Personality Cafe banner

Why would an ENTP be a good professional writer..?

[ENTP] 
6K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  The3Percent 
#1 ·
Don't ENTPs thrive on energy from being around people? Writing seems like a fairly solitary profession...

As I'm writing this I thought maybe it's because as a writer you have so much spare time or can make your own schedule more or less so socializing is easier?

#2 ·
I'm a writer so I can contribute something...

The best part: the possibilities are endless. The stories I generate are very convoluted and fun and unique. For example, right now I'm writing a story about a man with 3D printed heart and a woman with a mechanical hand who fall in love. It's awesome.

The worst part: focusing. I fall through too many rabbit holes. I want to socialize.

But typically I think NP types can be great storytellers. We can draw on a lot of different sources. It can also be competitive, like in television and film, and that has a certain appeal. I relate a lot to the TV writer Joss Whedon in his personality and how he just likes to create his own worlds and play with metaphors thematically and visually.

#3 ·
Technical writing can be done in teams, too-- I have an ISFJ friend who works in a managing position in the technical writing department but worked her way up through the ranks. I find ISFJs (being sociable introverts) have fairly similar needs for social interaction at work than ENTPs (the least social extroverts) generally do, so it's not the worst option from that perspective alone.

#4 ·
I can say I would be a terrible writer. It's too lonely and I would have too much room to procrastinate. Or I would have a great idea, start a book, and then decide it was not as interesting as I originally thought. But fortunately I would have an even better idea. So I would start that book, and the cycle would continue from there.

I have had ideas for books though. Non-fiction, political or social theory type books. I just know I don't have the discipline required to actually do it. Maybe a blog would be a better idea for me.

#5 ·
I've done a good amount of writing professionally, but my focus is in writing copy for advertisements and websites. Copy writing is different from being an author or a technical writer, because you can focus on a single header line for several days, brainstorming and going through creative processes until you find something perfect and unique. Often I do my best work from coffee shops, or while talking to friends and scribbling in my notebook.

#6 ·
For many reasons. Also, Ne+Ti is probably the best possible combo for storytelling in an unique way. I have written 13 books. But procrastination is a b*tch, I gotta say that. I'd still say INTPs have some advantage over ENTPs on this.

#7 ·
A few are more creative-writing oriented, but:

* We work well under time pressure.
* NT in general, but I would argue Ti specifically, is exacting and can use language to meet precise needs, and Ne churns the analogical, symbolic side of writing.
* Our wide interests and background of experience serve as a necessary basis to draw information and inspiration from.
* We can escape into, away from, as desired.

#8 ·
You can still engage Ne through writing.
That said, myself, I'm like the main character in Limitless, without the magic pill. :tongue: I have ambitions, but no followthrough or motivation, so the page stays blank a lot of the time. Or I start, then delete it, and start over.

The only exception to that was when I pulled my hair through the month of November 2013 for NaNoWriMo.

#9 ·
Well, I imagine many ENTPs would have an incredible knack for journalism and editorial work, which are technically both in the realm of professional writing.

In regards to novel-writing, Ne is inventive and symbolic, and Ti is logically consistent, so there's potential for a well put-together, unique storyline. Of course, INTPs would be far more oriented towards such a career, as it is a solitary profession.

Has someone told you ENTPs are gifted writers? I'm curious about the motivation behind this question.

#10 ·
Has someone told you ENTPs are gifted writers? I'm curious about the motivation behind this question.
Thanks for the feedback everybody.

Vulpine: Everything I have written about anything people have said was great. And, I enjoy writing a lot, but, I suffer from ENTPism where I have the first 20 pages of 700 different books written. I can't even stick with a single blog for a week. I have changed my blog name and concept like 500 times. The catch is that I know I'm good at it and I enjoy it and a lot of ENTP profiles suggest writing as a good career choice. That is why I posed the question, to try and fetch some of the negative thoughts and other's opinions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.