Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean, why and how to you think we are INTPs...
This type of test hasn't existed since the beginning of time...
So what made our brains think in this way...or anyway for that matter...
Did our brains just come out of the womb and go "Hmm let me think...this way!"
Don't think so..though could be for all I know.:confused:
Well I don't think I chose to think in this manner and definitely wasn't raised around it.
Nature vs. Nurture..*Sigh
I do think life could be easier as one of the more social, or common types...At least for me, in my opinion. I'm sure it's different for everyone.
Im just saying since it's such an uncommon type, why us?...
How...
Okay I am done rambling now.
Oh & on a side note...
What time do you think it was at the beginning of time?
:blushed:

Ok now I am done.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I blame God :crazy:

But I think that nature (genetics) sets up potentials, a glass ceiling, and that nurture (environment) determines how close to that potential we get.

·
Banned
140 Posts
I find comfort and strength in the fact that so many great minds that have help create and shape this world were intps.

I dont think we are born with a certain personality, I think we through our early childhood experiences choose a path to follow, maybe subconsciously.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well...INTP's are kind of a product of humanity's evolution...and are gorram lucky that humanity became as advanced as it is.

Evolutionarily speaking, the world favors SJ's (and SP's as well I suppose...just go with S's) in that back in the day when we were hunting wooly mammoths with sticks and such, the humans that were more focused on the present reality were more inclined to survive (mostly because they probably weren't thinking about the nuances of how fire is made at the time that tiger was about to gnaw their noses off.)

Lucky for us N's though, the S's saw a use for us, since maybe we knew how to make fire or build a wall or just improve society in some way, the evolutionarily superior protected us and basically used us to make their lives better....and this pattern certainly continued...the world's scientific and artistic advances mostly being made by N's (in general) and the S's kept on protecting us, keeping the wilds at bay while we focused on making things better for everyone.

So we INTP's were born this way as sort of an evolutionary fluke, not as apt at survival as our Sensing brethren but lucky enough to have been found a use for, we INTP's are here to try and make the world better, while everyone else keeps the world a'turnin'.

Granted this isn't even a theory, (theories need empirical evidence to back it up) so this is just more a quirky little idea I've had about the reason I am the way I am...welcome any comments or criticisms!

Also at the beginning of time there was nothing to perceive time, and since time is relative to the perceiver time didn't really exist...yay paradox!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Maybe it is because INTP started early and have always asked why? too much lol. First INTP thought, why am I out of the womb now? Who are these people? WTF is going on here?

This thread gives some insight into young INTP behavior and development http://personalitycafe.com/intp-articles/15683-development-intp-children.html
Haha, yes.

I do think that our personality is well developed by adolesense, and that we get influenced by our surroundings, but I don't belive that's all there is to it.

We don't always go by our surroudings. We get influenced by different people, befriend different people for different reasons, like different music for different reasons, ect. And though this could be the fact that we were raised a certain way, I believe it has alot to do with genetics and how our brain functions because you can raise both kids the same way, but they can turn out terribly different from one another.

You can take the Weasly family for instance. They all devoloped different personality types even though they were raised by the same people. The weasly family can be brought into a real life example easily compairing it with my mom's famliy. My mom would be Ron, my uncle Fred or George, my aunt a more dare devil-ish Ginny, and my aunt P Percy [though I don't really see her, the whole fleeing from family thing being Percy's specialty]

·
Banned
644 Posts
I started a thread ("Always an INTP?") weeks ago that explored this phenomenological topic. A number of responses claimed that they never did start out an INTP but as an EXXX. I also can attest to that. Nothingnew referenced the INTP Children thread and I was curious if a person's personality preferences went through evolution or if it were possibly fixed by the wiring of the brain at a young age. My thread suggested that our types can evolve at young age.

With respect to your MBTI type, I will say that one of the most impacting factors is your perception/idea of fulfillment. At a young age, children seek out gratification by either socializing(E) by inspecting oneself(I) for example. If they become deficient at one, they may adapt and switch to another preference to fulfill the void left by the other. This may happen unconsciously or consciously but typically in children it happens by the former.

Anyway, it makes sense because we are all inherently driven to experience fulfillment in some fashion and all 16 types, I think, have a different approach to seeking it out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I started a thread ("Always an INTP?") weeks ago that explored this phenomenological topic. A number of responses claimed that they never did start out an INTP but as an EXXX. I also can attest to that. Nothingnew referenced the INTP Children thread and I was curious if a person's personality preferences went through evolution or if it were possibly fixed by the wiring of the brain at a young age. My thread suggested that our types can evolve at young age.

With respect to your MBTI type, I will say that one of the most impacting factors is your perception/idea of fulfillment. At a young age, children seek out gratification by either socializing(E) by inspecting oneself(I) for example. If they become deficient at one, they may adapt and switch to another preference to fulfill the void left by the other. This may happen unconsciously or consciously but typically in children it happens by the former.

Anyway, it makes sense because we are all inherently driven to experience fulfillment in some fashion and all 16 types, I think, have a different approach to seeking it out.

Very much agreed! In my case I was usually told to stop asking those questions...
and it was assumed i asked them because i was a kid...
Now that i'm older I feel like I accepted the fact that no one really cares about whatever I seemed to be asking. Don't think I was so much deficient in one or the other though...Kids at some point probably just figure out they enjoy one more than the other..I just wonder where this way of thinking comes about since
at a young age kids already show they're differences.. I think I have been an INTP ever since I can remember...I thought the same way I kind of do now, and kind of felt like a kid with a lot of common sense....
I just figured everyone thought the same way and wondered similar things if you just got to know them better..
Boy was I wrong.. :blushed:

Anyways I went on some random rant at some point forgive me.
Point is I think fulfillment has alot to do with it..but I also think there is a lot more to it
None the less what you had to say sounds very close to my opinion of it all...
I still wonder though..:cool:

Reactions: Abyss Soul

·
Registered
817 Posts
Well...INTP's are kind of a product of humanity's evolution...and are gorram lucky that humanity became as advanced as it is.

Evolutionarily speaking, the world favors SJ's (and SP's as well I suppose...just go with S's) in that back in the day when we were hunting wooly mammoths with sticks and such, the humans that were more focused on the present reality were more inclined to survive (mostly because they probably weren't thinking about the nuances of how fire is made at the time that tiger was about to gnaw their noses off.)

Lucky for us N's though, the S's saw a use for us, since maybe we knew how to make fire or build a wall or just improve society in some way, the evolutionarily superior protected us and basically used us to make their lives better....and this pattern certainly continued...the world's scientific and artistic advances mostly being made by N's (in general) and the S's kept on protecting us, keeping the wilds at bay while we focused on making things better for everyone.

So we INTP's were born this way as sort of an evolutionary fluke, not as apt at survival as our Sensing brethren but lucky enough to have been found a use for, we INTP's are here to try and make the world better, while everyone else keeps the world a'turnin'.

Granted this isn't even a theory, (theories need empirical evidence to back it up) so this is just more a quirky little idea I've had about the reason I am the way I am...welcome any comments or criticisms!

Also at the beginning of time there was nothing to perceive time, and since time is relative to the perceiver time didn't really exist...yay paradox!
I think it makes perfect sense and I've explained this here before. The large majority of peoples' mind's aren't built for such time consuming ventures like thinking and introspection. A sensor's quick glance of something, assigning it a label, and moving onto the next thing better suits his/her primary interest which is survival (thanks, Plato...). It's fun to speculate why intuitive brain types evolved. I'm guessing somewhere in the first ten-million years of our existence, humans needed a better understanding of how things worked and more strategical outlooks on how to fend off threats and treat things like famine, disease, etc. Of course it would have been of almost no use which would also contribute to the rarity of such a brain type.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I think genetics are a very tiny part of how we turn out (mothers often see the earliest form of a personality before they are sentient), but it is environment on the whole, which has been said. And as we develop, I think certain kids chose their niche, and ultimately there is a balance of society. Although INTP are (supposedly) a rarer type on the whole, I think nature, culture and the environment in which they are born in develops the correct balance of types. After all, guys, although we're near damn perfect we need the others.:laughing:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I mean, why and how to you think we are INTPs...
This type of test hasn't existed since the beginning of time...
So what made our brains think in this way...or anyway for that matter...
Did our brains just come out of the womb and go "Hmm let me think...this way!"
Don't think so..though could be for all I know.:confused:
Well I don't think I chose to think in this manner and definitely wasn't raised around it.
Nature vs. Nurture..*Sigh
I do think life could be easier as one of the more social, or common types...At least for me, in my opinion. I'm sure it's different for everyone.
Im just saying since it's such an uncommon type, why us?...
How...
Okay I am done rambling now.
Oh & on a side note...
What time do you think it was at the beginning of time?
:blushed:

Ok now I am done.
Life needs those INTP's. -- And I Have loved Einstein since I was a little girl.

But, let's look at this Logically for a moment. The world didn't need too many Einstein's because just one discovered so much within his lifetime. I'm not saying that you need to be an Einstein but your effect on this world may be large than it appears. You'll never really know until later.

I believe that each person is different from the other and that yes, perhaps we were born with a certain bend to us. (Brain patterns) Every one of my own children is a different type, and I need it this way, as my view of the world would be too small otherwise.

Love your difference... because I do. :wink:

·
Banned
369 Posts
16 types all with a specific gift or purpose. Ant colonies have different types of ants to do each task. Humans are no different. We need workers, leaders, caregivers, protectors and thinkers. And in balance for it to work, too many thinkers and not enough workers ect. and nothing gets done. Genetics takes care of the balance. INTPs are the dreamers and thinkers. That is our purpose and that is why there is so few of us. Just enough sprinkled in to move society forward and tell the rest of the world how screwed up it is. Nothing is ramdom.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
somehow you were useful to a tribe in hunting mammoth
but having too many of you apparently was not useful, so percentage was kept low at around 3-4%
2-3 INTPs can probably philosophically debate with each other about new tactics for putting that mammoth down but entire tribe of INTPs would forget to do it at all and die out from hunger

·
Registered
220 Posts
The diminutive number of 3% is nothing limited to the INTP, though. SJ's represent 53% of the total population according to Myers. Of the remaining 12 types, the dispersion is negligible compared to the dominance of the SJ. And of these, INTP score just as high as any other NT.

Thinking back to the period where the modern human evolved for the majority of his ancestry, it is worth while to imagine todays population millions of years ago. The game was hunting and gathering, and SJ's were the muscle, SP the craftsmen, NF's kept spirits high, and NT's ran managerial duties. IMHO

These are gross generalizations, but that's what science is for

·
Registered
135 Posts
Because God.

Reactions: DeepDownImShallow

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I think a lot of INxx people feel that way at some point in their life, at least to some degree. The fact is though, that we each have our strengths and weaknesses. I originally scored as INTP, although through research discovered I was INFP... I just have a really low, borderline-T F. I get the social awkwardness and all that comes with that. So I do sympathize, but there's no way I would want to change who I am just to fit in better with society. I don't think you should either, but hey, don't let me tell you what to do either. Just know that INTPs are awesome people and that a lot of them have changed the world... usually for the better.

We have to stick together. INFPs and INTPs are companions, according to Typelogic anyway. We should be in each other's adventuring parties (think Lord of the Rings or an RPG), as an INFJ I know said. We need each other at times to get through this S-filled world. Not that there is anything wrong with S's, just that sometimes they can inadvertently make of us feel like we're crazy or the world is.

·
Banned
2,728 Posts
I dont think we are born into this, and Im having a hard time buying into "types" these days... Really takes away from the core of what we are, conscious beings, part of a much larger consciousness.... The rest is semantics...

In fact, I feel im wrong to even label myself anymore.. This creates the impression I am defined by something... A set of specific parameters.. Not very abstract imo, and we think so abstractly dont we..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts