Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Type threes are stereotyped as image conscious and vain, but why?

Threes consistently work to achieve, to better themselves, and to be better than the next guy (or all the other people in the immediate or expanded environment). In the physical realm, threes often strive to recieve signals of attraction from others. These hold import both purely for the fact that it means people find you more attractive, but also because of the social value conferred by being a desired individual. The best way to achieve this status level is by increasing your attractiveness by any means possible. This is not purely limited to clothing and grooming, but extends to exercise habits, social mastery and awareness, and expanding your friend group and relevant experiences.

I'm crazy tired because I just got home from a night out, following a day at school, which itself followed a late night out, so excuse any errors or in general any fucking weird shit I type. Just thought it'd be an interesting thing to point out, since threes are usually perceived as shallow and vain for their interest in their appearance. I find it to be less of a, "I want to be attractive," as much as it is, "I want to be the best of all the available men to the widest variety of worthwhile women (and the men who associate with them) because I can, just like I'm the best at everything else I've tried to achieve."

Little vanity. Great ambition.

Ya feel?

Reactions: INTJellectual

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
Ambition/vanity. They're really the same thing in your example. Ultimately, you're looking to be the best and be validated for being the best. Why? Because it suits your ego.

All the Enneagram fixations are shallow, really.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ambition/vanity. They're really the same thing in your example. Ultimately, you're looking to be the best and be validated for being the best. Why? Because it suits your ego.

All the Enneagram fixations are shallow, really.
Right, but the vanity is inspired by the ambition, rather than narcissism.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Personally, I'm only image conscious because my image is a reflection of myself. It is generally the first impression I can give, and the simplest way to express myself to people other than speaking to them. I suppose that it all leads towards my idea of perfection. I wouldn't really call it vanity though. I consider it trying to "be the best me" that I can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.