton Rouge while attending LSU. Great stuff for the weekend, bayou style!

YouTube - The Red Stick Ramblers - Made in the Shade

This reminds of me of just chillin' and feelin' a groove.

YouTube - Zero 7 "Destiny"

And one of my favorite bands, what can I say, I'm a product of the Grunge Era.

YouTube - Alice In Chains - Heaven Beside You

·
Registered
50 Posts
Let me try to explain this for me.:unsure: (scratching my head)

Well....words are like a paintbrush, and the music is the canvas that they use.:happy: Although my taste is all over the place, there are certain songs that......gosh.....the words combined with the melody are like...well they hit that sweet spot. It's like putting a juicy strawberry together with dark chocolate. Yummy!! And in order to find songs like that, it's like an art dealer that has to drive all over the world to find those great peices. This is the best way I know to explain it. So IMHO, this is why I have an eclectic music collection. I'm looking for priceless art!!! We're music 'Pickers'! Lol!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Someone please explain this if you can... I totally identify with the ENFJ's out here that say they have super ecclectic musical tastes... I'll be been known to listen rock 'n roll, hip hop, rap, R&B, electronica, ska, and swing all in one session, and love every bit of it...
Maybe it has something to do with age/culture. Based on your musical taste alone, I'm getting the impression you live somewhere like California.When I was a teen in CA, I was all about pop, hip hop, alternative, and a liiiitle bit of ska (as I chased after the skater boys :wink:).

But then I moved to the East Coast. I've started feeling and dreaming like more... womanly so to speak, especially having grown up and engage in long-term realtionships. Regina Spektor, Sara Barailles, Leona Lewis, even.

Beautiful women with deep messages and gorgeous voices are the best for my soul.

But I still love my pop, feel good hip-hop, techno, and indies are the best.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oh and if you're into experimental/ecceclectic bands, try The Cat Empire. You'll sing, you'll dance, you'll cry, you'll giggle. You'll mellow way out. That's what it does for me.
YouTube - The Cat Empire - Song for Elias

Reactions: Benedox

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oh and if you're into experimental/ecceclectic bands, try The Cat Empire. You'll sing, you'll dance, you'll cry, you'll giggle. You'll mellow way out. That's what it does for me.
YouTube - The Cat Empire - Song for Elias

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I love all Music. actually i just lied, I like everything EXCEPT country! Country music should be euthanized.. im just saying...

as for everything else I do love it all, of course i enjoy some more then others, idk why, but some beats/form make me happier then others, and the happier a song makes me the more ill like it.

techno/idustrial/electronic is my favorite.
Reggae comes next,
then all forms of rock except metal.
hiphop/r&b
international taste
metal/misc

·
Registered
243 Posts
I love all Music. actually i just lied, I like everything EXCEPT country! Country music should be euthanized.. im just saying...
I was enjoying this thread until...:sad: I thought I should step in to defend country music since county music is not here to defend itself. So Kalifornia310 why no love for country music? Is it that poopy stuff you hear on the radio? I don't think that's country music; it's like some sort of southern pop. I don't like that stuff, either. There's real country out there, some pure, some mixed with different sub-genres sort of like taking sugar with medicine-makes it go down a little easier. :laughing:

I liked the Red Stick Ramblers video. Really neat look.

I will now return to the INFP forum.:wink:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was enjoying this thread until...:sad: I thought I should step in to defend country music since county music is not here to defend itself. So Kalifornia310 why no love for country music? Is it that poopy stuff you hear on the radio? I don't think that's country music; it's like some sort of southern pop. I don't like that stuff, either. There's real country out there, some pure, some mixed with different sub-genres sort of like taking sugar with medicine-makes it go down a little easier. :laughing:

I agree, the stuff that's on the radio is "poopy" to say the least!!! Personally, I enjoy the "old school" country; those classic songs that you can tell they actually felt something when they sang them, unlike the crap today that sounds like it's been cookie-cutter'ed to death! Unfortunately, the same can be said of a lot of the pop music today including hip-hop, rap and R&B. I've even read some comments from people who feel that the 90's were the "last great era" of music. Well, that may sound a little biased depending on one's age group but it does feel that way at times.
In the meantime, glad you enjoyed the Red Stick Ramblers and here's a little number by Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash. As one person put it, Johnny's not dead, he's busy teaching God how to play guitar :wink:

And just for good measure....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Maybe my opinion of country music will illuminate things a bit... I HATE most country that I've heard because most of it is so darn depressing. What I don't hate is anything that's used in the music, the twang, instruments, musical phrasing, but you know the joke, if you play a country song backwards...

In any case, I think most of us ENFJ's like _good_ music, and there's too much bad country music to be fair easily.

Well... I'll leave with a couple of almost-country songs that I've recently found and fell in love with...

·
Registered
223 Posts

as for everything else I do love it all, of course i enjoy some more then others, idk why, but some beats/form make me happier then others, and the happier a song makes me the more ill like it.

techno/idustrial/electronic is my favorite.
Reggae comes next,
then all forms of rock except metal.
hiphop/r&b
international taste
metal/misc
You're still wrong. You don't like everything 'except country'. There is so much music that you've not even heard or know exists. It's nice that you like a few things but I don't think anybody has as extensive a musical taste as you and a whole lot of other people claim.

As to the thread, in my experience musical taste has a lot more to do with culture and background than personality type. I've met few INFPs with similar musicals tastes to me, and the two concrete ENFJs that I know both have very similar backgrounds and so quite similar tastes, but ones different to anything anyone's expressed here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts