Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could be thoughtful question, isn't it?:laughing:
Well, i think this is what we call Generation Y people. :wink:

I know some of my friends who love to hack just because they want to show others, we can also do it. :crazy:

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Cause they're losers and have nothing better to do.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Generation Y is not any teens from today. Generation Y were teenagers in the 90s.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Are we making the difference between proper hackers/crackers, and script kiddies? Most people I've met that claim to be hackers, are really just script kiddies that need to get laid.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Generation Y is not any teens from today. Generation Y were teenagers in the 90s.
"While there is no universally agreed upon time frame, the term generally includes people born in the[6] 1980s and early 1990s, sometimes including those born as late as the year 2000."

From the wikipedia article. Do read what you post.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
"While there is no universally agreed upon time frame, the term generally includes people born in the[6] 1980s and early 1990s, sometimes including those born as late as the year 2000."

From the wikipedia article. Do read what you post.
Oh, so it did not occur to you that I am of the opinion that those born after the 1990s are not a part of generation? I do not agree with that time feame.

Please, do understand what you try to correct.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Oh, so it did not occur to you that I am of the opinion that those born after the 1990s are not a part of generation? I do not agree with that time feame.

Please, do understand what you try to correct.
If you would like that. Then don't state an opinion as if it's fact, then link a page that differs from that...

Going by your definition would mean gen Y started in the early seventies...

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
80s and 90s, that's it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What do you mean by aggressive hacking? DDoS, password cracking, social engineering, executable cracking or just the general script kiddy nonsense?
In general, I think they feel like they need to prove something about themselves because they're insecure form their hormones going crazy. They try to over compensate by "uber pwning" people out of silly bits of data for bragging rights. That and DlusionAl's observation about all their free time. When I was a kid we played outside, the kids today play with malicious software and malicious intentions in the computer room.

Also, "sometimes" doesn't mean "all the time for everybody".

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Here are some reasons. It may be either one of those or combination of those (and maybe, just maybe, combination of all of them).

-> Lots of free time + nothing exciting to do
Yes, the hackers are bored teenagers in school. Who could say, that school is somehow fun? Maybe J's or something would say, that it is important, so you can't just let school go. And they have nothing to do these days, I mean - come on, who doesn't have computer today? Almost all the kids are sitting behind computer.

-> Challenge + Rebelion
This is motivation for vandalism too. It's something hard to do (well, in vandalism not), so it motivates lots of teenagers. I mean they can go to school next day and be all like "Yeah, I am the boss, I've been hacking sites all night long." And also it is illegal, and that's what teenagers do - illegal stuff and rebeling against authorities. "Because nobody says what I can and can't do!"

-> ??? PROFIT!
This is something, I don't think would motivate only teenagers for hacking. And not only hacking motivation. Hope you got it and I don't need to explain it, I am bad at explaining things.

-> Moving with the world
'Hackers have attacked XY site.' Yeah, just something from local news. Not actual, of course. I just am putting out... who wouldn't want to be mentioned in TV? And then high-five before TV with your bro/friend, which have been helping you? And be all like "Yeah, we've been mentioned in news, we are famous!"

There are, however, probably more of them.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have to agree with the whole script-kiddie thing. I've found a wealth of software out there that uses GUI that I'm sure my MOM, who is basically computer-illiterate, could use with no problem.

I've heard that the most skilled hackers come from places like...that Eurasian chunk of land over there.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
because you can find out shit about people you want to expose their secrets for yourself or to share with others who want to know their secrets.
sometimes you just wanna get nudes of someone, if you can do it, thats great
you teach people to be smarter online too
when they get hacked

plus its cool

·
Registered
139 Posts
When you say 'attacking' hackers, I presume you're thinking about groups like LulzSec? Where do government-contracted 'security firms' like HBGary fall in to the mix?

I'm not sure that gen-y hackers are more aggressive or attacking, but I do think the background and motives for gen-x hackers have been a bit different from most gen-y hackers.

If we're talking about generational theory as proposed by Strauss and Howe, the bounds for generation Y are around 1982-2002 or thereabouts. Those dates were chosen for reasons that correspond with generational theory and aren't pulled out of thin air (or at least not entirely). So gen-y does include some kids who were young teenagers in the mid-90s, though I'd usually attribute 90's hackers more to gen-x and 00's hackers to gen-y. We also have to assume common generational syncronicity, so just to make it clear, I'm only really talking about the US here.

Part of the defining experience for gen-x was the broken home or latchkey kid phenomenon, which is itself a manifestation of the whole reactive/nomad generational pattern. As a result of this experience, huge numbers of younger gen-xers were raised by their televisions and computers, growing up in environments largely deprived of true parental affection. Many (western) hackers of this generation simply wanted to burn the world out of anger, or grew up with huge amounts of nihilism or amoralism in their core. Still others were mindlessly bored, growing up in a world of stagnant economies and minimal opportunities for advancement. I think the most aggression probably came out of that first group; the nihilistic hackers eventually discovered each other and companionship in nerddom, and the bored ones eventually grew older and were well positioned to pounce on the dot-com boom.

I think Gen-y kids grew up with computers as a more natural and defining part of their experience, but were also raised by their parents in an entirely different manner. Parents were staying together in their marriages more frequently and were shifting their views of children from negative to positive, becoming more and more sheltering and protective - witness moral panics over satan-worshipping child abusers and helicopter parenting as examples of this. They also see a world of collapsing (rather than stagnating) economic opportunity, which is a pretty polarizing force. So gen-yers have generally had a more positivistic experience with their computers, have had a stronger parental support but also greater supervision and control. As hackers, they seem to be more strongly motivated towards political causes (probably heavily influenced by unhappiness with power inequalities in the world), with a more idealistic view of hacking than their gen-x cousins.

Gen-x had its share of moralistic hackers, but because of the whole Nomad distrust of authority, has been much more skeptical of political hacking (Cult of the Dead Cow being a notable exception to this rule).

So on the whole, it's not really clear to me that gen-y hackers have been more aggressive, but they've maybe been more numerous thanks to more of them growing up with computers, and are certainly more politically motivated than hackers of the past. And thanks to increased media coverage of hacktivism, we're definitely more aware of them!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts