Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I write novellas (2 so far, a 3rd under way) that I just give away to family and friends. You know, self-published stuff. One pattern I've noticed - especially since I've started to hand them out to my MBTI group I co-lead - is a bad response due to the mature and darker themes in both works I've done so far. I'm told that since it's so "serious" and lacks comedic flair that the reader is uncomfortable given the discrepancy between the Moby they know and the story they read.

This primarily revolves around me being an ENFP and that I'm supposed to be "positive" in all things. This stereotype annoys me because it ignores the subtly in my work: the world isn't all sunshine and butterflies and while I DO believe ENFPs are filled with hope and a desire to help others, my writing is meant to warn people of the dangers of technology.

At the end of the day it's just a book. However, as some here may recall, my ENFJ now ex almost broke up with me after the third date (when she had completed one of my books) because the darker themes scared her.

Do you ever feel like you're a realistic observer of culture and that you're being "typecast" as a person into a mold you don't feel you fit in?

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Have we not typecast ourselves with MBTI? I feel like ENFP is a mold I don't fit in, not as a perfect typecast at least. I fear that's also not how outside observers view me at all.

I think it's a tragedy and fear the idea that you can't reveal your darker parts without people being shocked since, the ones closest to you should have nothing to be surprised by.

I find that different people in my life type me as different things. The patient empath or the warm and confident attention grabber or the sarcastic stoic Brit... and it's all varied based on what stage of my life they met me, how they met me and how much they have come to learn about me. I feel like these images I apparently project are contradictory yet also all true but some people assume you can't get the warmth and empathy from the sarcastic one... I guess it's that last image that shocks me most because people expect me to be harsher than I am. But they just haven't noticed that I am genuinely me at every level, they just need to dig down a little deeper to get to know those other levels of me.

·
Registered
ISTP
1,203 Posts
Lul. The stuff I've written I don't go handing around for precisely that reason. I guess it depends on how private you are, but at least as far as I am concerned, I am many different things to many different people, and crossrelating that, by showing some parts of me usually reserved for others, would create a wholesale confusion, even though all of that is me.

I don't think this is bad, though. Your parents aren't your friends aren't acquaintances. It's natural they'd see different sides. And it's not even that I'd strictly mind spill-overs, either, it's just I'd prefer to keep everyone else in their comfort zones, as long as it costs me nothing, and this doesn't.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts